Wenting!!!

Old May 24th 05, 03:28 PM
BrettM

Default Wenting!!!

eb wrote in
:

snip

I think everyone is missing the point of cycling lanes. It's not about
security blankets or anything like it but it is about keeping bikes out
of traffic lanes because they seriously erode capacity.

I'm sure lots of people will want to argue and yes if 15% of people were
commuting on bikes then it would be less of an issue. But through lane
capacity is calculated from a 2s headway at whatever the speed limit is.
While most of us hit higher speeds downhill very few of us can maintain
60 km/h on the flat for any length of time. That is the lowest speed
for an arterial road. Mixing bikes/cars etc will reduce capacity, hence
the cycle lane. Intersections are somewhat different but the same still
applies.

I agree that cycle lanes are next to useless on surburban roads and
really shouldn't be placed on them due to the parked vehicle issue
(centre cycle lanes are another option rarely used here).

If you are regularly having problems with a section of bike lane on
certain roads then TELL SOMEONE (council or the SRA). Believe it or not
we keep this stuff and when we are doing work in an area we will go back
over the file to see if there are specific issues. If enough people
raise an issue then we will usually cary out a safety audit to see if
anything can be done (cheaply).

So probably nothing will change in the short term but maybe there is a
simple solution (removal of on street parking or allowing cyclists to
use a footpath and putting in facilities to encourage it). If you get
really lucky there will be someone who wanted to remove the parking
anyway and you just gave them the excuse.

It is generally very hard to get any feedback from users and it does
help if you know what works and what doesn't.

Cheers
BrettM

Old May 25th 05, 12:16 AM
Theo Bekkers

BrettM wrote:

But
through lane capacity is calculated from a 2s headway at whatever the
speed limit is.

Err, 2s headway is 30 vehicles per lane per minute _regardless_ of whatever
the speed limit is. Many years ago they increased the Freeway speed limit in
Perth from 80 to 100 so they "could get more cars on it". Even my mother,
who was 75 at the time, could see that that was bull****.

Theo

Old May 25th 05, 02:10 AM
Tamyka Bell

Jolly wrote:

snip
I reckon you're nuts riding Logan Rd :-) I commute from Mansfield: up
Creek Rd, onto Logan (the worst bit of the ride) then down Nursery and
onto the bike path ASAP. I agree that the bike path is pretty ordinary,
but it sure beats greasing the cars on Logan Rd! (just get to dodge
pedestrians instead).

Joel

I reckon you're right. I am totally, completely nuts. I ride past the
freeway onramp each time and I nearly die. I blog it each time and it
makes me smile. I'd rather live than die... but I'd rather ride than
worry about it!

I tried the bike path a bit, but had several near-death experiences and
further out my way it's lots of road crossing. I use the bikeway from
Buranda Busway stn to UQ. I'm thinking of trying the back way but
haven't gotten around to it yet.

Like Absent Husband, I head in early and home early (or late/late) to
avoid the worst of the traffic. The one time I rode home in peak hour I
had no problems though, because the traffic slows down so it is easier
to merge. Also the well spaced parked cars in the left lane ensure that
the left lane is pretty much clear except for a few key areas, so I only
need to change lanes around parked cars every km or so.

Tam

PS If they **** me off, I hunt them down and give them some pleasant
driver education. Seriously. I discuss with them safer methods of
driving and why cyclists ride in the middle of the lane, etc.
Old May 25th 05, 02:13 AM
Tamyka Bell

Jolly wrote:

snip
If it's past about 7pm I'll ride home along Logan Rd, mainly because the
lighting is better. The bike path is damn hard to see in parts,
especially where the freeway lights are in your eyes but the path is in
the shadow. I've nearly turned into a tree (no, not growing leaves on my
arms) a few times now.

snip

It's lovely along there at night, isn't it? Such a well designed path...
I also like the dark bits through the tunnels near the storm water
channels.

Tam
Old May 25th 05, 02:14 AM
Tamyka Bell

SteveA wrote:

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

snip
Grey St, Sth Bne? It has enough lanes that you can afford to take one
up, given that there's extra lanes where the turns/roundabouts etc are.
However I avoid Grey St except when it's really early (before 0600) -
I'd rather ride at 20km/h through Southbank, dealing with veering
pedestrians, than deal with the weirdo rich people on Grey St.

