Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

Old August 18th 09, 09:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
KingOfTheApes

Default Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket. I'm starting to feel persecuted. Even the cops give me a long
look over. On the flip-side I was driving through Boston and Cambridge
yesterday. WOW! Peddlebike Meca! All KINDS of bikes, every where with
all kinds of riders. I was all like...wow......."

***

It's the same down here, particularly when you carry panniers ("bags"
to the lay people). Actually I'm so pro about it that I don't know if
I look like a VIP hobo or eccentric millionaire. I like to consider
myself an ECCENTRIC PENNYLESS, but some people fail to get the
distinction between that an hobo, or between that and a millionaire.

I have even made a t-shirt that announces that in bold letters, so
there's no confusion.

"I'm an ECCENTRIC PENNYLESS"

In a land where SUVs rule, it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid
to ride a bike... But a man gotta do, what a man gotta do.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old August 18th 09, 10:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Cully J

On Aug 18, 3:03*pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:
[...]

Pretty soon gas will be a lot more expensive that people will think
that those of us who have been riding bikes are, the opposite of
"hobos", totally wealthy folks...
Old August 19th 09, 12:29 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
In a land where SUVs rule, it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid
to ride a bike... But a man gotta do, what a man gotta do.

*http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Pretty soon gas will be a lot more expensive that people will think
that those of us who have been riding bikes are, the opposite of
"hobos", totally wealthy folks...- Hide quoted text -

I've been praying for that for a long time, but God seems to be on the
side of the polluters.
Old August 19th 09, 12:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per KingOfTheApes:
"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket...

Last year one of the bike mags did a story whose essence was
pointing out that in one major West-coast city, the majority of
bike riders were people who could not afford public
transportation.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 19th 09, 02:40 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per KingOfTheApes:
"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket...

Last year one of the bike mags did a story whose essence was
pointing out that in one major West-coast city, the majority of
bike riders were people who could not afford public
transportation.

I believe it.

I'm a cyclist and a taxpayer and I sure can't afford the
rate of flow down the public transit money rathole.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old August 19th 09, 02:48 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
KingOfTheApes

On Aug 18, 9:40*pm, AMuzi wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per KingOfTheApes:
"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket...

Last year one of the bike mags did a story whose essence was
pointing out that in one major West-coast city, the majority of
bike riders were people who could not afford public
transportation.

I believe it.

I'm a cyclist and a taxpayer and I sure can't afford the
rate of flow down the public transit money rathole.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

And it sucks! At best it works in combination with bikes: The bus is
late? You take off on your bike!
Old August 19th 09, 03:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 18, 6:31*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per KingOfTheApes:

"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket...

Last year one of the bike mags did a story whose essence was
pointing out that in one major West-coast city, the majority of
bike riders were people who could not afford public
transportation.
--
PeteCresswell

It was Bicycling magazine I think. And Los Angeles was the town
discussed. But it was not people who could not afford public
transportation as the subject. Public transport is cheap. Even
$2-3-4-5 each way for bus or subway. Compared to gas and parking,
cheap cheap cheap. Especially parking. The main bike riders were
homeless, unemployed, day laborers, poor people in this magazine
article. They could not afford a car, gas, insurance, parking, etc,
etc. Lots of costs with owning a car.
Old August 19th 09, 03:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Aug 19, 10:11*am, "
wrote:
[...]

I call them the "SURVIVORS"... Those poor souls don't even know bikes
are good for the environment, and probably wished they had a car.

The solution is to GET RID OF HOMELESSNESS, which I think our rich
societies can afford.

Here the homeless and the fashionable (see post elsewhere) converge at
the local park, where the down and out spend the whole day --and
night.
Old August 19th 09, 04:39 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Neil Brooks

On Aug 18, 5:29*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
On Aug 18, 5:54*pm, Cully J wrote:

[...]

At the risk of asking silly questions, aren't you BOTH "Comandante
Banana" AND "King Of The Apes?"

Aren't you, then, arguing against yourself on this forum?

There's a pill for that, you know....
Old August 19th 09, 05:15 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

---------------------------------------------------------------------------**-----
In a land where SUVs rule, it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid
to ride a bike... But a man gotta do, what a man gotta do.

*http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Pretty soon gas will be a lot more expensive that people will think
that those of us who have been riding bikes are, the opposite of
"hobos", totally wealthy folks...- Hide quoted text -

I've been praying for that for a long time, but God seems to be on the
side of the polluters.

At the risk of asking silly questions, aren't you BOTH "Comandante
Banana" AND "King Of The Apes?"

Aren't you, then, arguing against yourself on this forum?

There's a pill for that, you know....- Hide quoted text -

I thought they were both related to monkeys. I will be Comandante
Banana until the final stage of the revolution, and then I'll become
King of the Apes.