We're Melting!

Old February 18th 21, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default We're Melting!

Op donderdag 18 februari 2021 om 01:25:28 UTC+1 schreef AMuzi:
On 2/17/2021 4:51 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 17 februari 2021 om 22:48:01 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:
Yesterday, I put together a second set of wheels for my gravel bike with basically OE take-offs (an OE Norco rear and an el cheapo Vuelta front that was part of set that I bought just for the rear wheel). I threw on a center-lock rotor swiped from a different set of wheels, squared-up the discs, put on an old cassette, swapped SPDs for the Look road pedals, threw on some SKS raceblade fenders and some CX knobby tires -- and rode around on my gravel bike after work in the slush. It's melting off nicely, and they actually plowed the roads at the next-door cemetery, which was great riding. https://photos.app.goo.gl/UZM5w3xuBXyqBEd29 Believe it or not, that is about a 9% downhill. which turns across this. https://photos.app.goo.gl/zDQAWmCqmD1Qypnd6 Crappy little 35mm knobbies, but they can cut through that shallow slush. Far more work riding the gravel road through the old cemetery next door. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3iUQGEf6nhU6opNL7 That is obviously a popular walking spot. Tracti

on was really good with my knobbies, but I stalled in places because I lacked the quad strength to make the wheel go around in the deep slush bog. It was sketchy on the streets with narrowed lanes and squirming knobby tires.. Low inflation is great for slush and crappy for roads, particularly the sled hills near my house.

I've come to the conclusion that snow has no useful purpose except in the mountains at ski resorts.

-- Jay Beattie.

I was flying this evening. All snow was gone and 11 C instead of -15 C last week riding studded tires. I can do without the snow. If I want snow I go to the Alpes skiing but the resorts are closed up to now.

Lou

This guy should have just gone out cycling instead:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/16/half-n...erlands-canal/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Also on the canals of Amsterdam last weekend:

https://www.nu.nl/285832/video/kunst...sengracht.html

Lou
Old February 18th 21, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 13:38:55 -0800, Tom Kunich scribed:

I'm glad I live in California since I bought before the Democrats took
over and destroyed the state.

Bad pick them.

Now our idea of a flood is a heavy
thundershower that happens maybe once every couple of years.

Not good. makes Sf reliant on rain/snow from elsewhere.

Old February 19th 21, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/18/2021 4:38 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

I'm glad I live in California since I bought before the Democrats took over and destroyed the state. Now our idea of a flood is a heavy thundershower that happens maybe once every couple of years.

Move to Texas! Enjoy the very, very free market! (Bring your own
drinking water and arctic gear.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 19th 21, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

https://youtu.be/aopdD9Cu-So?t=30

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 19th 21, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 19:27:41 -0500, Frank Krygowski scribed:

On 2/18/2021 4:38 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

I'm glad I live in California since I bought before the Democrats took
over and destroyed the state. Now our idea of a flood is a heavy
thundershower that happens maybe once every couple of years.

Move to Texas! Enjoy the very, very free market! (Bring your own
drinking water and arctic gear.)

Power generation as well, it seems, but for a bicyclist, it shouldn't be
too much of a problem to craft a bicycle driven generator.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...rs-are-bigger-
in-texas-heres-why/
Old February 19th 21, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

On 2/18/2021 4:38 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I'm glad I live in California since I bought before the Democrats
took over and destroyed the state. Now our idea of a flood is a
heavy thundershower that happens maybe once every couple of years.

Move to Texas! Enjoy the very, very free market! (Bring your own
drinking water and arctic gear.)

Also, bring your own electric power:
https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas
ERCOT: Level 3 Alert - Load shedding is ongoing.
http://www.ercot.com
Looks like Texas is following the California example. They are going
to get a big bill for importing out of state electricity. LMP prices
are in megawatt-hrs.
http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/contours/rtmLmp.html
http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/contours/rtmLmpHg.html

"What Went Wrong With Texas’s Main Electric Grid and Could It Have
Been Prevented?"
https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/what-went-wrong-with-texass-main-electric-grid-and-could-it-have-been-prevented/
So much for the promised land.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old February 19th 21, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 17:19:31 -0800, Jeff Liebermann scribed:

wrote:

On 2/18/2021 4:38 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I'm glad I live in California since I bought before the Democrats took
over and destroyed the state. Now our idea of a flood is a heavy
thundershower that happens maybe once every couple of years.

Move to Texas! Enjoy the very, very free market! (Bring your own
drinking water and arctic gear.)

Also, bring your own electric power:
https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas
ERCOT: Level 3 Alert - Load shedding is ongoing.
http://www.ercot.com
Looks like Texas is following the California example. They are going to
get a big bill for importing out of state electricity.

The Ars Technica articles says they have limited capacit to do that as
the only interconnects were fr utilities to source cheapest power.

Old February 19th 21, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

AFAIK, they can't import electricity because they have no interstate grid. That was the whole point. Lone Start state -- a power island. Live free or freeze! Meanwhile, the unwashed Antifa commie hooligans in post-apocalypse Orwelligon are exporting wind power to the rubes and suckers in California.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 19th 21, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

On 2/18/2021 4:38 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I'm glad I live in California since I bought before the Democrats
took over and destroyed the state. Now our idea of a flood is a
heavy thundershower that happens maybe once every couple of years.

Move to Texas! Enjoy the very, very free market! (Bring your own
drinking water and arctic gear.)

Also, bring your own electric power:
https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas
ERCOT: Level 3 Alert - Load shedding is ongoing.
http://www.ercot.com
Looks like Texas is following the California example. They are going
to get a big bill for importing out of state electricity. LMP prices
are in megawatt-hrs.
http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/contours/rtmLmp.html
http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/contours/rtmLmpHg.html

Actually, Texas isn’t going to get a big bill for importing out of state
electricity because they’re physically incapable of importing any tangible
amount of electricity. Peak loads in ERCOT are around 69 GW.
Interconnections into ERCOT have a capability of maybe 1.3 GW, so maybe 2%.
That’s like ****ing into the ocean to stop the ride from going out.

"What Went Wrong With TexasÂ’s Main Electric Grid and Could It Have
Been Prevented?"
https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/what-went-wrong-with-texass-main-electric-grid-and-could-it-have-been-prevented/
So much for the promised land.

Keeping Ice From Melting In A Frozen Water Bottle Bret Cahill[_2_] UK 4 April 5th 12 07:12 AM
Carbon rims melting DirtRoadie Techniques 127 October 31st 10 03:18 AM
I'm melting.. Clive George UK 2 December 9th 08 05:23 PM
Melting Icecaps Tom Kunich Racing 109 September 6th 08 02:08 AM