Speaking of bunnies

Old July 29th 05, 02:41 PM
Claire Petersky

Default Speaking of bunnies

On a local commuter board, there's been some discussion about how this year
there appears to be a population explosion of bunnies out there. Normally, I
might see a bunny once or twice a year. This riding season, I've seen a
bunny once or twice *a ride*. There was also an article in the paper about
how there this year the warren out by Woodland Park had suddenly become out
of control, and that the rabbits would have to relocated.

I am curious if other cyclists in the same climate zone (Portland to
Vancouver or so) have similarly noticed an increase of the local rabbit
population, or is this a strictly local phenomenon? Do you think the mild
winter and cool wet spring have something to do with it? Or do we have some
sort of decrease in the predator population? Thoughts?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old July 29th 05, 02:47 PM
wafflycat

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
On a local commuter board, there's been some discussion about how this
year there appears to be a population explosion of bunnies out there.
Normally, I might see a bunny once or twice a year. This riding season,
I've seen a bunny once or twice *a ride*. There was also an article in the
paper about how there this year the warren out by Woodland Park had
suddenly become out of control, and that the rabbits would have to
relocated.

I am curious if other cyclists in the same climate zone (Portland to
Vancouver or so) have similarly noticed an increase of the local rabbit
population, or is this a strictly local phenomenon? Do you think the mild
winter and cool wet spring have something to do with it? Or do we have
some sort of decrease in the predator population? Thoughts?

A continent away.... Loads of bunnies in my part of the world. One of my
cats has a thing about hunting bunnies: perhaps your Woodland Park needs a
cat or two ;-) The university local to me, University of East Anglia in
Norwich has a campus filled with bunnies. As my teenage son has been known
to remark on occasion he's been on campus with me, "Well a poverty-stricken
student shouldn't starve round here..."

Cheers, helen s ;-)

Old July 29th 05, 03:01 PM
lowkey

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
On a local commuter board, there's been some discussion about how this
year there appears to be a population explosion of bunnies out there.
Normally, I might see a bunny once or twice a year. This riding season,
I've seen a bunny once or twice *a ride*. There was also an article in the
paper about how there this year the warren out by Woodland Park had
suddenly become out of control, and that the rabbits would have to
relocated.

I am curious if other cyclists in the same climate zone (Portland to
Vancouver or so) have similarly noticed an increase of the local rabbit
population, or is this a strictly local phenomenon? Do you think the mild
winter and cool wet spring have something to do with it? Or do we have
some sort of decrease in the predator population? Thoughts?

Have you ridden at night more?

I'm wa-a-a-a-a-y outside your geographic zone but I went on another ride
last night. Rabbits are nocturnal. While I've seen maybe one rabbit in
daytime this season I've spied literally over a dozen on night and pre-dawn
rides - pretty much every night ride that passes a grassy area. But that
isn't unusual to this season. They come out at night to munch on the grass,
safe from predators.

Actually I was thinking they might look a little scrawny this year. While
not a drought year we did have a rainless stretch in July that stressed
grass lawns. That might have affected the wascally wabbits.

As an extension of the 'disgusting thread of road kill' maybe people can
submit life lists of animals they've seen

My sightings are pretty pedestrian. Most to least common:

Black Squirrels
Grey Squirrels
Canada Geese
Deer
Mallard Ducks
Groundhogs
Other avians
Rabbits
Skunks
Chipmunks
Loons
Raccoons
Heron
Coyote [I think]

--
'People are strange when you're a stranger,
Faces look ugly when you're alone

Old July 29th 05, 03:39 PM
Aspiring Tortoise

[...]

Not the same climate as I am in the Chihuahuan desert, but I have
noticed a great increase in the rabbit population as well, even a few
in my backyard. I attribute it to higher than average rainfall during
the peak breeding season. I have seen fewer coyotes and have heard no
reports of mountain lions this year so I imagine the coyotes and lions
have sufficient prey in the more remote areas and aren't required to
visit us more often. Better enforcement of leash laws may also be a
factor.

Old July 29th 05, 03:45 PM
Aspiring Tortoise

Aspiring Tortoise wrote in message

[...]

Something else just occurred to me. My city is built around a mountain
range, and construction is proceeding further and further up the
mountains. It is likely the construction is taking up mountain lion
habitat especially.

Old July 29th 05, 03:55 PM
jj

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 06:41:22 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

On a local commuter board, there's been some discussion about how this year
there appears to be a population explosion of bunnies out there. Normally, I
might see a bunny once or twice a year. This riding season, I've seen a
bunny once or twice *a ride*. There was also an article in the paper about
how there this year the warren out by Woodland Park had suddenly become out
of control, and that the rabbits would have to relocated.

I am curious if other cyclists in the same climate zone (Portland to
Vancouver or so) have similarly noticed an increase of the local rabbit
population, or is this a strictly local phenomenon? Do you think the mild
winter and cool wet spring have something to do with it? Or do we have some
sort of decrease in the predator population? Thoughts?

When I'm in a spot of bother I imagine I'm being pursued by rabid bunnies.
It helps me to kick up the pace, because, believe me, nobody wants to be
caught by hydrophobic Lagomorphae!

jj

Old July 29th 05, 04:23 PM
SlowRider

Funny you should mention that. I've noticed more than the usual number
of rabbits and snakes on/near the road this year. I'm in Colorado, so
not quite in your zone.

I saw a bunch of bunnies yesterday, about 30 minutes before sundown. I
saw a small group of mule deer, too, including a gorgeous buck.
Overall, it's been a good year for wildlife sightings in this area.

-JR

Old July 29th 05, 04:24 PM
SlowRider

Funny you should mention that. I've noticed more than the usual number
of rabbits and snakes on/near the road this year. I'm in Colorado, so
not quite in your zone.

I saw a bunch of bunnies yesterday, about 30 minutes before sundown. I
saw a small group of mule deer, too, including a gorgeous buck. A few
weeks ago I had a bull elk cross my path on an early morning ride --
intimidating, but exhilirating, too. Overall, it's been a good year

Old July 29th 05, 05:11 PM
Leo Lichtman

"lowkey" wrote: (clip) My sightings are pretty pedestrian. (clip)
A little OT. Why don't you report your "cyclic" sightings?

Old July 29th 05, 05:36 PM
lowkey

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"lowkey" wrote: (clip) My sightings are pretty pedestrian. (clip)
A little OT. Why don't you report your "cyclic" sightings?

Are you being facetious?