Video shows cyclist being knocked down at roundabout

Old February 21st 21, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Video shows cyclist being knocked down at roundabout

At least police are all over this one and have got a strong lead according to this police comment:

Inspector Kevin... replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 7 posts | 18 min ago
1 like

As you can see the VRM of the car isn't legible on this so officers have been looking for other footage and sources to identify it. I spoke to Chris on Friday after someone on his club alerted me to the incident. Its a shocking bit is (SIC) driving and we hope to be speaking to the driver soon.

BEGINS
A shocking video shows the moment a hit and run driver ploughs into a cyclist at a roundabout.

The rider said he still cannot understand how the motorist could just drive away after the high speed collision.

Yorkshire Live spoke to (link is external)Mr Hague, 48, who said: “I was commuting to work, and one minute I was riding normal, the next thing a young lady was picking me up from the road.

“I went into the roundabout and noticed the car on my left, but that’s all I have, to be honest. Unfortunately, I don’t remember anything else.

“I banged up my right elbow, right knee, one my calves. Thankfully it’s just bruises, but I think I was really lucky considering the driver didn’t even stop; they drove right into me.”

"The fact that he didn’t even stop and look up how I’m doing really annoys me. The driver had no interest in my welfare. The video didn’t pick it up, but the car was travelling at a high speed.

“You are not telling me you can’t see or feel a fully grown man on a bike coming in the roundabout. I’m sorry, but that’s just can’t be true.

“I’m really angry, sad and disappointed at the same time. I’m disappointed in the driver, as a human being. One thing is sure that had I done something like that, I [wouldn't have] been able to drive away.”

Mr Hague, an experienced cyclist, added: “There are some near misses every single day, but that’s it.

"I cycle thousands of miles a year, so I know what I’m doing, but car drivers sometimes just don’t pay attention.”

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Police said they were trying to trace the hit-and-run driver.

She said: “Police were called at around 7am on Monday 15 February to reports of a road traffic collision at West Bar Roundabout, Sheffield.

“It is reported that a cyclist was hit by a car, which then failed to stop and continued in the direction of Sheffield Parkway. The cyclist suffered minor injuries in the collision.

“Police are appealing for anyone who may have information about the collision to come forward."

https://road.cc/content/news/cyclist...ndabout-281087
Old February 21st 21, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_13_]

On 21/02/2021 05:37 pm, wrote:

[...]

Hold the front page: road.cc publishes a worthwhile story for a change.

That was a straightforward lack of attention by the driver.

I don't know about "speeding" - I'd estimate his speed at no more than
about 20mph (maybe as little as 15mph), though I dare say it feels more
when it hits you. I expect the driver was looking out for traffic
emerging from the other roads feeding the roundabout (a reasonable thing
to do), and failed to concentrate on the near field.

Leaving the scene is almost certainly what will do for him if he is traced.

White van man sacked after video shows him swerving into cyclist inroad rage clash Bod[_5_] UK 54 May 12th 17 01:20 AM
Bow Roundabout video Bertie Wooster UK 5 November 18th 11 11:28 PM
[Video] Juggling and Unicyling shows giocologgi Unicycling 5 April 3rd 06 02:06 PM
What to do when you are knocked off by another cyclist? David Green UK 12 May 29th 05 12:03 PM
This Video Shows Exactly Why Mountain Biking Is Dangerous! Mr_Kingkillaha Mountain Biking 5 March 17th 05 03:41 PM