Something On a Trek Frame

Old January 22nd 20, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Something On a Trek Frame

Looking at Trek Madone frames I see on the off-side chainstay that there is something called a "Duotrap" by Bontrager - can anyone tell me what this thing is and what it does?
Old January 22nd 20, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...ensor/p/12319/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 22nd 20, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 10:49:34 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/22/2020 12:30 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Looking at Trek Madone frames I see on the off-side chainstay that there is something called a "Duotrap" by Bontrager - can anyone tell me what this thing is and what it does?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...ensor/p/12319/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Unfortunately like a lot of Trek stuff they do a very poor job of explaining its actual use. Is it a cadence sensor? Is it a speedo? One of the outside comments mentioned that it pairs with Strava. Well, I think that I used Strava at one time and didn't like that everyone in the world had access to your courses and speeds.
Old January 22nd 20, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 8:12:19 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 10:49:34 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/22/2020 12:30 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Looking at Trek Madone frames I see on the off-side chainstay that there is something called a "Duotrap" by Bontrager - can anyone tell me what this thing is and what it does?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...ensor/p/12319/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Unfortunately like a lot of Trek stuff they do a very poor job of explaining its actual use. Is it a cadence sensor? Is it a speedo? One of the outside comments mentioned that it pairs with Strava. Well, I think that I used Strava at one time and didn't like that everyone in the world had access to your courses and speeds.

Riding buddy has one of those. It is a speed/cadence sensor combo.
You can keep your Strava data privat in the privacy settings if you want but that is not the idea of Strava. Are your courses and speed secret? If so why are you babbling about your average speeds in this newgroup?

Lou
Old January 23rd 20, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 14:48:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Well, posting one's average speeds is intended to demonstrate that you
wear a blue skin suit with a big red "S" on the front of it.
https://www.wholesalehalloweencostum...200122234046:s
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 23rd 20, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

wrote:
[...]

Strava lets you restrict your data private or limit it to people you let
follow to you. Meh, not an issue in my opinion. Some friends use the part
that blocks a certain distance from your start to keep their home address
private. I guess tha5 makes sense.

Old January 23rd 20, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:54:05 PM UTC, Duane wrote:

Strava lets you restrict your data private or limit it to people you let
follow to you. Meh, not an issue in my opinion. Some friends use the part
that blocks a certain distance from your start to keep their home address
private. I guess tha5 makes sense.

Makes one nostalgic for the days before your phone and your bicycle computer started reporting your whereabouts to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Andre Jute
Privacy is the last refuge -- and the last frontier
Old January 23rd 20, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 2:48:46 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

When Strava started I would post my rides and times. The idea was to advertise routes and not speed. But that wasn't the way it was treated. It would start competitions over routes which of course always leads to people taking unnecessary chances just so they can beat someone on the road.
Old January 23rd 20, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:54:05 PM UTC, Duane wrote:

Strava lets you restrict your data private or limit it to people you let
follow to you. Meh, not an issue in my opinion. Some friends use the part
that blocks a certain distance from your start to keep their home address
private. I guess tha5 makes sense.

Makes one nostalgic for the days before your phone and your bicycle
computer started reporting your whereabouts to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Andre Jute
Privacy is the last refuge -- and the last frontier

Yeah but like I said, you can control who can access it.

On the other hand, I used to manually keep track of my stats. With Strava
I don’t have to. Depends on what you’re looking for.

Old January 23rd 20, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 6:01:41 AM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I agree with you that racing segments can lead to people taking risks to beat a time (your own best time or someone else his time). But as with many other things use it wisely. People soon find out that racing other people times is useless because they could be 20 years younger, have more talent and set their time with a strong tail wind. For myself I defined my own segments along my favorite routes on safe stretches and use it to motivate me for doing intervals. I can enable and disable every segment on my Garmin. When enabled I get a popup on my screen that I approach the enabled segment and I should get ready to 'race', in my case against my own personal best. I like this feature. But like I said you don't have to use it.

Lou

Trek 750 frame N9NEO Marketplace 2 March 13th 07 09:54 PM
FS: Trek SS frame Charles Stickle Marketplace 0 January 31st 06 02:03 AM
FS: Trek mtn frame/new Charles Stickle Marketplace 0 November 10th 04 11:51 PM
FS: NEW Trek MTN frame Charles Stickle Marketplace 0 August 31st 04 10:12 PM
Trek 730 and Trek 520 frame artweary General 5 August 28th 04 10:46 PM