Recumbents in Amsterdam?

Old December 22nd 09, 07:06 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
[email protected][_2_]

Default Recumbents in Amsterdam?

Years ago when I was vacationing in Europe, I was happily awestruck by
the great number of cyclists there. It seems as though the bike has
replaced the car as their main mode of transport.

However, I don't remember seeing many (or, any?) recumbent bikes
there.

At the time I was an avid rider of standard bicycles, so maybe I just
wasn't looking hard enough?

Cullen
Appleton, WI
Old December 24th 09, 11:41 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
DougC

On 12/22/2009 12:06 PM, wrote:
Years ago when I was vacationing in Europe, I was happily awestruck by
the great number of cyclists there. It seems as though the bike has
replaced the car as their main mode of transport.

However, I don't remember seeing many (or, any?) recumbent bikes
there.

At the time I was an avid rider of standard bicycles, so maybe I just
wasn't looking hard enough?

Cullen
Appleton, WI

I've never been so I don't know first-hand, but have read that the
percentage there is about the same as everywhere else--that is,
something well under 1%.

Lots of people commute by bicycle in Amsterdam, but the vast majority of
trips are rather short--something like 80% are less than 3.5 miles.
(there's a website somewhere that has government statistics)
The comfort benefits of a recumbent aren't really obvious in such a
short distance, so I'm not surprised there's not more converts there
than elsewhere.

-And really, most bicycles you see in the Euro bicycling meccas are
utility models very-much /not/ efficient for long distances. For a few
blocks they work great, but if you're riding 50-75-100 miles at a crack,
you will want something that is built for performance--regardless of if
you want that performance upright or reclined.
~
Old December 24th 09, 02:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 24, 4:41*am, DougC wrote:
On 12/22/2009 12:06 PM, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your response.

Do you think recumbents lack the lack the utilitarianism that uprights
have?

Cullen
Old December 24th 09, 06:18 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
DougC

On 12/24/2009 7:14 AM, wrote:
On Dec 24, 4:41 am, wrote:
On 12/22/2009 12:06 PM, wrote:

[...]

Well,,,,,, yes.
A lot of the Dutch bikes have large front and rear racks for strapping
oversized "stuff" to (rather than just hanging custom-fitted bicycle
touring bags on). Most recumbents have no front carrying capacity at
all, and often not much rear either.
~

Amsterdam Sixday Ted van de Weteringe Racing 7 October 30th 08 02:43 AM
Impressions of Amsterdam Judith UK 24 April 15th 06 12:25 PM
Zesdaagse van Amsterdam trg Racing 30 November 9th 05 04:45 AM
Amsterdam to Paris Richard Tack Rides 5 September 13th 04 02:42 AM
Where are the unicycles in Amsterdam? [email protected] Unicycling 7 September 18th 03 07:22 PM