Blame the faulty drivers of dangerous machinery. 4WDs most dangerouson road

Old October 24th 05, 11:36 AM
fasgnadh

Default Blame the faulty drivers of dangerous machinery. 4WDs most dangerouson road

Brash wrote:
"Brash" wrote in message
u...

The car accident that left the daughter of former Wallaby skipper Phil
Kearns with life-threatening injuries has reignited demands for upgraded
safety on four-wheel drives.

How about upgraded situational awareness for ALL drivers?

How about tyargetting the biggest killers first.

How about dealing with faulty owners of dangerous
machinery that is involved
in a disproportionate number of child fatalities...

"I bought a 4WD for my families safety" - Pigs Arse

Nineteen-month-old Andie Kearns remains on a respirator in a critical but
stable condition in The Children's Hospital, Randwick, after she was
accidentally run over by her father in the driveway of the family home on
Saturday.

Very sad. I hope the little tike gets well soon. But raging against a
machine, be it a 4WD or a centrfire rifle, serves no purpose. The machines
can't hear you, and aren't to blam anyway.

A diahatsu charade has a rear blind spot of a few metres when a
two year old is standing behind it.

For a 4WD its over 15 metres.

4WDs are responsible for 50% of driveway killings of toddlers,
sedans, despite being much more common, only 20%.

I would say, you do the maths, but I don't think you can.

"People buy them (4WDs) thinking they're safe, but they simply are not,"
Mr Scruby said.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...5936,15755676%
255E1702,00.html

4WD owners 'compensating'
By David Crawshaw
28jun05

FOUR-wheel drive owners will often tell you they chose their vehicles for
safety reasons.

But Pedestrian Council of Australia chairman Harold Scruby reckons it has
less to do with safety and more to do with compensating for anatomical
deficiencies.

"There's a Freudian factor; certain people have to buy these large cars
because they're missing elsewhere," Mr Scruby said today.

"The majority of drivers see (4WD owners) as aggressive and arrogant –
it's a certain type of person who has to have one of these vehicles and
sit above everyone else."

Mr Scruby today called for the removal of tariff reductions for 4WDs as a
study showed what many already suspected – that 4WDs are the most
dangerous cars on the road.

The Monash University study found 4WDs were far more likely than
conventional vehicles to kill or maim other road users.

Mr Scruby, who drives a Subaru Outback, said it was hard to tell to what
degree the people driving 4WDs were responsible for the high injury
rates, and how much was due to the physical nature of 4WDs.

It was not really possible to improve safety for the occupants of one
vehicle in a crash without compromising safety for the occupants of the
other, he said.

Mr Scruby called on the Federal Government to scrap tariff reductions on
4WD vehicles, and to apply lower tariffs to safer vehicles.

People who genuinely needed 4WDs, such as those in remote areas, could be
exempted from increased tariffs, he said.

But elsewhere 4WDs should be "taxed off the road".

"I don't think people in Mosman and Toorak should be getting these
vehicles at 5-per-cent tax when a Corolla is taxed at 10 per cent," Mr
Scruby said.

He also took aim at young drivers in regional areas who drove souped-up
utes often adorned with bullbars, aerials and stickers.

"In the bush every young driver wants to drive a Holden ute with a
bullbar," he said.

"It's a testosterone thing, it's all about 'mine is bigger than yours'."

NRMA vehicle policy expert Jack Haley said the high rate of injuries
caused by 4WDs was due to the type of vehicle involved, not the behaviour
of 4WD drivers.

The same tariffs should be applied to all cars, Mr Haley said.

Old October 24th 05, 12:01 PM
Rainbow Warrior

"fasgnadh" wrote in message
Brash wrote:
"Brash" wrote in message
[...]

Figures I heard cars run over 90% of pedestrians, they should be banned.

Old October 24th 05, 12:05 PM
Knobdoodle

"Rainbow Warrior" wrote :
Figures I heard cars run over 90% of pedestrians, they should be banned.

