Rabo Rides

Old August 28th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

Default Rabo Rides

So Rabobank are going with Giant bikes for 2009, according to CN. They've been on
Colnagos forever, it seems. Giant is also going to be doing the frames for the 'cross
team - do they even have a 'crosser?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...008/news/08-27

Plus, they've lost Thomas Dekker as a rider and Michael Boogard quit. I was
surprised that they never found a way to utilize him within the team after he retired.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 28th 08, 07:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Howard Kveck wrote:

So Rabobank are going with Giant bikes for 2009, according to CN. They've
been on
Colnagos forever, it seems. Giant is also going to be doing the frames for
the 'cross
team - do they even have a 'crosser?

Giant TCX. They've had it in the lineup for at least few years.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...008/news/08-27

Plus, they've lost Thomas Dekker as a rider and Michael Boogard quit. I
was
surprised that they never found a way to utilize him within the team after he
retired.

I suspect that Colnago wasn't willing to pay as much as Giant. But is
this in addition to Giant's Columbia (nee High Road, nee Telekom)
sponsorship, or instead of it?

It speaks to Nys' dominance of the sport in the last few years that
while I could have told you he continued his poor World Championship
record last year, I couldn't tell you that Lars Boom was the CX World
champ.

Old August 28th 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 27, 10:11*pm, Howard Kveck wrote:
* *So Rabobank are going with Giant bikes for 2009, according to CN. They've been on
Colnagos forever, it seems. Giant is also going to be doing the frames for the 'cross
team - do they even have a 'crosser?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...008/news/08-27

* *Plus, they've lost Thomas Dekker as a rider and Michael Boogard quit. I was
surprised that they never found a way to utilize him within the team after he retired.

--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * tanx,
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Howard

* * * * * * * * * *The bloody pubs are bloody dull
* * * * * * * * * *The bloody clubs are bloody full
* * * * * * * * * *Of bloody girls and bloody guys
* * * * * * * * * *With bloody murder in their eyes

* * * * * * * * * * *remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Aren't all high-end bicycles the same?
Old August 28th 08, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Howard Kveck schreef:
So Rabobank are going with Giant bikes for 2009, according to CN. They've been on
Colnagos forever, it seems. Giant is also going to be doing the frames for the 'cross
team - do they even have a 'crosser?

I thought 'they' were Rabobank (ready to call you a dumbass) but Ryan
saw it right.

Plus, they've lost Thomas Dekker as a rider and Michael Boogard quit. I was
surprised that they never found a way to utilize him within the team after he retired.

They tried in some way. Boogerd himself wanted to do something with one
of the teams, the development squad most likely as a step up to the pro
team. That didn't happen because of the managerial changes of last year.
It was never communicated but I think Boogerd was deemed oldskool and
not fit for teaching the next generation. Breukink secured his spot
somehow and I can't figure out how E. Dekker managed to save (or even
get) his. Probably because he was considered a wiley tactician on the
road, people figured he'd be good as team leader.

Anyway, after Boogerd didn't get his spot with the cycling team, he was
promoted away to entertain and drive around VIPs for the team. A few
weeks ago he came out and said that he didn't like doing that (enough to
keep doing it) so that was the end of his Rabobank involvement. I think
he may have a future as TV commentator, co for now, maybe main later.
One day in the Tour was his debut on Dutch TV and it was very
refreshing. Actually the first time in years I switched to them from my
regular Sporza (Flemish) channel. He's immediately much better than the
Dutch guys in recognizing the riders and their moves. They also tried
using him a few more days as flash or character interviewer. Sometimes
interesting because he had easier access to the riders and they reacted
differently but mainly he needs a lot more practice.

Now Sporza had him as co-commentator as well last week, one day, for the
Eneco Tour.

Old August 28th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 28, 12:11*am, Howard Kveck wrote:
* *So Rabobank are going with Giant bikes for 2009, according to CN. They've been on
Colnagos forever, it seems. Giant is also going to be doing the frames for the 'cross
team - do they even have a 'crosser?

