Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.

Old February 10th 21, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 2:12:48 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 10:14:25 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
An article on fenders [AKA mudguards] from Bicycling, via Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...221400152.html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Some of the clip-ons are really nice, like the SKS Raceblade Pros. https://content.backcountry.com/imag...KSB007/BLA.jpg Easy on and easy off, great adjustability and pretty good protection, and reasonable protection for following riders. I had some of those on the Norco gravel bike, and they were great.

I see no problem with clip-on fenders for bikes that are rarely ridden in the rain or racing bikes that don't have eyelets. Even well mounted fenders on a bike with good clearance will clog and rattle and can be a real problem if you snag blow-down. Fenders are not all upside and older models could be pretty dangerous if they crumpled into your wheel after picking up a stick.

My commuter and fast rain bike have full fenders, and my commuter has my swanky custom mud flap that I riveted on to the fender to reduce rooster tail when riding with the herd of pre-COVID commuters. We call them "frienders" up here, and you will be shamed if you have inadequate coverage -- or relegated to the back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/krheap...7632139896627/ Civilized rain riding with long flaps. Showers Pass . . . it's the best. That is mostly a clip-on crowd riding their racing bikes.

I hate metal fenders because they are so noisy. I have a friend who uses metal fenders, and every time we go through a patch of gravel, the noise makes me jump out of my skin.

-- Jay Beattie.

I use the SKS on my commuter. though to be honest, I tend not to ride if it's raining when I would normally be starting out unless it's already in the upper 60's. Yeah, I'm kind of a wimp in cold rain.
Old February 10th 21, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op dinsdag 9 februari 2021 om 19:14:25 UTC+1 schreef Frank Krygowski:
An article on fenders [AKA mudguards] from Bicycling, via Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...221400152.html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

--
- Frank Krygowski

If I get wet anyway, have to shower after a ride, clean my bike and is not too cold I see no reason to mount full fenders on my road bikes. My only concern is that my ass/chamois don't get wet. For that a small clip on ass saver is perfect:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ANDq1YVh8UfyeRDe8

Lou
Old February 10th 21, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 5:02:31 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/9/2021 6:20 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
An article on fenders [AKA mudguards] from Bicycling, via Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...221400152.html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

--
- Frank Krygowski

My full loaded touring bike has a full set of fenders. Plastic and a flap on the front fender. No flap on the back. But I should probably cut up a plastic laundry jug and make a flap for the back fender.

FWIW, I have a bunch of EPDM rubber sheet left over from a home
remodeling project. I now cut my flaps out of that, instead of plastic
jugs. It's ever so much classier. ;-)

I've used all sorts of things for flaps, but check this out:
tinyurl.com/4hvuba6h

$7 and free shipping to PDX. I bought a pair since I have the Cascadia fenders on one bike that doesn't have flaps yet. Planet Bike is in Madison -- maybe Andrew knows them.

Our "local" fender makers are Portland Design Works: https://ridepdw.com/collections/fenders They have some nice fenders, too, and add-on mudflaps (leather and rubber) and a mind-bending selection of mounting hardware. The PB are cheaper, but the good thing about the PDW plastic fenders is that you start with a more generous flap, and you don't have fender stay-ends poking out and getting hung up on stuff. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1553723764

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 10th 21, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/10/2021 9:52 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 5:02:31 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:

FWIW, I have a bunch of EPDM rubber sheet left over from a home
remodeling project. I now cut my flaps out of that, instead of plastic
jugs. It's ever so much classier. ;-)

I've used all sorts of things for flaps, but check this out:
tinyurl.com/4hvuba6h

I've got Planet Bike fenders on several bikes. On most, their flaps have
been good enough for me. But the three bikes most likely ridden in the
rain now have longer front flaps, of EPDM.

I had to cut the rear Planet Bike fender flap off our tandem. That's
because I store it vertically in our basement, hanging from its front
wheel. I sort of roll the front wheel up the wall to get it hooked in
place; but the rear fender flap would drag or snag on the floor,
complicating that move.