Far-canal; who's running over the other 10%?
Trucks and busses? (Surely motorcycles aren't making a tangible
contribution!)
Knob

Old October 24th 05, 12:32 PM
TimC

On 2005-10-24, fasgnadh (aka Bruce)
Brash wrote:
Nineteen-month-old Andie Kearns remains on a respirator in a critical but
stable condition in The Children's Hospital, Randwick, after she was
accidentally run over by her father in the driveway of the family home on
Saturday.

Very sad. I hope the little tike gets well soon. But raging against a
machine, be it a 4WD or a centrfire rifle, serves no purpose. The machines
can't hear you, and aren't to blam anyway.

A diahatsu charade has a rear blind spot of a few metres when a
two year old is standing behind it.

For a 4WD its over 15 metres.

Anecdotal only, I know, but the people of aus.bicycle heard last week
about my latest adventures.

Of the last 4 vehicles I have come into contact with, 3 were 4WDs (the
other was a stolen vehicle, where the drivers deliberately rammed me,
and one of the 4WDs was being controlled by a road rager who
fortunately chose to get out of his ego-cage in order to assault me).

This says *something* about either 4WDs, or their drivers.

'They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable
about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving
skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centred and self-absorbed,
with little interest in their neighbours or communities.'
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...174396370.html

http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulle...256E24001A1266

'Fred J Schaafsma, a top engineer for General Motors, says,
"Sport-utility owners tend to be more like 'I wonder how people view
me', and are more willing to trade off flexibility or functionality to
get that."'
http://afr.com/articles/2004/04/01/1080544625539.html

"According to Bradsher, internal industry market research concluded
that SUVs tend to be bought by people who are insecure, vain,
self-centred and self-absorbed, who are frequently nervous about their
marriages, and who lack confidence in their driving skills."

I.e, exactly the people you *don't* want driving 4WDs, think that
they should be driving them. And it turns out it is no safer for them
to drive 4WDs, than a normal car, and is is *hugely* unsafe for the
rest of us, for them to be driving said.

--
TimC
MacOSX: Sort of like a pedigree persian cat. Very sleek, very
Old October 24th 05, 12:46 PM

Rainbow Warrior wrote:
"fasgnadh" wrote in message
Brash wrote:
"Brash" wrote in message
[...]

Don't pay any attention to stupid little faggy arse. He wouldn't know a
real fourbie from his mother's arsehole. Little faggy arse has the
****s with anybody who has anything more than he does, which, since he
is a dole bludging uni******, is almost the total White Australian
population.

Old October 24th 05, 01:22 PM
Noddy

"fasgnadh" wrote in message

For a 4WD its over 15 metres.

****ing bull****

What "4wd" would that be you ractionary ****?

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Old October 24th 05, 01:22 PM
Noddy

Or that you're just a **** of a bike rider

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Old October 24th 05, 01:44 PM
Kev

Of the last 4 vehicles I have come into contact with, 3 were 4WDs (the
other was a stolen vehicle, where the drivers deliberately rammed me,
and one of the 4WDs was being controlled by a road rager who
fortunately chose to get out of his ego-cage in order to assault me).

what is wrong with your riding skills that you keep coming into contact
with cars?

in thye 20 years of driving trucks past bicycles on both city streets
and highways I have never hit one(although the dickhead who granbbed the
back of one truck for a free tow up hill was almost flung into a light
pole when I had to take evasive action to avoid a car that pulled out of
a driveway in front of me)

Kev
Old October 24th 05, 01:44 PM
dave

Noddy wrote:
"TimC" wrote in message

This says *something* about either 4WDs, or their drivers.

Or that you're just a **** of a bike rider

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Or really good at attracting the really stupid.

Sorry Tim.. couldnt resist

Old October 24th 05, 01:50 PM
Michael C

"dave" wrote in message
. ..
Or really good at attracting the really stupid.

Sorry Tim.. couldnt resist

He attracted noddy :-) Sorry noddy couldn't resist.