Cone wrench size for hub overhaul

Old December 27th 03, 12:15 PM
W A S A T C H

Default Cone wrench size for hub overhaul

I currently own XT hubs and am looking to do an overhaul on the bearings. I
have done this before but seem to have misplaced my wrenches. Does anybody
know the sizes (mm) of the wrenches I need? Do I need two of the same size?
I just can't remember.

Thanks again,

Nate

Old December 27th 03, 04:17 PM
Matt J

"W A S A T C H" asked:
I currently own XT hubs and am looking to do an overhaul on the bearings. I
have done this before but seem to have misplaced my wrenches. Does anybody
know the sizes (mm) of the wrenches I need? Do I need two of the same size?
I just can't remember.

I just overhauled a front high-flange xt disc hub. That one used a 17
for the locknut and a 13 for the cup, iirc. Good luck
Matt
Old December 27th 03, 10:33 PM
Sheldon Brown

A large, hairy person wrote:

I currently own XT hubs and am looking to do an overhaul on the bearings. I
have done this before but seem to have misplaced my wrenches. Does anybody
know the sizes (mm) of the wrenches I need? Do I need two of the same size?
I just can't remember.

Almost all rear hubs use 15 mm; almost all fronts use 13 mm. Two cone
wrenches are good for the front, but for a cassette Freehub in back,
there's no use for more than one.

Ideally you should also have a couple of 17 mm combintion wrenches for
the locknuts, though a few poorly-designed hubs require cone wrenches
for the locknuts.

See also http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

Sheldon "13 x 2, 15 x 1" Brown
| Men have become the tools of their tools. |
| -- Henry David Thoreau |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old December 28th 03, 12:29 AM
W A S A T C H

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
A large, hairy person wrote:

I currently own XT hubs and am looking to do an overhaul on the

bearings. I
have done this before but seem to have misplaced my wrenches. Does

anybody
know the sizes (mm) of the wrenches I need? Do I need two of the same

size?
I just can't remember.

Almost all rear hubs use 15 mm; almost all fronts use 13 mm. Two cone
wrenches are good for the front, but for a cassette Freehub in back,
there's no use for more than one.

Ideally you should also have a couple of 17 mm combintion wrenches for
the locknuts, though a few poorly-designed hubs require cone wrenches
for the locknuts.

Thank you Sheldon Brown, a post from you is always appreciated.

(Even if you call me large and hairy)

Nate

Old December 28th 03, 01:30 AM
Werehatrack

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:29:49 -0700, "W A S A T C H"
may have said:

(Even if you call me large and hairy)

You would perhaps prefer "mountainous"?

it's also possible that I'm busy.
Old December 28th 03, 01:52 AM
W A S A T C H

may have said:

(Even if you call me large and hairy)

You would perhaps prefer "mountainous"?

Yes, much better

-Nate

Old December 28th 03, 02:48 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:33:03 -0500, Sheldon Brown
wrote:

Ideally you should also have a couple of 17 mm combintion wrenches for
the locknuts, though a few poorly-designed hubs require cone wrenches
for the locknuts.

The XT model FH-M737 is one that requires a 17mm cone wrench for the
locknut.

Old December 28th 03, 04:27 AM
W A S A T C H

"Dan Daniel" wrote in message
The XT model FH-M737 is one that requires a 17mm cone wrench for the
locknut.

My hubs are model:
Rear - FH-M750
Front - HB-M751

Thanks for everyones help
-Nate
Old December 28th 03, 04:29 AM
Carl Fogel

A large, hairy person wrote:

I currently own XT hubs and am looking to do an overhaul on the

bearings. I
have done this before but seem to have misplaced my wrenches. Does

anybody
know the sizes (mm) of the wrenches I need? Do I need two of the same

size?
I just can't remember.

Almost all rear hubs use 15 mm; almost all fronts use 13 mm. Two cone
wrenches are good for the front, but for a cassette Freehub in back,
there's no use for more than one.

Ideally you should also have a couple of 17 mm combintion wrenches for
the locknuts, though a few poorly-designed hubs require cone wrenches
for the locknuts.

Thank you Sheldon Brown, a post from you is always appreciated.

(Even if you call me large and hairy)

Nate

Dear Nate,

For all I know, you may be a large and
hairy person, just like me (at least
from the shiny crown down).

But Sheldon may have been punning on
Wasatch-Sasquatch. Or confused Washington
ape-men with Utah mountains.

Carl Fogel