Near Miss of the Day 545: Tesco driver nearly wipes out cyclist

Old February 20th 21, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Near Miss of the Day 545: Tesco driver nearly wipes out cyclist

Today's close pass footage shows an impatient Tesco driver trying to overtake a rider as they approach a set of traffic lights at the foot of a hill.

The video, captured by Gary, from Dorset, shows him descending in wet conditions.

As he gets close to the traffic lights a Tesco van goes around him before moving back into the left hand lane nearly wiping him out in the process.

Gary, who works at Poole Hospital, was travelling along the B3073 near Wimborne Minster on his way home.

He said: "I didn't want to go and speak to the driver [after], but I knew I had to.

"I approached him very calmly, and tried to get him to see it from my point of view, even informing him I drive vehicles larger than his almost daily.

"My advice to him was simply, wait behind, you can't push people into the kerb just to get to the red light.

"I did that rather than just going on my way because I don't think he had any clue what he was doing was wrong.

"He said to me he was trying to ''get round me before the light, and I had to brake as well'.

"That tells me he thinks he was doing the right thing by overtaking and I should have braked to let him back in.

"The idea that perhaps not overtaking, just to sit at a red traffic light, didn't seem to have entered his mind."

https://road.cc/content/news/tesco-d...s-rider-281075
Old February 20th 21, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_13_]

On 20/02/2021 07:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

That [braking to let him in], of course, is *exactly* what he should
have done. it's all in the Highway Code:

QUOTE:
Rule 168
Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a
steady course and speed, *slowing* *down* if necessary to let the
vehicle pass. *Never* *obstruct* drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up
or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous.
*Drop* *back* to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and
pulls into the gap in front of you.
ENDQUOTE

How much clearer could that be?

But it still seems that some road-users think it doesn't apply to them.

"The idea that perhaps not overtaking, just to sit at a red traffic light, didn't seem to have entered his mind."

https://road.cc/content/news/tesco-d...s-rider-281075

I wonder why compliance with HC Rule 168 never entered the mind of the
complainant?
Old February 21st 21, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 7:03:51 PM UTC, wrote:
Today's close pass footage shows an impatient Tesco driver trying to overtake a rider as they approach a set of traffic lights at the foot of a hill..

The video, captured by Gary, from Dorset, shows him descending in wet conditions.

The victim, Gary, comments on the dangerous pass he
QUOTE:
I'll say my piece here now.

I really really do not want the driver of that van to get into any form of trouble. I don't want him to lose his job, or be forced into another role.

I simply wanted him to be shown the video, so he could gain a better understanding of what he did wrong.

If it's on tescos fb page, well i presume he will see it. It would be beneficial if they called him, just to show him the clip, then in future, perhaps he will wait behind until a more appropriate time.

We can't just have people driving around but not having enough knowledge of cycling and putting innocent people in danger. What if that had been a kid on their way home from school and they had assumed the van driver was turning right? They may have kept their straight on path and been knocked clean off their bike sideways. I only avoided it because I've got experience with MGIF'S.

Why dont we have a cycling and horse section on the driving test?

Question... does a cyclist have to use a shared path and why might they not be using it?

Is there actually a point to overtaking the bicycle, or will you be re overtaken seconds later?

The more people that cycle, the more this is going to happen. We need to get people educated on how to act around cyclists and learn what they've done wrong, in a calm and civil manner. Not go round shouting at eachother and having road rage. That helps nobody.

Or you know, we could just take part of the road away on every major link road and town and city in the land, give it protection from motor traffic and priority over all motor traffic? Then drivers wouldnt even have to contemplate an overtake, theyd be in their own lane, and we'd be in ours.

Or we could make it mandatory for people taking their driving test to watch videos like this?Cyclists!!! - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSROjN1qSCI (link is external)

saying that, when i went for my driving test, one of the staff there was having a discussion with a test taker, as i put my stuff in the locker.. He said'' oh yes i got stuck behind a cyclist on castle lane, he wasnt using the cycle lane''.

Angered, i said to him'' actually theres a very good reason for that- that isnt a cycle lane, its a pavement where you have to stop at every junction, its too bumpy and its got pedestrians walking all over it, its not a cycle lane, its a shared path for slow riders.''

Worrying too, even in a test centre these mis conceptions float....

reply quote

Bungle_52 replied to Gary's bike channel | 164 posts | 3 hours ago
3 likes

I agree with everything you say but I still think nothing would concentrate the mind better than a letter from the police or an offer of a driver awareness course with the alternative being a prosecution. That's why I wouldn't have stopped, I'd have just submitted the footage.

The only other suggestion I have is that cycling should form part of, or be a prerequistite to, the driving test. When I was a kid every one cycled so this was effectively the case. Now most parents think it's too dangerous for their children to cycle. I know many people who cycled during the first lockdown but now won't and for the first time I saw a bike on ebay with the reason for sale given as "too frightened to cycle on the road". If we are going to get more people cycling we need actions not words.
ENDS
(APPLAUSE) - AWARENESS COURSE REQUIRED.

https://road.cc/content/news/tesco-d...s-rider-281075

[...]

Yes, that *cyclist* - with his clear ignorance of the Highway Code's
requirements - especially those of Rule 168 - might *well* *benefit*
from a Highway Code Awareness Course.

[...]

Way to go with that message filter of yours.

Have you copyrighted it yet?

It could be an earner, after all. Perhaps you could add to your pension pot.

[...]

167. DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other
road users. For example
● approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road
● where the road narrows
● when approaching a school crossing patrol
● between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop
● where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works
● when you would force another road user to swerve or slow
down
● at a level crossing
● when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the
signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait
for the signal to be cancelled
● stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a
roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left
● when a tram is standing at a kerbside tram stop and there is
no clearly marked passing lane for other traffic.

[...]

Forgot to say "Please!"
Old February 21st 21, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 7:49:04 PM UTC, colwyn wrote:

[...]

The driver clearly ignored several of those rules.

[...]

No-one has claimed that the driver was behaving totally correctly.

If anyone did that claim that, I haven't seen it.

But the cyclist's own description of the incident *clearly* puts himself
in the wrong (Highway Code Rule 168 refers and is very clear on the
subject).

The cyclist seemed to be under the impression that he did not have to
let the overtaking driver in. That is directly contrary to the
provisions of the Highway Code - as you are no doubt well aware.

Here it is reinstated, for avoidance of all doubt:

QUOTE:
Rule 168
Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a
steady course and speed, *slowing* *down* if necessary to let the
vehicle pass. *Never* *obstruct* drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up
or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous.
*Drop* *back* to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and
pulls into the gap in front of you.
ENDQUOTE

Now... how much clearer could that be?

But it still seems that some road-users think it doesn't apply to them.

Beams and motes. Beams and motes.