Tam

Rich people on Grey St? Holy ****!!! I grew up around there and there
weren't no stinking rich people there then!!! And if you wanted weird,
that was provided by the old winos and derelects who inhabited the
area.

The homeless people are up the far end near the bridge. Then you go
through industrial areas. Then you hit the lastest yuppie precinct, Grey
St and Little Stanley St, full of cafe's, art shops, bike shops,
restaurants, expensive cars...

Tam
Old May 25th 05, 02:20 AM
Tamyka Bell

snip

Me to, if it wasn't for the fact that I work in Grey St. and thus don't
have much choice, one way or the other I have to go down Grey St. Also,
I'm still figuring out how to get down to South Bank from the bridge
that I can't remember what's called... Not enough bridges up here but
still too many for me to remember, what does that tell you? ;O)

-Rasmus

William Jolly Br, aka Grey St bridge? nope, you're stuck on Grey st, but
turn off at the cultural centre and go through the forecourt and along
the front at southbank if you work up that end.

Victoria Br, aka Melbourne St br? go on the pedestrian bit and there's
paths down from either side through SB. On the down river side, the path
goes down to the cultural forecourt and you can ride through, then down
onto the riverfront path. On the other side there's a big spiral ramp
down onto the boardwalk or, if you turn right, you're on the southbank
river front.

Did I help?
Old May 25th 05, 02:44 AM
adam85

Absent Husband Wrote:
Hi Jolly,

Depends when you're riding in... I commute from Mt Gravatt East - up
Creek Rd (from behind the "Freedom Fuels" servo), then right ont
Logan
Rd. I don't jump onto the bike paths until Stone's Corner.

But I'll only do that if I leave home well before 7am (generally about
6:30-6:45) - otherwise the traffic does get nasty.

Come on - live life on the edge!! Just join us, join us, join us......

Absent Husband (when do you commute in?? We could link up on
morning??)

Logan rd isn't *too* bad...much better than using the bikepath anyway
reckon. I've done it quite a few times from Logan to the City and back
Like Tam says the freeway on ramps are probably the worst spots alon
with any uphills where there isn't much room. In peak hour you ca
travel a lot faster than the traffic. It's a good workout - yo
definately know you're alive anyway!

Ada

--
adam85

Old May 25th 05, 04:49 AM
Tamyka Bell

Jolly wrote:

snip
I live in behind Mt Gravatt East State School, so not that far away.

I normally leave about 7:30-8:00. Haven't ridden this week due to knee
concerns, but got go ahead from physio today along with a regime of
corrective action.

If it's past about 7pm I'll ride home along Logan Rd, mainly because the
lighting is better. The bike path is damn hard to see in parts,
especially where the freeway lights are in your eyes but the path is in
the shadow. I've nearly turned into a tree (no, not growing leaves on my
arms) a few times now.

Give me a bit more training and I might see about joining in. You
wouldn't want to be seen with a guy on a ****ty hybrid, would you? :-)

Joel

Hey dude,

I gotta test my MTB out this week, given I'm racing it on the weekend,
so I'll probably ride that in tomorrow morning, if you're interested?
I'll be really slow though, I haven't been on it for about six months
and it'll feel very... big... not roadie etc.

I'll probably head home this arvo by about 1630 so text or call on 0400
782 972.

Absent Husband, if you're riding in tomorrow, bring along a ****ty old
mtb, it'll be fun!

Tam
Old May 25th 05, 06:18 AM
nebakke

Tamyka Bell wrote:

Did I help?

Well kind of, after yesterdays posts I had another look on my way home
and figured what you have just now confirmed, that you CAN actually get
up from South Bank, so I might just do that tomorrow, not riding today.
While we're at it, does anyone know how far you can follow the river on
this side without getting involved in too much traffic? Normally I go
along the bikepath on the Western Freeway but was hoping that there was
a slightly more scenic route than that.

Thanks for the help Tamyka, it's greatly appreciated... I'll send you
guys a wave as pass you in the other direction in the morning... If I'm
not late as usual.

-Rasmus

Old May 25th 05, 06:19 AM
Absent Husband

Yeah right - and ruin my one chance of actually being able to keep
up!?!?!?

AH