Does White carbon weigh more than black carbon??

Old August 15th 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
vintage

Default Does White carbon weigh more than black carbon??

I've seen a few of the same products available in both black and
white(really greyish) carbon and the white stuff seems heavier. Only by a
few grams though.

Is there any truth to this tech heads??

Whats the cause if it is?

Old August 15th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Blair P. Houghton

vintage wrote:
I've seen a few of the same products available in both black and
white(really greyish) carbon and the white stuff seems heavier. Only by a
few grams though.

Is there any truth to this tech heads??

Whats the cause if it is?

Maybe it's not carbon fiber (see last post):

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=81268&page=1

It is awesomely pretty, though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../Tk9729-LG.jpg

--Blair

Old August 15th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

vintage wrote:
I've seen a few of the same products available in both black and
white(really greyish) carbon and the white stuff seems heavier. Only by a
few grams though.

Is there any truth to this tech heads??

Whats the cause if it is?

I say forget black or white carbon and get NUDE:

http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/s...e&perpage= 12

Old August 15th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

vintage wrote:
I've seen a few of the same products available in both black and
white(really greyish) carbon and the white stuff seems heavier. Only by a
few grams though.

Is there any truth to this tech heads??

Whats the cause if it is?

Your perceptions are the reverse of reality. Black absorbs all (or
most) of the photons that strike it, whereas white reflects them.
Given that the black and white "carbon" are actually the same material,
the additional photons absorbed by the black adds up to slightly more
weight (by the picogram).

D'ohBoy

Old August 15th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
wvantwiller

"D'ohBoy" wrote in
oups.com:

vintage wrote:
I've seen a few of the same products available in both black and
white(really greyish) carbon and the white stuff seems heavier. Only
by a few grams though.

Is there any truth to this tech heads??

Whats the cause if it is?

Your perceptions are the reverse of reality. Black absorbs all (or
most) of the photons that strike it, whereas white reflects them.
Given that the black and white "carbon" are actually the same
material, the additional photons absorbed by the black adds up to
slightly more weight (by the picogram).

D'ohBoy

Are you allowing for the recoil from the white carbon's re-emitted photons?

That's a dmv/dt, isn't it?
Old August 17th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

D'ohBoy wrote:

Whats the cause if it is?

Your perceptions are the reverse of reality. Black absorbs all (or
most) of the photons that strike it, whereas white reflects them.
Given that the black and white "carbon" are actually the same material,
the additional photons absorbed by the black adds up to slightly more
weight (by the picogram).

Photons can't have mass.
Old August 18th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Blair P. Houghton

Paul Cassel wrote:
D'ohBoy wrote:
Whats the cause if it is?

Your perceptions are the reverse of reality. Black absorbs all (or
most) of the photons that strike it, whereas white reflects them.
Given that the black and white "carbon" are actually the same material,
the additional photons absorbed by the black adds up to slightly more
weight (by the picogram).

Photons can't have mass.

Funny, they don't look Jewish...

--Blair

Old August 18th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Friday

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
Paul Cassel wrote:

D'ohBoy wrote:

Whats the cause if it is?

Your perceptions are the reverse of reality. Black absorbs all (or
most) of the photons that strike it, whereas white reflects them.
Given that the black and white "carbon" are actually the same material,
the additional photons absorbed by the black adds up to slightly more
weight (by the picogram).

Photons can't have mass.

Funny, they don't look Jewish...

--Blair

But they've seen the light Brother!

Friday
Old August 18th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
Paul Cassel wrote:

Photons can't have mass.

Funny, they don't look Jewish...

/No mas/, /no mas/...

Bill "weren't there religious Photons on Star Trek?" S.

Old August 18th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Paul Cassel wrote:

D'ohBoy wrote:

Whats the cause if it is?

Your perceptions are the reverse of reality. Black absorbs all (or
most) of the photons that strike it, whereas white reflects them.
Given that the black and white "carbon" are actually the same material,
the additional photons absorbed by the black adds up to slightly more
weight (by the picogram).

Photons can't have mass.

That is because they do not exist.

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/9711046

The myth of the photon
Author: Trevor W. Marshall, Emilio Santos
(Mathematics Dept., Manchester Univ.
and Univ. de Cantabria)

Report-no: MUM-97-14
We have shown that all "single-photon" and "photon-pair"
states, produced in atomic transitions, and in parametric
down conversion by nonlinear optical crystals, may be
represented by positive Wigner densities of the relevant
sets of mode amplitudes. The light fields of all such
states are represented as a real probability ensemble (not
a pseudoensemble) of solutions of the unquantized Maxwell
equation. The local realist analysis of light-detection
events in spatially separated detectors requires a theory
of detection which goes beyond the currently fashionable
single-mode photon theory. It also requires us to
recognize that there is a payoff between detector
efficiency and signal-noise discrimination. Using such a
theory, we have demonstrated that all experimental data,
both in atomic cascades and in parametric down
conversions, have a consistent local realist explanation
based on the unquantized Maxwell field. Finally we discuss
current attempts to demonstrate Schroedinger-cat-like
behaviour of microwave cavities interacting with Rydberg
atoms. Here also we demonstrate that there is no
experimental evidence which cannot be described by the
unquantized Maxwell field. We conclude that misuse of the
Photon Concept has resulted in a mistaken recognition of
"nonlocal" phenomena.

Also

Collective electrodynamics: Quantum Foundations of
Electromagnetism
Carver Mead, Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, 2000.
ISBN: 0262133784

--
Michael Press