cone wrench: why so massive?

Old June 27th 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default cone wrench: why so massive?

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:55:40 GMT, Michael wrote:

"q-factor" Would that be "lateral bending stress"? Makes sense to me that one
would want the distance between pedal and crank to be "vanishingly small" (as my
calculus text put it).

Q-factor, as I understand it, is primarily considered a knee stress
issue; the farther apart the pedals are, the greater the angle which
the knees must deal with.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old June 27th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Werehatrack wrote:
the farther apart the pedals are, the greater the angle which
the knees must deal with.

It depends on each rider's anatomy. For any given rider, having the
pedals farther apart may match their knees' natural tendency (or is that
tendoncy? :-) better, and vice versa.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
Old June 27th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Werehatrack wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:55:40 GMT, Michael wrote:

"q-factor" Would that be "lateral bending stress"? Makes sense to me that one
would want the distance between pedal and crank to be "vanishingly small" (as my
calculus text put it).

Q-factor, as I understand it, is primarily considered a knee stress
issue; the farther apart the pedals are, the greater the angle which
the knees must deal with.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Ah-h-h .. that makes sense too. Thanks.

--
Michael
Old June 29th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Victor Kan" wrote in message
m...
Werehatrack wrote:
the farther apart the pedals are, the greater the angle which
the knees must deal with.

It depends on each rider's anatomy. For any given rider, having the
pedals farther apart may match their knees' natural tendency (or is that
tendoncy? :-) better, and vice versa.

Which is why I find "KneeSavers" (pedal axle extenders to increase Q-factor)
to be a poorly-named product. They probably saved the knees of the guy who
invented them, but for most of the people out there, they'll do more harm
than good.