Garmin Speed sensor

Old February 10th 21, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default Garmin Speed sensor

I have a Garmin 910xt that I use for the bike of course GPS keeps track of my speed. I decided to get the rear speed sensor that goes around the rear hub and should come today. So I realize that indoors it makes sense but what about using it outdoors with the GPS. My understanding is the speed sensor will overrule the GPS speed data. My years of using this it is pretty much dead accurate for distance so speed should be deadly accurate. I have done many long rides and hit the same mileage marks almost within 10-50 feet for 20-40 miles.

I also bought the cadence sensor and have never used a cadence sensor figuring I can count my cadence anytime I want. So do any of the group use a speed sensor when riding outdoors? I guess you can hook it up with Zwift but I have never used Zwift don't see the benefit as long as I know my speed on and heart rate on the trainer. I have a cateye at the moment set up for the back wheel on my trainer bike. I give this garmin a go. Some how Zwift measures power but I cannot figure out how that could be anything more than an educated guess.
Deacon Mark............in the very cold midwest
Old February 10th 21, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 2/10/2021 9:40 AM, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've used a speed sensor / wheel sensor on two bikes for my Garmin
Edge (handlebar mount GPS).

I'm pretty sure you're correct that the wheel/speed sensor overrides the
GPS signal for speed and distance... sort of. There's some subtlety,
though. The Edge calibrates wheel size automatically - it never asked
me to input a setting - I think by comparing with the GPS. Then I
expect the sensor is used to overrule the GPS when the GPS "glitches."

If you have a "dumb" trainer, yes, Zwift estimates power based on speed
- and is notoriously crude about it. Common wisdom on Zwift discussion
groups is that one usually sees a major power "loss" when switching to a
wheel-off smart trainer. I.e. that for wheel-on or dumb trainers, Zwift
overestimates.

Mark J.
Old February 10th 21, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 10 februari 2021 om 18:40:04 UTC+1 schreef Mark cleary:
[...]

The GPS distance is OK accurate. The speed based on GPS sucks big time. It goes from 30 km/hr to 25 km/hr and back and forth within seconds. I don't know what algorithm Garmin uses but it is crap. My Wahoo does a better job but not as accurate as a speed sensor. I use always a separate speed sensor when outside and yes it overrules the GPS speed which wasn't the case a couple of years ago which I never understood and I complained about that. Ala Garmin doesn't employ the best software people....

Lou
Old February 10th 21, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 1:31:44 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

My speed on the GPS seems to be consistent and track pretty even. I also live in the flatlands that could be another reason. I have always used a cateye wireless even with the Garmin 910 on the bike. They are almost deadly consistent with readings never much apart. In fact I did a wheel roll out on my bike to input the proper wheel diameter for the cateye, and the margin of error between the GPS and cateye is like 1%. The overall speed for a 50 mile ride is either the same or possible .1 mph difference. That is my reluctance to use the sensor outside. I just hooked it up in the basement and works fine.
Deacon Mark
Old February 10th 21, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 10 februari 2021 om 21:35:51 UTC+1 schreef Mark cleary:
[...]

That is remarkable. I'm a long term Garmin user: Etrex, Edge305, Edge705, Edge 810 and a Edge1030 and the speed was always crap. For a long time I didn't care about the speed during the ride so I didn't even had it as a data field. But on group rides we agree on a max speed so now I have a speed data field and a speed sensor. I challenge you about the flatness ;-)

Lou
Old February 10th 21, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

Probably depends on the Garmin, and age. I have one of the newer 830 edges
ie next generation with the Sony chipset, speed has no glitches even in the
hilly wooded areas.

The older Garmin it replaced would sometimes also was desperately slow as
its CPU was too underpowered.

Roger Merriman

Old February 11th 21, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Mark J. wrote:
[...]

I use speed and cadence sensors with my 830. I find it more stable for the
speed sensor than GPS
The speed sensor takes precedence but it’s a bit glitchy. For example if
you’re on a ferry and the gps picks up motion it may override the speed
sensor.

If you have a "dumb" trainer, yes, Zwift estimates power based on speed
- and is notoriously crude about it. Common wisdom on Zwift discussion
groups is that one usually sees a major power "loss" when switching to a
wheel-off smart trainer. I.e. that for wheel-on or dumb trainers, Zwift
overestimates.

I don’t use Zwift but in general I agree. Switching from a vortex to a
flux 2 caused a major power loss. The simulated incline went from 6 to 16%
as well.

Mark J.

Old February 11th 21, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

For me it wasn’t flatness but tree cover. The GPS speed would get pretty
crappy. Wheel sensors are much more accurate.

Old February 11th 21, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Roger Merriman wrote:
Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

That may be true. My problems were from the 800 days. I have an 830 now
but since I have the speed sensor a
I can’t comment.

Polar Speed Sensor - New Madone Fork? Andrew F Martin[_2_] Techniques 7 February 17th 08 04:57 AM
Speed sensor suck-in? Paul Techniques 12 June 20th 06 12:37 AM
Trade new Polar S2 speed sensor \ transmitter for cadence sensor Chris M Techniques 0 November 10th 05 08:11 PM
Polar Speed Sensor 2 mounting locations and performance Chris M Techniques 5 October 6th 05 02:22 PM
Using Polar HRM with a Cateye speed sensor Jason Spaceman Techniques 2 October 3rd 04 12:13 PM