A few months waxing chain

Old December 16th 18, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default A few months waxing chain

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 3:21:32 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 10:26:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 1:33:57 AM UTC-8, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 4:55:08 AM UTC-8, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

A couple of months have passed since I switched to wax for chain
lubrication. I would estimate I rode about 3,000 kilometers with my
chain (cleaning it and lubricating it four times, I think), a point at
which I usually start measuring at least some elongation.

In this case, I cannot measure any. 10 links span 254 mm ± .3 mm, so
that is less than 1 ‰ of elongation. My chain is a good as new. As an
additional bonus, my entire drivetrain has never been that clean!

Unfortunately, when I switched to chain waxing, I also changed from
Shimano chains to a KMC 9.73 one, so I cannot assert that waxing
is good for chain wear, only that either it is, or KMC chains are very
resistant, or both.

Anyway, now I think I will soon be at the point where I will have to
replace my cassette that is starting to be a bit worn, without changing
the chain that is still as good as new!

--
Tanguy

Get your bell peppers at the farmers markets, and you pay half or less the price, and the farmer makes twice or more profit. Or Milk Pail in Mountain View, Sigona's in Redwood City, lots of places all over if you look that support the local farmers instead of big box supermarkets gouging both the farmers and the customers.

Are you suggesting that it is more economically sound to make a 50 or 60 mile round trip to pay less for vegetables? The Farmers Markets here charge perhaps 20 percent less than the supermarkets and the vegetable appear to be what the supermarkets turned down.

But, a 50 mile round trip is just a Sunday ride on a bicycle. At least
it is to a real cyclist.

cheers,

John B.

I do those three times a week. And them I'm not too good to ride with the old and slow group. I did a ride before the big fires here where I generated 340 watts for almost 10 miles. That may not be much around here but it sure as hell is a great deal more than you loud mouthed experts.
Old December 16th 18, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 4:13:14 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 10:26:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Are you suggesting that it is more economically sound to make a
50 or 60 mile round trip to pay less for vegetables? The Farmers
Markets here charge perhaps 20 percent less than the supermarkets

In the People's Republic of Santa Cruz (California), farmers markets
are quite popular:
http://www.santacruzfarmersmarket.org

and the vegetable appear to be what the supermarkets turned down.

Somewhat true. When certain veggies are in season, they are quite
fresh at both the super market and the farmers market. However, small
farmers usually don't have refrigerated warehouses
http://www.centralcoldstorage.com/central-cold-storage.html
making the quality of the veggies at the end of the season rather
marginal. It helps to know the harvest seasons:
"California Harvest Calendar U-Pick Farms"
http://www.pickyourown.org/CAharvestcalendar.htm
http://www.santacruzfarmersmarket.org/seasonality

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Well, if I ride up to the farmers market in Montclair part of Oakland which is the more wealthy part of Oakland the quality of the goods are far better than the farmers markets elsewhere I'm closer to. Also a lot of the local farmer's markets seem to0 be selling things that few people would want - carmel popcorn? Honey from clover pastures - that is the blandest stuff available. The rest of the real vegetables with shovel cuts and black spots.

I have no doubt that Santa Cruz or Half Moon Bay farmer's markets are good. And the one's down around Gilroy are absolutely fantastic. But that doesn't get into the inner city where the people could use fresh high quality and mnoderately6 priced vegetables.

I can't even remember seeing white or yellow potatoes in a single farmer's market on any of the farmer's markets on the flats here. Even in Castro Valley where there used to be real farms. Even cherry's in season aren't very high quality here and everything is packed in plastic so that it spoil especially fast. You'd think paper had never been invented unless you go to a good butcher.
Old December 16th 18, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 11:20:30 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Me too, when I won the Cat 2 districts this year. Do you actually own a power meter? Also, you need to tell us how long you were holding 340 watts. Distance doesn't tell us much. BTW, I gave that number to my son and told him it was a 74 year old recreational rider, and he said "nope," not at 180-190lbs. He looks at power data day in and day out as a job.
https://stagescycling.com/us/support/

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 16th 18, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

340 watts for 10 miles is an awful lot. This means that your FTP would be around 340*0.95 = 323 Watt. That is hard to believe for me using a power meter myself the last season. How did you measure it?

Lou
Old December 17th 18, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Power on hills.

