Ride report

Old August 19th 16, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

Default Help required for OCD poster JNugent

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 00:07:07 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 18/08/2016 18:42, Bod wrote:

I drove to Kings Cross/St Pancras stations about 2 months ago to pick up
my son and his family. His train was delayed for 90 minutes so I drove
around for an hour. Every cyclist I saw was riding properly, even Boris
Johnson who stopped at traffic lights next to me.

You have to be using some non-standard definition of "properly".

It is normal (in the sense of "usual") for cyclists in London to disobey
every traffic regulation that they can possibly break.

And why do you think it's improper to break stupid traffic laws?

--
A penny saved is ridiculous.
Old August 20th 16, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_2_]

Default Ride report

On 8/18/2016 7:04 AM, JNugent wrote:
On 18/08/2016 13:30, NY wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
On 18/08/2016 09:11, Bod wrote:

On 18/08/2016 09:02, Alycidon wrote:
On Thursday, 18 August 2016 00:44:51 UTC+1, Nick wrote:

Oh, the fatal accident, another one of those motorist crashes into
shop
types.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/bromley/14682760.Woman_injured_in_Petts_Wood_charity_shop_ crash_dies_in_hospital/

Cheers - don't think we've had a ride report for about 15 years!

Seems a weekly occurrence when a driver crashes into a building , even
pedestrians on the pavements etc.

More appropriate NGs.

Very sad when this happens. I wonder if the car was an automatic. I
wonder if the driver accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the
brake and then didn't have the quick reactions of a younger person to
realise what they'd done and to change feet to the brake pedal.

With a manual car, there is the chance if you were slowing down that
you'd be in the wrong gear for accelerating, so pressing the accelerator
would stall the engine, whereas an automatic would just change down.

I've sometimes wondered whether automatics and elderly people don't mix
- which is ironic since autos are generally easier for elderly people
who may have poorer coordination (eg between clutch and accelerator).

I am not a fan of automatics, though unfortunately, in the USA (which is
where I do do most of my renting), there are no manual transmission cars
available, except for the odd piece of exotica which is out of my price
range.

I could lend you Ol' Bessie for a modicum price.
Old August 20th 16, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
James Wilkinson

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 13:30:16 +0100, NY wrote:

How the **** could you do that, considering they're in exactly the same place as a manual?

and then
didn't have the quick reactions of a younger person to realise what they'd
done and to change feet to the brake pedal.

With a manual car, there is the chance if you were slowing down that you'd
be in the wrong gear for accelerating, so pressing the accelerator would
stall the engine, whereas an automatic would just change down.

Which is why so many accidents are caused by people coming out of a junction in third instead of first and stalling it in the middle of fast flowing traffic. Mind you, quite why they don't just dip the clutch when they feel the lack of power I don't know. I can take off in third just fine, I just give it more gas and less clutch.

All cars should be automatics. That way your left hand is always free to ****ing well indicate!

--
A mute walks into a drugstore (chemist) to buy package of prophylactics. Unable to tell the pharmacist what he wants, he puts a $5.00 bill on the counter, unzips his pants, and puts his dick on the counter and points to it.

The pharmacist watches, unzips his own fly, puts his dick on the counter, puts a ruler down next to both of them, points out that his is 1 inch longer and takes the mute's $5.00 bill.
Old August 20th 16, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
James Wilkinson

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 15:04:29 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 18/08/2016 13:30, NY wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
On 18/08/2016 09:11, Bod wrote:

[...]

What on earth could anyone have against an automatic?

--
TEACHER: Millie, give me a sentence starting with "I"
MILLIE: I is..
Old August 20th 16, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Peter M Hucker

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James "Wilkinson" LOL), The Rectum's old Whore! LOL

The Peeler wrote:
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 17:37:59 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson"), the Rectum's old whore, wrote:

With a manual car, there is the chance if you were slowing down
that you'd be in the wrong gear for accelerating, so pressing the
accelerator would stall the engine, whereas an automatic would
just change down.

I've sometimes wondered whether automatics and elderly people
don't mix - which is ironic since autos are generally easier for
elderly people who may have poorer coordination (eg between clutch
and accelerator).

I am not a fan of automatics, though unfortunately, in the USA
(which is where I do do most of my renting), there are no manual
transmission cars available, except for the odd piece of exotica
which is out of my price range.

What on earth could anyone have against an automatic?

Too difficult to understand for your birdbrain, Macaw! BG

ples help me too wank of in legel + d-i-y

Old August 20th 16, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
jnugent

wrote:

On 18/08/2016 13:30, NY wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
On 18/08/2016 09:11, Bod wrote:

[...]

They're OK, but I prefer the real thing.

And small cars with auto-transmission are an absolute pain.
Old August 20th 16, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
James Wilkinson

wrote:

On 18/08/2016 13:30, NY wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
On 18/08/2016 09:11, Bod wrote:

[...]

