Gravel bikes

Old February 13th 21, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Gravel bikes

The Felt gravel bike I bought is costing more to build than anticipated. The wheels were cheap enough and as Jay said, I would have to have special spacers machined to change the front wheel over to 15 mm through axle. But I got a matching Bontrager front wheel with through axle for only $100. The problem now is that the rear wheel used a bolt on disk while the front wheel uses a splined disk. They are cheap enough but have to be bought and sent separately from different suppliers. I bought a fork crown race installation tool and they sent the wrong size. But since I will probably use it for other bikes, I'll keep it. And since I don't want to pay another $40, I will just take it up to the local shop to install the race. I guess the 10 speed cassette went off with the Redline and so I have to buy a new one.

I bought a 15 mm through axle and it turned out not to be the same as a road dork though it said specifically "road fork". It was for a hardtail with a suspension fork. So I had to order the correct size. I'll sell this one locally on craigslist. Now I have to buy a set of gravel tires and tubes. Of course when you want them the hundreds of the 32's that everyone thought were too narrow for real off-road riding are no longer on craigslist so I will either wait for a pair to show up or buy them new at $50 apiece.

I cannot find the extra hydraulic tubing for the brakes. The rear brake is all externally routed over tubing holders but the front brake is run internally. Perhaps I will be able to pull off the grommet and then reinstall a new one but it is more likely that I will have to route a new tube and then re-bleed the front brake mechanism.

The bottom bracket on the Felt is a BB386 so I had no way of mounting the XT cranks without buying the new-style press-in bottom bracket. They're cheap enough but they come from China and so it will be a while before I receive it. But maybe not. The Chinese are now giving LONG delivery times but you receive them almost as rapidly as from the East Coast which is SLOW. I think that USPS now is delivering via pony express.

What is holding up the real construction is installation of the fork crown race, the tires and the bottom bracket. The disks and the cassette can be put in any time. I have a 10 speed gold chain that only needs to be cleaned and re-lubed. That is what the ultrasonic cleaner is for.

The flat bar XT push-pull shifters are some of the nicest shifting levers I've ever used including the Di2. I have both a bottom shifting and top shifting front derailleur so I can set that up either way. The rear derailleur is XT with the "clutch". The cranks were brand new when I bought them and I only have a couple hundred miles on them. I seem to have misplaced my Spd MTB pedals so I may have to buy a set of those. The cheap one's are those that people want to use. They are harder to get into and easier to get out of. The higher level ones XT and XTR are really easy to kick into and you have to have a lot of ankle strength to get out of them. That's good for experienced riders but not so hot for newer riders.
Old February 14th 21, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, February 13, 2021 at 11:44:28 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Went down and picked up a set of gravel tires near the Lab. Innertubes are on the way.
Old February 15th 21, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 3:51:28 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

The tires are Clement Explorer with a good gravel tread and are 35 mm with will fit fine in the 55 mm wide front and rear wheel spaces. One of the odd things about the spline disk attachments is that they use a bolt pattern that is the same as the bolt on disks but rather than have loose bolts so that the disk can be more cheaply replaced, the disks are rivetted on. I suppose it takes a thief. I think that they will end up using this spline for everything on a bike from the disk attachments to the crank chain ring attachments and dollars to donuts they will replace the freehub with the spline attachment so that everything is then interchangeable between manufacturers.. I'm sure that the manufacturers are not going to like this but will be forced into it by the cheap Chinese junk coming on the market.
Old February 17th 21, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Does seem a bit sluggish for parts, I had my Gravel bike upgraded to a new
groupset so I could get Hydraulic brakes as gave up with cable, which just
got trashed let alone the lack of braking, at least for a old MTBer such as
myself.

But most parts where easy enough, only the Derailleur took ages!

Roger Merriman

Old February 17th 21, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:14:57 AM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I have everything sitting here that I removed from another bike when I changed it over to a drop bar hydraulic disk Di2 set-up. I think that flat bars are a better idea for a real gravel bike. It gives you more stability. My problem has been getting the minor bits and pieces. The INNERTUBES have been 3 days now coming from Portland. Maybe it got involved with those "mainly peaceful protests" of Jay's in Portland.
Old February 17th 21, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Or maybe the seller saw that the tubes were going to you. I get product from cross-town (Western Bikeworks) in a day, two days tops. Where did you order?

You could always leave the house and go buy some tubes. I'm sure they have some down there in Oakland -- plus you're retired and have nothing better to do. This place has lots of tubes. https://www.laurelcyclery.com/produc...5/?&rb_ct=1108 Go there.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 18th 21, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I bought them from Bike Tires Direct which I thought was back east somewhere but I got an email saying that they were shipping them from Portland.
Old February 18th 21, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Bike Tires Direct is the sister company of Western Bikeworks, and both are in the same building in Portland near the airport. Western Bikeworks had a great bricks and mortar shop in NW Portland, but they moved out and went mostly on line. If you click on "about us," its clear the company is in Portland. I go out there for the annual warehouse sale, along with the herds of other bargain hunters, and there are some serious bargains if you're willing to put up with the crowd.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 18th 21, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Well, you learn something new all the time. I thought that it was a mid-western company.
Old February 18th 21, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Maybe confused with Western Tire & Auto from MO? Famous for
Western Flyer bicycles among other things.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

So you want a gravel bike John B.[_3_] Techniques 2 February 9th 21 02:35 PM
Gravel bikes AK[_2_] Techniques 29 August 1st 20 01:20 PM
A real reason for gravel bikes? Frank Krygowski[_4_] Techniques 83 February 24th 20 12:39 AM
Sand and Gravel Nick Jackson Racing 1 October 14th 09 02:00 AM
Why do some walk their bikes across gravel? Mike Reed Techniques 80 June 12th 06 02:20 PM