But even if our club rides did go in the wet, it wouldn't matter much of
the time. It's a tandem, so on downhills everyone is far behind us. On
uphills, everyone is far in front of us. :-/

Our "local" fender makers are Portland Design Works: https://ridepdw.com/collections/fenders They have some nice fenders, too, and add-on mudflaps (leather and rubber) and a mind-bending selection of mounting hardware. The PB are cheaper, but the good thing about the PDW plastic fenders is that you start with a more generous flap, and you don't have fender stay-ends poking out and getting hung up on stuff. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1553723764

I like the idea of the stays wrapping the outside of the fender, and I
like the look of their dropout hardware. I assume it's intended both to
adjust stay length and to release if snagged?

We have PB's competing design on our Fridays - a plastic friction collet
that grabs the plain end of the fender stay, and is held to the plastic
fender by a tiny pointed screw. It was touted as both an adjustment and
a safety measure, but it has several problems: The tiny screw has come
loose, the collet's collar requires a LOT of torque to prevent slipping,
that collar is too big in diameter and often touches the tire,
generating a squeak.

That latter problem is also because the only connection between the
right and left stay is the flexible plastic fender, so there's lots of
lateral movement. I think most plastic fenders have a metal connector
between the stays, riveted in place. But I like best the look of a
U-shaped stay, and intend to modify ours that way.

Speaking of safety: Again, the collets and other design tricks are used
to allow fender stays to pop loose if (say) a stick is snagged, to
prevent locking the bike's wheel and perhaps throwing a person over the
bars. I've snagged sticks only with my mountain bike and only in a minor
way. How common is that type of crash? Anyone encounter it?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 10th 21, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/9/2021 6:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

We stock those flaps. Sell one (half a pair) once every
couple of years. As others here have noted, mudguard flaps
make sense while the population of riders is mostly
senseless. Personally, I have full length steel mudguards on
two commuter bikes (summer/winter) which do not rattle.

Planet Bike, like Trek and Schwinn, in sorta "in my area"
but actually china.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 10th 21, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Krygowski wrote:

[...]

I can't recall a case of rider injury from crud under
mudguard but it seems possible, horrible, and easy to design
around. The German standard requires such on the front so
mudguard sets sold there have to include a safety release.

Speaking of mudguard design, I prefer solid-strut welded
steel mudguards which AFAIK are no longer made anywhere.
They do not rattle. Adjustment, for those of you with
similar, is by changing the stay curvature slightly up near
the stay/mudguard interface.

Old February 10th 21, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 2/9/2021 6:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

I have been using pieces of a ribbed black rubber carpet runner. Looks
ok, stays flexible.
Old February 10th 21, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 2/10/2021 8:52 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...] I like the idea of the stays wrapping the outside of the fender[...]

I think that's a better design, yes, though it might make adjustability
harder.

On really rainy brevets with stays that mount underneath the fender,
I've had flows of water that were going down the inside of the front
fender get diverted by the under-fender bracket/mount, so that part of
the flow gets sprayed outward, at just the right height to soak my feet.
Even good booties can soak through eventually.

Mark J.
Old February 10th 21, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Krygowski wrote:

[...]

I've dragged one or two front fenders into my wheel picking up blow-down. Because of my superior bike-handling skills and Ninja-like reflexes, I suffered no grievous bodily injury. More often than not, the inconvenience is loose hardware or having to readjust them to fit bigger rubber, etc. Riding through the Ozarks, my fenders packed up with tar and crushed rock riding on hot macadam roads -- or whatever that proto-asphalt is called. What a mess. I tossed the fenders.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 10th 21, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Krygowski wrote:

[...]

A nice name for it would be 'inexcusable':
https://wsdot.wa.gov/construction-pl...tion/chip-seal

Yeah, tossing the mudguards was probably the best solution.
Yecchh.

New mudguards Budstaff UK 8 March 29th 06 06:39 PM
Mudguards anjuna UK 6 January 18th 06 03:28 AM
mudguards anjuna UK 46 January 15th 06 11:46 AM
Mudguards Alan Paterson UK 10 August 13th 04 10:33 AM
20" mudguards ? kingsley Australia 3 April 5th 04 12:26 PM