Absurd Landis "analysis" in media

Old July 28th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Absurd Landis "analysis" in media

Floyd Landis' fails drug test, but...

07/28/06- I was there, I saw both Floyd's spectacular failure and next-day's
resurrection to claim victory in one of the world's greatest sporting
events.

And now? Everything is eclipsed by allegations of doping, due to a positive
test for unusual ratios of two types of testosterone.
So everywhere you go, whether it be network news or talk radio, the story is
all about Floyd Landis. Which is fine, it is a huge story. But an even
bigger story may be, could be, that Floyd is, in fact, innocent. Caught up
in the rabid (and necessary) zeal to catch cheaters.
But what, exactly, am I all riled up about? How about KCBS this morning
airing the news conference (in which Landis proclaims his innocence and the
steps he'll go to to prove it), which was followed not by one second about
the possibility that he could be speaking the truth, but instead a sports
psychologist talking about why athletes cheat. How they deceive themselves
etc. They're using his protestation of innocence as evidence against him!

Floyd may very well be an innocent dolphin caught by people fishing for
tuna. People whose driving ambition to achieve their goal over-rides the
possibility that somebody innocent could get caught in the net & killed.
Yes, drug usage among top athletes is a severe problem. But this is a story
that has more than one angle. Floyd Landis could be guilty, and I'll feel
very betrayed if that's the case. But his trial & conviction in the media is
absurd.

Please, won't somebody of stature, an athlete, a new reporter, point out
that there could be an even-bigger story here- the possibility that we've
gone too far and caught a dolphin in the net? Instead of repeating the same
sound bites over and over and over... talking about how much of a problem
there is in professional cycling, that this is evidence they're getting a
handle on it, and that both his heroic comeback and protestation of
innocence are proof that he's guilty?

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 28th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

Great post, Mike! A well thought out, sensible and needed counterweight
to the current "witch hunt" atmosphere.

Old July 28th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
mrbubl

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

as you know, the news is no longer reported by the media, it is skewed
in a sensational manner to best suit the "source" and the swing they
want to support.
Old July 28th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Luke

In article , Mike
Jacoubowsky wrote:

Please, won't somebody of stature, an athlete, a new reporter, point out
that there could be an even-bigger story here- the possibility that we've
gone too far and caught a dolphin in the net?

Mike, hasn't Lance Armstrong been doing this for years? No one's
listening or wants to listen.

Of course it doesn't help that, particularly in light of recent events
in pro-cycling, the sport's credibility is undermined -- a predicament
for which administrators and athletes have only themselves to blame.

For the indifferent layman it's difficult to tell that a dolphin has
been wrongly caught when one has no reference for distinguishing
between it and a legitimate haul.

Luke
Old July 28th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
chester

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

I especially liked the article, referred to in a previous post, by the
"lay" "journalist" who spoke of Landis "tested positive for emitting
more testosterone than a cheesy Jersey Night Club". I hate journalist
who simply make **** up.
Old July 28th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
dan

a reasonable and rational voice in the sea of fog. very refreshing. thanks
mike.

dan

--
you're never too old to have a happy childhood

Old July 28th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
raylopez99

Default Absurd Landis "analysis" in media [MUST READ THIS ASSO PRESS ARTICLE]

Redwood City and Los Altos, nice, nice customer base.

Check out this article. Read carefully. Conclusion: Landis is
innocent. At best, a false positive. At worse, side effects of a
medication he is taking.

And please note the important point (THE most important point).

ANY TESTOSTERONE TAKEN AT STAGE 17 WOULD HAVE HAD NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER
ON LANDIS'S PERFORMANCE.

That, in and of itself, should, in a fair world that is not looking to
put anti-drug spin on the issue, completely clear Landis. He should be
allowed to keep his medal, period.

RL

Tour winner Landis fails doping test

By Stephen Wilson
ASSOCIATED PRESS
July 28, 2006

LONDON -- Floyd Landis' Tour de France victory was thrown into question
yesterday when his team said he tested positive for high testosterone
levels during stage 17, when the American champion began his stunning
comeback with a charge into the Alps.

The Swiss-based Phonak team said it was notified by the
International Cycling Union (UCI) on Wednesday that Landis' sample
showed an "unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone" when he was
tested after stage 17 on July 20.

"My immediate reaction was to look for the alcohol bottle," joked
Landis, who is known to enjoy a beer on the Tour and said he drank
whiskey with teammates to bury their sorrows after Landis nearly fell
out of contention the day before his stage 17 charge.

The 30-year-old Landis made a dramatic comeback in that Alpine
stage, racing far ahead of the field for a solo win that moved him from
11th to third in the overall standings. Despite a degenerative hip
condition that will require surgery, he regained the leader's yellow
jersey two days later.

Testosterone creams, pills and injections can build muscle and
strength and improve recovery time after exertion when used over
several weeks. Testosterone is included as an anabolic steroid by the
World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) on its list of banned substances. The
use of supplements can be punished by a two-year ban.

Under the agency's regulations, a ratio of testosterone to
epitestosterone greater than 4-to-1 is considered a positive result and
subject to investigation. The most likely natural ratio of testosterone
to epitestosterone in humans is 1-to-1.

However, if Landis had been a user, his earlier urine tests during
the Tour would have been affected, too, said Dr. Gary Wadler, a WADA
member and a spokesman for the American College of Sports Medicine. The
stage 17 test was the first reported abnormal result.

One-time use of steroids could result in an abnormal test, but it
would have no effect on performance and could not account for Landis'
astounding feat in that stage.
"So something's missing here," Dr. Wadler said. "It just doesn't
add up."

Asked repeatedly what might have caused his positive test, Landis
refused to lay blame on anything in particular.

"As to what actually caused it on that particular day, I can only
speculate," he said.
However, Landis suggested in a story posted on Sports Illustrated's
Web site that a small amount of hormone he has been taking for a
thyroid condition or the cortisone shots he gets for hip pain could
have skewed the result. Doctors, however, said the cortisone would not
affect his test results.

Old July 28th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
jerry in vermont

raylopez99 wrote:

put anti-drug spin on the issue, completely clear Landis. He should be
allowed to keep his medal, period.

RL

they dont give medals for the TDF. That would be the Olympics. The
OTHER pro bike race.

TIOOYK....actually there are only TWO.

Joe Baseball in vermont

Old July 29th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Titanl9

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:28:35 GMT, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

Please, won't somebody of stature, an athlete, a new reporter, point out
that there could be an even-bigger story here- the possibility that we've
gone too far and caught a dolphin in the net? Instead of repeating the same
sound bites over and over and over...

Hi Mike, I am new here... long time rider (Fondriest) and racer many years
past. I like your over all intent, good post!

You might check my thread. I live down the road from FL. A few locals
with expertise, more importantly, Sports Med MD credibility, have stepped
up questioning the accusations AND have serious hopes that FL will be
vindicated.
--
T.
Have a wonderful day

Landis tactics Tsarkon Racing 1 July 21st 06 08:41 AM
Watching Unicyling Media on HDTV via DSM-520 cowan Unicycling 2 December 14th 05 04:46 PM
High gas price in media [email protected] General 14 April 14th 05 02:48 AM