We're Melting!

Old February 17th 21, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default We're Melting!

Yesterday, I put together a second set of wheels for my gravel bike with basically OE take-offs (an OE Norco rear and an el cheapo Vuelta front that was part of set that I bought just for the rear wheel). I threw on a center-lock rotor swiped from a different set of wheels, squared-up the discs, put on an old cassette, swapped SPDs for the Look road pedals, threw on some SKS raceblade fenders and some CX knobby tires -- and rode around on my gravel bike after work in the slush. It's melting off nicely, and they actually plowed the roads at the next-door cemetery, which was great riding. https://photos.app.goo.gl/UZM5w3xuBXyqBEd29 Believe it or not, that is about a 9% downhill. which turns across this. https://photos.app.goo.gl/zDQAWmCqmD1Qypnd6 Crappy little 35mm knobbies, but they can cut through that shallow slush. Far more work riding the gravel road through the old cemetery next door. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3iUQGEf6nhU6opNL7 That is obviously a popular walking spot. Traction was really good with my knobbies, but I stalled in places because I lacked the quad strength to make the wheel go around in the deep slush bog. It was sketchy on the streets with narrowed lanes and squirming knobby tires. Low inflation is great for slush and crappy for roads, particularly the sled hills near my house.

I've come to the conclusion that snow has no useful purpose except in the mountains at ski resorts.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 17th 21, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/17/2021 3:47 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

You're way ahead of Chicago where major arterials are plowed
in the traffic lanes only, other streets have a clear center
lane shared by cars going both ways. The rest is impassible
by bicycle with more snow coming. Where cars have been dug
out there are huge snowpiles in the street where bicycles
would normally ride.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 17th 21, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 4:11:48 PM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:

You're way ahead of Chicago where major arterials are plowed
in the traffic lanes only, other streets have a clear center
lane shared by cars going both ways. The rest is impassible
by bicycle with more snow coming. Where cars have been dug
out there are huge snowpiles in the street where bicycles
would normally ride.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

This is an accurate description of the situation in Chicago, where I've been commuting by METRA and folding bike for going on 19 years. I ride from Union Station to the UIC dental school, about 2 miles. The bike lanes are used as repositories for snow plowed off the traffic lanes. There hasn't been a whole lot of car traffic this week, but I've had to pull over to let the occasional car pass me. This would have been impossible without studded tires.
Steve
Old February 17th 21, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 17 februari 2021 om 22:48:01 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:
[...]

I was flying this evening. All snow was gone and 11 C instead of -15 C last week riding studded tires. I can do without the snow. If I want snow I go to the Alpes skiing but the resorts are closed up to now.

Lou
Old February 18th 21, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 2:11:48 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Yah, I couldn't hack a real Mid-West winter. Riding on narrowed, refrozen snowy streets with cars is one of my least favorite activities. What we get here in Portland is a week-long inconvenience -- maybe ten days tops. Just long enough to remind me that I don't like it. Any of it. I've never dreamed of a white Christmas -- except at the resorts. We should regulate snow more aggressively -- zoning restrictions maybe.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 18th 21, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/17/2021 4:22 PM, Steve Weeks wrote:
[...]

As reported by my daughter, who rides daily (Rogers Park,
Lincoln Square, Evanston) has given up and uses Lyft/Uber.

Old February 18th 21, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/17/2021 4:51 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

This guy should have just gone out cycling instead:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/16/half-n...erlands-canal/

Old February 18th 21, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 4:25:28 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Although it is a bit windy, today here is like a fresh spring day. Probably be frozen tomorrow when I go for another hard ride.
Old February 18th 21, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 3:48:01 PM UTC-6, jbeattie wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that snow has no useful purpose except in the mountains at ski resorts.

-- Jay Beattie.

Well...except snow does provide moisture in the ground for the spring planting of crops. Which in some parts of the country is very important. Of course if it rained instead of snowed and stayed above freezing, that would be great too. Better than snow and cold cold cold temps.

Keeping Ice From Melting In A Frozen Water Bottle Bret Cahill[_2_] UK 4 April 5th 12 07:12 AM
Carbon rims melting DirtRoadie Techniques 127 October 31st 10 04:18 AM
I'm melting.. Clive George UK 2 December 9th 08 06:23 PM
Melting Icecaps Tom Kunich Racing 109 September 6th 08 02:08 AM