Cyclist catches suited driver watching TV

Old January 24th 20, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Cyclist catches suited driver watching TV

QUOTE:
A cyclist from Leatherhead has warned of the "growing menace" of motorists using their mobile phones after repeatedly catching drivers breaking the law.

Jamie Wasley was cycling on the A24 Dorking Road in Epsom, near the hospital, at around 8.30am on Tuesday (January 21) when he spotted the latest culprit.

"One car was drifting left quite a lot, and there were school children walking along the pavement," the 41-year-old told SurreyLive.

"I could see the car's driving area lit up. I got beside the car and the driver, a man in a suit around his mid-30s, was watching the news, live TV via Facebook. I gently knocked on the window and said, 'what are you doing?' And told him he should be paying attention.

"He replied 'whatever'. He genuinely thought that he wasn't doing anything wrong. People get in their cars and they're cocooned, but your driving licence is a privilege, not a right."

Mr Wasley says he has noticed more and more drivers watching content on their phones.

"If you were to go down there one morning, I would say around one in three to four drivers are doing something on their mobile phones," he said.

"It's a growing menace, the police do a fantastic job given their resources but they cannot be there all of the time. People need to take responsibility for their actions. It's a killer, it's so dangerous."

The penalty for being caught using your phone while driving is six points on your licence and a £200 fine. Mr Wasley has reported the driver to police.

Sergeant Dan Pascoe, who has been with the Surrey Roads Policing Unit for more than 12 years, says studies show that a motorist using their phone shows similar concentration levels to a drink driver.

"In a queue at the Stoke crossroads in Guildford the other day we were in a marked 4x4 police vehicle and we spotted the driver of a recovery vehicle sitting there on his phone," Sgt Pascoe said. "We took 30 seconds of video of him before he noticed us, which shows the level of distraction, even when stationary."

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/sur...river-17617188