hill walking

Old March 1st 04, 01:40 PM
kim

Default hill walking

What equipment will i require
Old March 1st 04, 01:43 PM
Colin Blackburn

On 1 Mar 2004 05:40:52 -0800, kim wrote:

What equipment will i require

You'll need a notabike for sure.

Colin
Old March 1st 04, 01:56 PM
Arthur Clune

Colin Blackburn wrote:
: On 1 Mar 2004 05:40:52 -0800, kim wrote:

: What equipment will i require

: You'll need a notabike for sure.

A hill is probably useful as well.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old March 1st 04, 02:08 PM
Paul - xxx

Arthur Clune posted ...

Colin Blackburn wrote:
On 1 Mar 2004 05:40:52 -0800, kim
wrote:

What equipment will i require

You'll need a notabike for sure.

A hill is probably useful as well.

A lot would depemd on what you define as 'A hill' .. I mean, technically,
Everest could be described as 'a hill'. Albeit a pretty bloody big hill,
but a hill nonetheless.

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Old March 1st 04, 02:32 PM
McBain_v1

Kim wrote:
What equipment will i require

Erm, strange one for a cycling forum, but here goes..

* Decent warm clothin
* Walking Boots (best with a Gore-Tex liner to keep your feet dry
* Socks (Bridgedale are good
* Rucksack (about 10litre capacity should be enough

Unless you've got some knee problems I would strongly advise against th
purchase of those daft "ski-poles" that I've seen some walkers with. I
you stumble, you don't want to be flapping around with poles in eithe
hand, you want to be able to get your arms out in front of you

Let someone know what route you are taking and how long you expect it t
take you, just in case

-

Old March 1st 04, 02:32 PM
Arthur Clune

Paul - xxx wrote:

: A lot would depemd on what you define as 'A hill' .. I mean, technically,
: Everest could be described as 'a hill'. Albeit a pretty bloody big hill,
: but a hill nonetheless.

Well, I've heard everest described as "high altitude hill-walking". K2
on the other hand, is a mountain...

Old March 1st 04, 02:47 PM
Trevor Barton

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:32:06 GMT, McBain_v1 wrote:
Kim wrote:
What equipment will i require

Erm, strange one for a cycling forum, but here goes...

* Decent warm clothing
* Walking Boots (best with a Gore-Tex liner to keep your feet dry)
* Socks (Bridgedale are good)
* Rucksack (about 10litre capacity should be enough)

Unless you've got some knee problems I would strongly advise against the
purchase of those daft "ski-poles" that I've seen some walkers with. If
you stumble, you don't want to be flapping around with poles in either
hand, you want to be able to get your arms out in front of you!

Well I used to think that and mentioned it to someone I know who has
one. He insisted the opposite and made me try his (single one), and
I now hold the opposite view. I find that I stumble and slip
far less often, and when I do the pole goes out from under anyway so
doesn't really stop you fending off the ground with your hands. I'm now
a firm convert.

I suspect they'd get caught up in the spokes, though, if you were on
your bike at the time!

Let someone know what route you are taking and how long you expect it to
take you, just in case.

Mobile phones usually work on the tops in the Yorkshire Dales (but not
in the valleys) and I suspect they might most high places in the UK.
Always let someone know where you expect to be especially if you are
alone. I do nearly all of my walking alone on Fridays and especially
at this time of the year I can often see noone all day. Not great
if you twist an ankle.

--
Trevor Barton
Old March 1st 04, 03:05 PM
Clive George

"McBain_v1" wrote in message

* Walking Boots (best with a Gore-Tex liner to keep your feet dry)

Eh? do decent leather boots have one of these?

More importantly, can you get either with SPD fittings?

Hooray for the cold - it converted a lot of the ground which would normally
have been hill walking (squelch, splat, sink, which we normally try to
avoid) into hill riding, which was nice. But why do motorbikes ride and
churn up what would otherwise be perfectly good bridleways?

cheers,
clive

Old March 1st 04, 03:10 PM
trembler50

McBain_v1 [/i]
[b]Erm, strange one for a cycling forum, but here goes...

* Decent warm clothing

Unless you've got some knee problems I would [i]strongly wrote:
advise against the purchase of those daft "ski-poles" that I've seen
some walkers with. If you stumble, you don't want to be flapping around
with poles in either hand, you want to be able to get your arms out in
front of you!
Let someone know what route you are taking and how long you expect it to
take you, just in case.

The "Daft Ski Poles" are actually jolly useful, especially down hill

-

Old March 1st 04, 03:31 PM
robbiew

For authentic Hillwalking the thermal socks have to be red. Any othe
colour will make you stand out from the crowd

-