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 12:28:42 -0800, jbeattie wrote:

I do those three times a week. And them I'm not too good to ride with
the old and slow group. I did a ride before the big fires here where I
generated 340 watts for almost 10 miles. That may not be much around
here but it sure as hell is a great deal more than you loud mouthed
experts.

Me too, when I won the Cat 2 districts this year. Do you actually own a
power meter? Also, you need to tell us how long you were holding 340
watts. Distance doesn't tell us much.

Oh Jay, it was downhill, obviously.

Old December 17th 18, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

If you make these epic trips three times a week why are you
complaining about a 50 mile trip to buy cheaper veggies? Why not just
stop on the way and load up on bell peppers?

Oh! That's right, you forgot.

cheers,

John B.

Old December 17th 18, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 3:20:48 PM UTC-8, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 12:28:42 -0800, jbeattie wrote:

I do those three times a week. And them I'm not too good to ride with
the old and slow group. I did a ride before the big fires here where I
generated 340 watts for almost 10 miles. That may not be much around
here but it sure as hell is a great deal more than you loud mouthed
experts.

Me too, when I won the Cat 2 districts this year. Do you actually own a
power meter? Also, you need to tell us how long you were holding 340
watts. Distance doesn't tell us much.

Oh Jay, it was downhill, obviously.

BTW, I gave that number to my son
and told him it was a 74 year old recreational rider, and he said
"nope," not at 180-190lbs. He looks at power data day in and day out as
a job. https://stagescycling.com/us/support/

I think Tom shared with us that he is 180lbs, to which I say, kudos. I'm about the same height and 15lbs more. But assuming 180lbs, that's about 82kg for about 4.15 watts/kg for 20 minute power, which places him solidly in Cat 2 -- at age 74. Scary. If I were him, I'd skip the whole return-to-high-tech thing and round up some sponsors for Masters Worlds. My brother was in Master Worlds DH in his 60s and couldn't knock out those kinds of watts, although his thing was going down hill.

I don't care about power since I'm not training for anything. Today, my power meter was "faster than one guy, slower than another." Everything hurt after a hard ski yesterday and too much Christmas cheer last night, but I managed to hang in for a nice rain ride on my made-in-USA HED Ardenne disc wheels which roll really well. Great mid-weight road and gravel wheels.

I came home and sprayed off the bike with a hose, which is SOP -- notwithstanding the hose-fear expressed on this NG.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 17th 18, 08:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 12:20:48 AM UTC+1, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 12:28:42 -0800, jbeattie wrote:

I do those three times a week. And them I'm not too good to ride with
the old and slow group. I did a ride before the big fires here where I
generated 340 watts for almost 10 miles. That may not be much around
here but it sure as hell is a great deal more than you loud mouthed
experts.

Me too, when I won the Cat 2 districts this year. Do you actually own a
power meter? Also, you need to tell us how long you were holding 340
watts. Distance doesn't tell us much.

Oh Jay, it was downhill, obviously.

BTW, I gave that number to my son
and told him it was a 74 year old recreational rider, and he said
"nope," not at 180-190lbs. He looks at power data day in and day out as
a job. https://stagescycling.com/us/support/

340 Watts for 10 miles on a downhill is really hard. For that kind of power you need a fierce headwind or a climb.

Lou
Old December 17th 18, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 16/12/2018 8:50 p.m., jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I have the Ardennes SLs and 23s and they've been great. At around
40,000km I have not had to have them trued and this is on Quebec roads.

I came home and sprayed off the bike with a hose, which is SOP -- notwithstanding the hose-fear expressed on this NG.

Riding a dirty bike is like driving a dirty car I guess. Though I'm
more apt to wash my bike than my car...
Old December 17th 18, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 5:16:03 AM UTC-8, duane wrote:
[...]

I use fenders, and they get packed with leaves/needles and mud, so it's nice to blow them out. The bike I rode yesterday has hydraulic discs and Di2, so cable stick is not an issue. I could let that bike get pretty muddy, and only the chain would suffer.

Speaking of discs, they're great in the rain. One of the guys I was riding with yesterday was on a Kona CX bike with cantis/STI and aluminum rims. The brakes howled and didn't stop him. On one downhill, he had to bail out into a parking lot because he couldn't get the bike to stop at the bottom. Getting cantis and STI just right takes a lot of fussing, and they never stop that well IMO.

-- Jay Beattie.