Just about forever. Raas rode Colnagos when he split off from the
Raleigh team and formed Kwantum back in 84. Colnagos remained
constant thru Buckler, Wordperfect, Novel, Superconfex and all the
rest. It will be strange not seeing them on the Colnagos.....
Old August 29th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Ted van de Weteringe wrote:

Howard Kveck schreef:
So Rabobank are going with Giant bikes for 2009, according to CN.
They've been on Colnagos forever, it seems. Giant is also going to be
doing the frames for the 'cross team - do they even have a 'crosser?

I thought 'they' were Rabobank (ready to call you a dumbass) but Ryan
saw it right.

Heh, thanks. The Rabobank cyclocross team, to me, has been just about the most
consistently strong team for many years. Nijs, Groenendaal, Boom, Vanthourenhout -
those guys pretty much ruled and there were plenty of others.

Plus, they've lost Thomas Dekker as a rider and Michael Boogard quit. I
was surprised that they never found a way to utilize him within the team
after he retired.

They tried in some way. Boogerd himself wanted to do something with one
of the teams, the development squad most likely as a step up to the pro
team. That didn't happen because of the managerial changes of last year.
It was never communicated but I think Boogerd was deemed oldskool and
not fit for teaching the next generation.

Maybe it had to do with losing a sprint to LANCE...

Breukink secured his spot
somehow and I can't figure out how E. Dekker managed to save (or even
get) his. Probably because he was considered a wiley tactician on the
road, people figured he'd be good as team leader.

I think Eric Dekker has done a pretty good job. Whether his tactical sense has
been able to be used or not is hard to tell. He always seemed like a
fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants kind of guy and I don't really know if that translates
into the driver's seat of the team car. Venga, venga, venga!

Anyway, after Boogerd didn't get his spot with the cycling team, he was
promoted away to entertain and drive around VIPs for the team. A few
weeks ago he came out and said that he didn't like doing that (enough to
keep doing it) so that was the end of his Rabobank involvement.

That seemed like such an unlikely job for him to me.

I think he may have a future as TV commentator, co for now, maybe main
later. One day in the Tour was his debut on Dutch TV and it was very
refreshing. Actually the first time in years I switched to them from my
regular Sporza (Flemish) channel. He's immediately much better than the
Dutch guys in recognizing the riders and their moves. They also tried
using him a few more days as flash or character interviewer. Sometimes
interesting because he had easier access to the riders and they reacted
differently but mainly he needs a lot more practice.

Well, that stuff doesn't always come immediately. A guy has to get comfortable
about the idea that lots of people are watching you and not let that bother you. (I
found the trick for that when doing radio: you aren't talking to anyone, you're
talking to a microphone - an inanimate object [1]). Anyway, that seems like a far
better gig than trundling alleged VIPs around for the boss.

Now Sporza had him as co-commentator as well last week, one day, for the
Eneco Tour.

[1] Insert your own reference to Kunich's girlfriend here.

Old August 29th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
" wrote:

On Aug 28, 12:11*am, Howard Kveck wrote:
* *So Rabobank are going with Giant bikes for 2009, according to CN.
They've been on
Colnagos forever, it seems. Giant is also going to be doing the frames for
the 'cross
team - do they even have a 'crosser?

Just about forever. Raas rode Colnagos when he split off from the
Raleigh team and formed Kwantum back in 84. Colnagos remained
constant thru Buckler, Wordperfect, Novel, Superconfex and all the
rest. It will be strange not seeing them on the Colnagos.....

I'd forgotten that Wordperfect and Novell were also on Colnagos - thanks for the
reminder, Brian. Your last line is exactly what I was thinking: it will be strange. I
can't think of a team that's stayed so consistent with one frame builder except
Echavarri's teams from Banesto on.

Old August 29th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Ted van de Weteringe wrote:

Ryan Cousineau schreef:
It speaks to Nys' dominance of the sport in the last few years that
while I could have told you he continued his poor World Championship
record last year, I couldn't tell you that Lars Boom was the CX World
champ.

Dumbass,

I cannot disagree with this rebuttal.

Rabo and Disco verb[_2_] Australia 5 August 6th 07 12:01 PM
Mr. Six rides a uni! patmoore Unicycling 2 November 23rd 06 11:14 PM
Two fun rides small change Mountain Biking 3 September 11th 06 10:13 PM
my first rides nosabe332 Unicycling 1 August 2nd 05 08:36 AM
New Rabo tactic Ewoud Dronkert Racing 2 September 6th 04 05:13 AM