The only autos I've ever driven are a 3.5L V8 Range Rover, a VW Golf 1.9 TDI, a 2L Honda CRV, a Rover 75, and an old Jag. Didn't have a problem with those. They are much more responsive than having to change gear yourself, no matter how quick you do it.

--
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours -- Stephen Roberts
Old August 20th 16, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
NY

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
Very sad when this happens. I wonder if the car was an automatic. I
wonder
if the driver accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brake

How the **** could you do that, considering they're in exactly the same
place as a manual?

Just as easily (if you are incompetent) but the consequences may be
different because in a manual you might be saved by the engine stalling.

Which is why so many accidents are caused by people coming out of a
junction in third instead of first and stalling it in the middle of fast
flowing traffic. Mind you, quite why they don't just dip the clutch when
they feel the lack of power I don't know. I can take off in third just
fine, I just give it more gas and less clutch.

Yes, been there. In my case it was when I was still moving slightly as I
went to accelerate to cross a line of oncoming traffic when turning right,
and thought that the car would pick up speed in second, only to find that
the engine stalled. Yes, dip the clutch, crank the starter, hope it starts
immediately, rev the engine, bring up the clutch and shoot off like a
scalded cat. Sort out the consequences when I'm clear of the car that's
bearing down on me. Bollocked by wife who was sitting beside me. Lesson
learned. :-)

I've sometimes wondered whether automatics and elderly people don't mix -
which is ironic since autos are generally easier for elderly people who
may
have poorer coordination (eg between clutch and accelerator).

All cars should be automatics. That way your left hand is always free to
****ing well indicate!

I tend to indicate beforehand, long before I need to change gear. But then I
slow down in top gear, dipping the clutch as the engine is about to stall if
necessary, and then go for whatever is the right gear for the situation at
that instant (ie, second or third if there's a gap in the traffic that I'm
about to join and I can keep going; first if there's no gap and I need to
stop). By the time I'm at that stage, I've already been indicating for a
fair few seconds.

Old August 20th 16, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
NY

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
What on earth could anyone have against an automatic?

They tend to change gear at the wrong time when I'm not expecting - in
particular when in a manual car I'd stay in third gear on the approach to a
roundabout and floor the accelerator while staying in third rather than
having the transmission engage second half-way round and get a sudden extra
burst of power. Knowing this foible, you very gingerly increase the power to
accelerate away, and go from sluggish in third to kick-in-the-back in second
without any control of the transition between the two.

I also find it much harder to set off from rest smoothly in an automatic:
you gradually increase the throttle pressure and at some point the gearbox
engages and the car surges forwards, whereas in a manual you get the
fine-tuning of being able to let the clutch in gradually.

Finally, it's virtually impossible to change down smoothly if you manually
select L as you are about to go down a steep hill where engine braking is
needed - again down to the lack of manual control of the clutch and the fact
that you are selecting a lower gear than you might select in a manual.

I've never driven a DSG automated manual car (I'd like to try it) but that
would probably suit me better, when used in manual mode - let me decide
*when* to change gear but let the gearbox handle the mechanics of changing
gear smoothly without me having to match engine speed to new gear.

But I'd have to be very lazy not to want to do all that myself anyway ;-)

Old August 20th 16, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
James Wilkinson

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 20:16:29 +0100, NY wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
Very sad when this happens. I wonder if the car was an automatic. I
wonder
if the driver accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brake

How the **** could you do that, considering they're in exactly the same
place as a manual?

Just as easily (if you are incompetent) but the consequences may be
different because in a manual you might be saved by the engine stalling.

It's impossible to stall an engine that is already running by giving it more gas.

[...]

You don't need the starter unless you're too slow with the clutch. And modern cars are dangerous here, they won't allow the starter to run a 2nd time.

I've sometimes wondered whether automatics and elderly people don't mix -
which is ironic since autos are generally easier for elderly people who
may
have poorer coordination (eg between clutch and accelerator).

All cars should be automatics. That way your left hand is always free to
****ing well indicate!

I tend to indicate beforehand, long before I need to change gear.

I change gear as and when required, and that's often at the same time as needing to indicate, especially turning right on a roundabout which needs two indications, and especially if you have an annoying car that cancels the indicators too easily so you have to reapply them.

But then I
slow down in top gear, dipping the clutch as the engine is about to stall if
necessary, and then go for whatever is the right gear for the situation at
that instant (ie, second or third if there's a gap in the traffic that I'm
about to join and I can keep going; first if there's no gap and I need to
stop). By the time I'm at that stage, I've already been indicating for a
fair few seconds.

Depends on the situation.

--
A teacher wanted to teach her students about self-esteem, so she asked anyone who thought they were stupid to stand up. One kid stood up and the teacher was surprised. She didn’t think anyone would stand up so she asked him, “Why did you stand up?” He answered, “I didn’t want to leave you standing up by yourself.”