A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Assembly of Di2

Old January 9th 20, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Assembly of Di2

It occurs to me that I should install the hydraulic brakes before I attach the electronic wiring. What do you think?
Ads
Old January 12th 20, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Assembly of Di2

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:43:42 AM UTC-8, wrote:
It occurs to me that I should install the hydraulic brakes before I attach the electronic wiring. What do you think?

The last electric component is supposed to be delivered tomorrow but I can't get any accurate reading on the hydraulic hoses and the bleed kit. They might be delivered tomorrow or in three weeks and the tracking isn't like it was before where it showed every post office it went through. Now it just shows "in transit" or "arrived" and "out for delivery".
Old January 12th 20, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Assembly of Di2

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:43:42 AM UTC-8, wrote:

The idea I have to test this on my Redline CX bike. If I like the Di2 as Lou says I will, I will get another road bike upon which I can fit disk brakes and then sell the Redline off. There is a pretty good market for framesets even though fully assembled bikes are VERY slow. Kind of stupid since most of the funny assembled bike can be had for $100 more than the frameset and with decent components on them.
Old January 16th 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Assembly of Di2

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:43:42 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:

I now have all of the electrical wiring and I have fitted another tool box to be used with Di2. I intend to fit the hydraulic brakes before putting the wiring on. Since I haven't bled brakes before I want to make sure that if I slash hydraulic fluid all over the place I can clean it up before the electrical connections are completed.
Old January 27th 20, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Assembly of Di2

Well, I have put the Di2 together. And nothing works. The possible sources of error a

1. The wiring is incorrect. I assumed that the left and right shifters would go into the left and right connector of to two holes of the 5 hole Stem unit. The manual is not clear about this so it was ad lib.

2. The new battery could be flat. I have no way of measuring the voltage under load but the unloaded voltage is 8 volts and Shimano says that 7 something volts is a full charge. I bought a new charger but I don't think it was new since it didn't come in a box or sealed plastic bag and when I questioned the seller he promptly returned my money and said that I could keep the charger. Looking at the output voltage it measures zero but I don't know what the charging circuitry is. It could turn off with no detectable load. Hmmm. So I bought another "new" charger and hopefully this one will work.

So the question is this: Could the battery be so flat that the unit wouldn't turn on?
Old January 28th 20, 10:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Assembly of Di2

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 1:59:08 AM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

Well, I have put the Di2 together. And nothing works. The possible sources of error a

1. The wiring is incorrect. I assumed that the left and right shifters would go into the left and right connector of to two holes of the 5 hole Stem unit. The manual is not clear about this so it was ad lib.

2. The new battery could be flat. I have no way of measuring the voltage under load but the unloaded voltage is 8 volts and Shimano says that 7 something volts is a full charge. I bought a new charger but I don't think it was new since it didn't come in a box or sealed plastic bag and when I questioned the seller he promptly returned my money and said that I could keep the charger. Looking at the output voltage it measures zero but I don't know what the charging circuitry is. It could turn off with no detectable load. Hmmm. So I bought another "new" charger and hopefully this one will work.

So the question is this: Could the battery be so flat that the unit wouldn't turn on?

Possible, but I never came across a new battery out of the box that was so dead that it wasn't able to power a led.

Lou
Old January 29th 20, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Assembly of Di2

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 1:40:42 AM UTC-8, wrote:

2. The new battery could be flat. I have no way of measuring the voltage under load but the unloaded voltage is 8 volts and Shimano says that 7 something volts is a full charge. I bought a new charger but I don't think it was new since it didn't come in a box or sealed plastic bag and when I questioned the seller he promptly returned my money and said that I could keep the charger. Looking at the output voltage it measures zero but I don't know what the charging circuitry is. It could turn off with no detectable load. Hmmm. So I bought another "new" charger and hopefully this one will work..

Possible, but I never came across a new battery out of the box that was so dead that it wasn't able to power a led.

Lou

I find it curious as well. Nut Lithium Ion batteries are odd works. Perhaps plugging it into the battery charger whish isn't working drained the battery. And the high voltage measurement I got was because there was no load on it.

In any case the new charger should arrive Friday and I'll test the charge again.

Otherwise I'll have to replace the stem unit. I have no idea why his stem junction box is a five port unless he was running TT bars with end shifters.
Old January 29th 20, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default Assembly of Di2

On 1/28/2020 6:59 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Lou

I find it curious as well. Nut Lithium Ion batteries are odd works. Perhaps plugging it into the battery charger whish isn't working drained the battery. And the high voltage measurement I got was because there was no load on it.

In any case the new charger should arrive Friday and I'll test the charge again.

Otherwise I'll have to replace the stem unit. I have no idea why his stem junction box is a five port unless he was running TT bars with end shifters.

Wires? No need to suffer wires:
https://www.bianchi.com/bike/force-etap-axs-12sp/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old January 29th 20, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Assembly of Di2

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 4:59:05 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:

Lou

Is this a trick question? If your battery is showing 8v, it's not dead. No? Why would load matter -- except for measuring capacity. I understand the battery may have a protection circuit, but wouldn't that decrease the measured voltage?

I don't have an EE degree, but I measure batteries with a multimeter all the time to see if they are alive or dead, and if one showed 8v it would not be dead. I think you messed something up. Just check the quality of your connections. Do you have the little tool? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkdY9q-u5Dk If you're not fishing wires, it's really pretty fast and easy. Its the fishing that takes time.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 29th 20, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Assembly of Di2

On 1/28/2020 8:36 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 4:59:05 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:

Lou

Is this a trick question? If your battery is showing 8v, it's not dead. No? Why would load matter -- except for measuring capacity. I understand the battery may have a protection circuit, but wouldn't that decrease the measured voltage?

I don't have an EE degree, but I measure batteries with a multimeter all the time to see if they are alive or dead, and if one showed 8v it would not be dead. I think you messed something up. Just check the quality of your connections. Do you have the little tool? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkdY9q-u5Dk If you're not fishing wires, it's really pretty fast and easy. Its the fishing that takes time.

Gosh, you guys make Di2 sound wonderful!

Can we work on electronic steering next? What could go wrong?

--
- Frank Krygowski