cone wrench: why so massive?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 25th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default cone wrench: why so massive?

During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.

Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
old this month.

--
Michael