Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.

Old February 9th 21, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.

An article on fenders [AKA mudguards] from Bicycling, via Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...221400152.html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 9th 21, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 10:14:25 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
An article on fenders [AKA mudguards] from Bicycling, via Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...221400152.html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

If you ride in the rain you definitely improve the experience if you use standard fenders. Those "minimal" fenders do almost nothing. Unless convince you that you are improving your chanced of not getting mud up your back.
Old February 9th 21, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...21400152..html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Some of the clip-ons are really nice, like the SKS Raceblade Pros. https://content.backcountry.com/imag...KSB007/BLA.jpg Easy on and easy off, great adjustability and pretty good protection, and reasonable protection for following riders. I had some of those on the Norco gravel bike, and they were great.

I see no problem with clip-on fenders for bikes that are rarely ridden in the rain or racing bikes that don't have eyelets. Even well mounted fenders on a bike with good clearance will clog and rattle and can be a real problem if you snag blow-down. Fenders are not all upside and older models could be pretty dangerous if they crumpled into your wheel after picking up a stick.

My commuter and fast rain bike have full fenders, and my commuter has my swanky custom mud flap that I riveted on to the fender to reduce rooster tail when riding with the herd of pre-COVID commuters. We call them "frienders" up here, and you will be shamed if you have inadequate coverage -- or relegated to the back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/krheap...7632139896627/ Civilized rain riding with long flaps. Showers Pass . . . it's the best. That is mostly a clip-on crowd riding their racing bikes.

I hate metal fenders because they are so noisy. I have a friend who uses metal fenders, and every time we go through a patch of gravel, the noise makes me jump out of my skin.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 9th 21, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
An article on fenders [AKA mudguards] from Bicycling, via Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...221400152.html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

My road bike is a gravel bike, so i don’t fit them, for tire clearance
reasons generally.

I have some clip on’s for club runs though haven’t used it for quite a
while!

Roger Merriman

Old February 9th 21, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 13:14:20 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

An article on fenders [AKA mudguards] from Bicycling, via Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...221400152.html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

Well, I suppose that "real men" have a muddy stripe up the back of
their jerseys :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 9th 21, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
An article on fenders [AKA mudguards] from Bicycling, via Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...21400152..html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

--
- Frank Krygowski

My full loaded touring bike has a full set of fenders. Plastic and a flap on the front fender. No flap on the back. But I should probably cut up a plastic laundry jug and make a flap for the back fender. Bolt it on. Add some color. Single speed commuting bike has a half fender on the back that bolts to the seatpost. And a piece of plastic that straps around the downtube for the front. I suppose it deflects some of the spray from the front tire. This bike is always ridden alone so keeping the water spray off me is the only priority.
Old February 9th 21, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 5:20:11 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Forgot to say that I never ever ride any of the fast sporty bikes in the rain. So they don't need fenders. Don't ride if its raining or a threat of rain. But the commuter and touring bike may require riding even if its raining. Work did not get canceled if it rained. Still had to commute to work in the rain. And sometimes it rains in the middle of a week long tour and the tour must go on.
Old February 10th 21, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 1:14:25 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
An article on fenders [AKA mudguards] from Bicycling, via Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...21400152..html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

--
- Frank Krygowski

From the article:
"If you often join group rides, a rear fender is a great investment because it will save your bottom from getting soaked and will prevent anyone who gets on your wheel from getting sprayed in the face. "

The second part isn't true. The tire will pick up road water and spray it tangentially to the rear wheel's circumference. There are plenty of straight lines that connect an uncovered portion of the rear wheel tangentially into a follower's face, in a pace line.

The fender does prevent that black streak up the middle of jersey, as Mr. John B. notes. It also prevents road dirt from being deposited onto the front derailleur or water from finding its way down the seat tube.

BTW, rear spray onto a follower in a pace line can be used to keep a constant distance from the wheel in front. The point where the spray hits is an indication of how close you are following. Keeping that spray at a certain point on my lower leg, was the quickest indication I had that I might be losing contact or getting too close. This was especially true for riding brevets at night back in the day when bike lights were not that good.
Old February 10th 21, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 2/9/2021 4:56 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 1:14:25 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
An article on fenders [AKA mudguards] from Bicycling, via Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...221400152.html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

--
- Frank Krygowski

From the article:
"If you often join group rides, a rear fender is a great investment because it will save your bottom from getting soaked and will prevent anyone who gets on your wheel from getting sprayed in the face."

The second part isn't true. The tire will pick up road water and spray it tangentially to the rear wheel's circumference. There are plenty of straight lines that connect an uncovered portion of the rear wheel tangentially into a follower's face, in a pace line.

That's what add-on rear mud flaps, preferably LONG ones, are for.
Tedious that you have to add them yourself to virtually all commercial
fenders, but still a necessity on civilized group rides in the rain.

Mark J.

Old February 10th 21, 11:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Axel Reichert

" writes:

Keeping that spray at a certain point on my lower leg, was the
quickest indication I had that I might be losing contact or getting
too close. This was especially true for riding brevets at night

Sounds like you were doing underbiking, but at least making the most of
it: Bad/no fenders, bad/no light, good paceline. (-;

Axel

New mudguards Budstaff UK 8 March 29th 06 06:39 PM
Mudguards anjuna UK 6 January 18th 06 02:28 AM
mudguards anjuna UK 46 January 15th 06 10:46 AM
Mudguards Alan Paterson UK 10 August 13th 04 10:33 AM
20" mudguards ? kingsley Australia 3 April 5th 04 12:26 PM