Question about Ebay

Old September 12th 05, 08:48 PM
Freewheeling

Default Question about Ebay

I'm selling my XTR9 grouppo (item # 7181695558) and got a question about
quoting a shipping price to the UK. I have no idea. Anyone have a clue how
to figure this? Do I have to pay duty and excise and all that krap?

--
--Scott

Old September 12th 05, 09:01 PM
Jeff Grippe

The furthest away that I have shipped is Canada. As the seller I don't
believe it is up to you to pay any import taxes. It may be up to the buyer,
however. My buyer in Canada wanted me to ship using USPS because he said
that the import fees were lower. USPS doesn't give you tracking
internationally but he agreed to it and I shipped itl

Both Fedex and UPS have on-line shipping calculators that will compute rates
for international shipping.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Old September 12th 05, 10:17 PM
Servojohn

I'm selling my XTR9 grouppo (item # 7181695558) and got a question about
quoting a shipping price to the UK. I have no idea. Anyone have a clue
how to figure this?

You'll need to have the measurements of the carton, the total weight,
and the destination address. You can contact any shipper from the
USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, along with many other companies that handle
shipping internationally.
You will have to inform the recipient of the package that all shipping
costs, import duties or taxes, plus customs brokerage fees are their
responsibility, and handled and paid for at their end.
Now, the buyer can also specify a shipper. This means the shipper
would have
office in the country that you reside in, so they can contact you
directly to get the information on the package, and make arrangements
for pickup. When this happens, the shipper probably has a customs
broker hired on the other end to clear the package into the country,
and collect the fees from the buyer.
Now, don't forget one of the now classic internet purchasing scams
involves someone in another country offering you much more than your
asking price, paying with a cashier's check in the overblown price,
asking you to send the balance along with goods, then the check turns
out to be fraudulent, and you're left owing the bank(by law). Don't
fall for it.

Best regards,

John

Old September 12th 05, 10:27 PM
Freewheeling

Thanks. Sounds like the easiest thing to do is just ignore this, and sell
to a bidder in the US. About the last thing I need right now is more
rigmarole. Looks like the stuff will probably sell even though it hasn't
yet reached my reserve price. I'm sort of depressed about selling this, but
it's also an opportunity to get rid of a bunch of krap I'm not using anyway.

oups.com...

Old September 12th 05, 11:32 PM
gotbent

Thanks. Sounds like the easiest thing to do is just ignore this, and sell
to a bidder in the US. About the last thing I need right now is more
rigmarole. Looks like the stuff will probably sell even though it hasn't
yet reached my reserve price. I'm sort of depressed about selling this,
but it's also an opportunity to get rid of a bunch of krap I'm not using
anyway.

Got any spare Glocks?

oups.com...

Old September 13th 05, 04:58 AM
none

Freewheeling wrote:
Thanks. Sounds like the easiest thing to do is just ignore this, and sell
to a bidder in the US.

It's no more difficult to sell internationally. You already have the
package weight and size for the US shipping fee, so just enter the same
information into the USPS international calculator for the international
fee. If the buyer asks you to lie on the duty form (not an uncommon
request), simply refuse.

When you mail the package at the post office, the clerk will ask you to
fill out a duty form declaring the contents and value of the package. It
takes all of five seconds to fill out -- no longer than the insurance
form. That's all there is to it.

Avoid all other shipping companies, including UPS and Fedex, since they
make international shipping unnecessarily confusing for both the buyer
and the seller.

-Mike
Old September 13th 05, 05:46 AM
none

none wrote:
When you mail the package at the post office, the clerk will ask you to
fill out a duty form declaring the contents and value of the package. It
takes all of five seconds to fill out -- no longer than the insurance
form. That's all there is to it.

Just in case you don't know how to declare the contents: in this case
you would write "Used bicycle parts". The quantity is one and the value
is the sale price.

-Mike
Old September 13th 05, 09:39 AM
nj_diver

Don't do it. It's more hassle than it's worth. I speak from
experience. Even shipping to Canada (or buying from our neighbors to
the north) can be a royal P.I.T.A.

Old September 13th 05, 11:28 AM
Jeff Grippe

"Servojohn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Now, don't forget one of the now classic internet purchasing scams
involves someone in another country offering you much more than your
asking price, paying with a cashier's check in the overblown price,
asking you to send the balance along with goods, then the check turns
out to be fraudulent, and you're left owing the bank(by law). Don't
fall for it.

This is easily dealt with by refusing to accept international money orders
or cashier's checks. I find paypal's fees annoying but worth it. I would not
either send or accept a non-electronic payment for an ebay transaction
anymore.

Jeff

Old September 13th 05, 11:41 AM
Call me Bob

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:28:49 -0400, "Jeff Grippe"
wrote:

Now, don't forget one of the now classic internet purchasing scams
involves someone in another country offering you much more than your
asking price, paying with a cashier's check in the overblown price,
asking you to send the balance along with goods, then the check turns
out to be fraudulent, and you're left owing the bank(by law). Don't
fall for it.

This is easily dealt with by refusing to accept international money orders
or cashier's checks. I find paypal's fees annoying but worth it. I would not
either send or accept a non-electronic payment for an ebay transaction
anymore.

Don't believe that Paypal offer you any security as a seller, they
absolutely don't. It's very simple for a buyer (or scammer) to reverse
a Paypal payment once the goods have been dispatched, even months
after the original transaction. Paypal will offer you no recourse and
no help should this happen to you, they'll just take what they want
from your account, possibly even adding charges on top.

"Bob"