Storing tyres

Old July 30th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_5_]

Default Storing tyres

I usually resist the human hoarding urge when it comes to cheap bike
components but now i've seen some good tyre deals and i'm not sure how
long they'll be in stock I'm going to get at least a spare pair. So given
I'll be buying a pair for use, how best to store the spares? I understand
no UV, minimise air, and room temp is best? Is there a particularly
effective method to achieve this? I'm thinking plastic bags, obviously
choice, but wondered if there would be any detrimental effects from
chemicals in the plastic leeching to the tyre?

Also, are tyre treatment/prep solutions any use or potentially harmful?

Thanks
Old July 30th 10, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 30-7-2010 17:43, Keiron schreef:
I usually resist the human hoarding urge when it comes to cheap bike
components but now i've seen some good tyre deals and i'm not sure how
long they'll be in stock I'm going to get at least a spare pair. So given
I'll be buying a pair for use, how best to store the spares? I understand
no UV, minimise air, and room temp is best? Is there a particularly
effective method to achieve this? I'm thinking plastic bags, obviously
choice, but wondered if there would be any detrimental effects from
chemicals in the plastic leeching to the tyre?

Also, are tyre treatment/prep solutions any use or potentially harmful?

Thanks

Just throw them on the attic. Dark (most of the times) and dry. Don't
over analyse this.

Lou
Old July 30th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 30-7-2010 17:43, Keiron schreef:
I usually resist the human hoarding urge when it comes to cheap bike
components but now i've seen some good tyre deals and i'm not sure how
long they'll be in stock I'm going to get at least a spare pair. So given
I'll be buying a pair for use, how best to store the spares? I understand
no UV, minimise air, and room temp is best? Is there a particularly
effective method to achieve this? I'm thinking plastic bags, obviously
choice, but wondered if there would be any detrimental effects from
chemicals in the plastic leeching to the tyre?

Also, are tyre treatment/prep solutions any use or potentially harmful?

Thanks

Just throw them on the attic. Dark (most of the times) and dry. Don't
over analyse this.

My attic gets very hot in the summer; I think hot is a bad idea for tire
storage. I keep my tire hoard in a drawer in a cool room. I think the
proverbial "cool dark [yes, and dry] place" is best. I've never wrapped
in plastic, and have seen no detriment.

Mark
Old July 30th 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jul 30, 10:43*am, Keiron wrote:
I usually resist the human hoarding urge when it comes to cheap bike
components but now i've seen some good tyre deals and i'm not sure how
long they'll be in stock I'm going to get at least a spare pair. So given
I'll be buying a pair for use, how best to store the spares? I understand
no UV, minimise air, and room temp is best? Is there a particularly
effective method to achieve this? I'm thinking plastic bags, obviously
choice, but wondered if there would be any detrimental effects from
chemicals in the plastic leeching to the tyre?

Also, are tyre treatment/prep solutions any use or potentially harmful?

Thanks

Don't store near the furnace. The ozone causes styrofoam to
deteriorate in helmets and probably tires too.
Old July 30th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jul 30, 4:43*pm, Keiron wrote:
I usually resist the human hoarding urge when it comes to cheap bike
components but now i've seen some good tyre deals and i'm not sure how
long they'll be in stock I'm going to get at least a spare pair. So given
I'll be buying a pair for use, how best to store the spares? I understand
no UV, minimise air, and room temp is best? Is there a particularly
effective method to achieve this? I'm thinking plastic bags, obviously
choice, but wondered if there would be any detrimental effects from
chemicals in the plastic leeching to the tyre?

Also, are tyre treatment/prep solutions any use or potentially harmful?

Thanks

Interesting question as I've recently bought some expensive Big Apple
Liteskins and then discovered my current tyres probably still had a
year or two in them. I've left them sitting in the box meanwhile, as I
argue that their shelf life must be at least a year or two.

On the other hand I've had some inadequate Continentals I took off and
replaced with Marathon Plus hanging in a louvred cupboard in the mud
room for about ten years which on inspection just now showed no sign
of deterioration.

I wouldn't deny tyres air by plastic bagging, but I would guess that
the key thing about the Continentals just hanging on a hook in a
cupboard is that they don't see a lot (or any significant amount) of
UV.

Andre Jute
“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat,
plausible and wrong.” -- H. L. Mencken
Old July 30th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 30 July, 16:43, Keiron wrote:
I usually resist the human hoarding urge when it comes to cheap bike
components but now i've seen some good tyre deals and i'm not sure how
long they'll be in stock I'm going to get at least a spare pair. So given
I'll be buying a pair for use, how best to store the spares? I understand
no UV, minimise air, and room temp is best? Is there a particularly
effective method to achieve this? I'm thinking plastic bags, obviously
choice, but wondered if there would be any detrimental effects from
chemicals in the plastic leeching to the tyre?

Also, are tyre treatment/prep solutions any use or potentially harmful?

Thanks

If they are folders or tubulars, stick them in a shoe box and bag that
and hang it in the cellar or just put it at the bottom of a
wardrobe. A full box is a happy box.
Old August 2nd 10, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

duhduh duh
cut a sheet of plywood to size and lay ONE tire on the plywood- is
kept FLAT (your design) and place in the cool damp basement.
No basement ? then suffer.
one tire per....
Old August 2nd 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

TRY

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...ss.aspx?ID=129

WAXY. and use for Brake Prep search BRAKE PREP in RBT

tried CRC silicone replacing talc. CRC silicone softens rubber. if
used, wipe off excess. i don;t know if wiping off reduces excess
softening as I stopped experimenting following probable excess
softening reducing tube life.

think of the waxy dressing as very tight bag.

CRC has an ntestibng site. freeze dried nut loosener ?
Old August 2nd 10, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Aug 1, 8:02*pm, kolldata wrote:
TRY

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...ss.aspx?ID=129

WAXY. and use for Brake Prep search BRAKE PREP in RBT

tried CRC silicone replacing talc. CRC silicone softens rubber. if
used, wipe off excess. i don;t know if wiping off reduces excess
softening as I stopped experimenting following probable excess
softening reducing tube life.

think of the waxy dressing as very tight bag.

CRC has an ntestibng site. freeze dried nut loosener ?

local noise objects to getting the dressing off moving tire from
storage to road....unknown solution ?
maybe silicone ? I use a food grade from Grainger's: LBS or LPS ?
2-3 years in coolness shouldn't degrade tires. Conti TT's in 27" were
stored in US for years without problems...in Colorado ? Off curse the
last 2-3 I ran blew out in the sidewalls but prob not Conti's design
or production....my overload.

Old August 3rd 10, 11:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 2 Aug, 05:39, kolldata wrote:
[...]

I'd leave whatever 'dressing' or mould release on the tyre where it is
when putting it away for storage. At least some of the waxes(or
whatever) can be taken off with alcohol hand gel when the time comes
to put the tyres on the road. This seems to be about the least
deteriorating to the rubber while still getting off the dressing,
takes about 15 seconds soak time and scrub off with a nailbrush.

Storing bikes Just A User General 26 July 30th 07 11:46 PM
Storing bikes Just A User Techniques 26 July 30th 07 11:46 PM
Storing wheelsets cycledogg Techniques 19 June 4th 07 04:44 AM
Storing Tubies... Phatykoko Techniques 9 July 14th 05 06:51 AM
Storing bikes in Frankfurt just us Australia 1 January 23rd 05 09:11 AM