Bicycle related YouTube videos

Old February 23rd 21, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Bicycle related YouTube videos

While waiting for the current political discussion to run its course
and die out (Yes, I know I'm part of the problem), I thought it might
be distracting to watch some recent and interesting bicycle related
YouTube videos:

Why Canadians Can't Bike in the Winter (but Finnish people can)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhx-26GfCBU (15:13)
Jan 25, 2021
The authors channel has many interesting bicycle related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/c/NotJustBikes/videos

How Bicycles Caused the Downfall of the British Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMEJgbZfLk (16:30)
Feb 23, 2021
Spoiler: Japanese invasion of Malaya in 1941.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old February 23rd 21, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/23/2021 3:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
While waiting for the current political discussion to run its course
and die out (Yes, I know I'm part of the problem), I thought it might
be distracting to watch some recent and interesting bicycle related
YouTube videos:

Why Canadians Can't Bike in the Winter (but Finnish people can)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhx-26GfCBU (15:13)
Jan 25, 2021
The authors channel has many interesting bicycle related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/c/NotJustBikes/videos

How Bicycles Caused the Downfall of the British Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMEJgbZfLk (16:30)
Feb 23, 2021
Spoiler: Japanese invasion of Malaya in 1941.

Thanks.

I resisted linking the only 'cycling' news I saw today as it
involves a death and a certain fraught personal protection
device. We have enough troubles.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 24th 21, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Andrew. Bad news gets spread so much more widely, and some of need
all the positive motivation we can get to hop on our bikes.

Old February 24th 21, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 16:18:44 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 2/23/2021 3:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
While waiting for the current political discussion to run its course
and die out (Yes, I know I'm part of the problem), I thought it might
be distracting to watch some recent and interesting bicycle related
YouTube videos:

Why Canadians Can't Bike in the Winter (but Finnish people can)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhx-26GfCBU (15:13)
Jan 25, 2021
The authors channel has many interesting bicycle related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/c/NotJustBikes/videos

How Bicycles Caused the Downfall of the British Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMEJgbZfLk (16:30)
Feb 23, 2021
Spoiler: Japanese invasion of Malaya in 1941.

Thanks.

You're always welcome. I've been short on time to read Usenet for
about 2 weeks. Upon my return, I noticed that there was very little
in the way of bicycle related content on rec.bicycles.tech. Unless
you want something on bicycle lighting and electronic gadgets, I can't
offer much in the way of original content. So, I borrowed some recent
additions to YouTube as a substitute. The author of the "Not Just
Bikes" channel seems to be into urban planning, with some emphasis on
planning for bicycle usage. He doesn't appear to have an agenda or
represent an organization, which makes him somewhat unique. The
mechanics, logic, and options available for traffic control have been
a mystery to me. Some of his videos offer enlightenment into those
areas, along with others things I'm not very familiar with (rain,
snow, ice, etc).

I resisted linking the only 'cycling' news I saw today as it
involves a death and a certain fraught personal protection
device. We have enough troubles.

I didn't want to say anything, but you do have the habit of posting
what amounts to bicycle related obituaries and crime reports. While
these might be of interest to some readers, I find them rather
depressing and often not worthy of being called news. It's bad enough
that some newsgroups, forums, and blogs are plagued with well meaning,
but thoroughly misguided individuals intent on informing the
readership of every minute detail on some fashionable topic, such as
Covid-19, election fraud, and their personal problem of the moment.
It's as if they believe that the readers are not sufficiently
competent to find such information without assistance. Cycling will
be much the same with or without these topics. When in doubt, leave
it out.

Old February 24th 21, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/23/2021 9:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 16:18:44 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

I resisted linking the only 'cycling' news I saw today as it
involves a death and a certain fraught personal protection
device. We have enough troubles.

I didn't want to say anything, but you do have the habit of posting
what amounts to bicycle related obituaries and crime reports. While
these might be of interest to some readers, I find them rather
depressing and often not worthy of being called news.

+1

In his defense, it's not just Andrew. Bad news about bicycling seems to
be almost addictive for some bicyclists. That includes this weird little
rag:
https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a2...-how-you-ride/

That's far from a unique article for Buycycling, and as I said in
another discussion: What a strange way to promote bicycling! Do editors
of fishing magazines do repeated articles on fishermen drowning? Does
_Running_ magazine run articles on the number of pedestrian deaths?
(They are far, far more common than bicyclist deaths - 6000+ vs. 850 per
year!) Does _Car & Driver_ harp on 35,000 motorists deaths per year? Do
hunting magazines constantly broadcast tales of accidental gun deaths?

Bicycling is NOT very dangerous. It does us no good to pretend it is.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 24th 21, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/23/2021 4:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
While waiting for the current political discussion to run its course
and die out (Yes, I know I'm part of the problem), I thought it might
be distracting to watch some recent and interesting bicycle related
YouTube videos:

Why Canadians Can't Bike in the Winter (but Finnish people can)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhx-26GfCBU (15:13)
Jan 25, 2021
The authors channel has many interesting bicycle related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/c/NotJustBikes/videos

How Bicycles Caused the Downfall of the British Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMEJgbZfLk (16:30)
Feb 23, 2021
Spoiler: Japanese invasion of Malaya in 1941.

I found the third one very interesting. But while there were other
situations in which the military employed bicycles (e.g. folding bikes
for paratroopers -
https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...ing-bicycles/),
and I've seen examples at the Bicycle Museum of America
http://www.bicyclemuseum.com/bicycle-history/
there must have been many more where the concept failed. I remember
seeing a charming play, _Spokesong_, in which one bike-infatuated hero
returns home from war depressed about one such failure. He said
something like "We never anticipated the mud."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 24th 21, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/23/2021 4:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
While waiting for the current political discussion to run its course
and die out (Yes, I know I'm part of the problem), I thought it might
be distracting to watch some recent and interesting bicycle related
YouTube videos:

Why Canadians Can't Bike in the Winter (but Finnish people can)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhx-26GfCBU (15:13)

There's no shortage of videos claiming the world will be transformed if
we just install segregated bike paths everywhere. That particular
video's a bit unusual in using a town in Finland as an example; most use
Amsterdam or Copenhagen.

As one good friend of mine once told me about a different but similarly
idealistic solution* to a purported bike problem: "Frank, it's so
simple!!" (The solution was made of styrofoam. And she has since changed
her mind.) I believe that most such "simple" solutions are both
simplistic and wrong.

My first question for the author might be "If this is all so obvious,
why have only a few places in the world implemented it?" I believe the
answer is that where segregated bike lanes cause lots of biking, they
are not the cause; they are more of an affect. That is, other influences
have predisposed a large percentage of the citizens toward bicycling.
Those citizens then, effectively, agreed that the local government
should spend unusual amounts of money to make cycling more pleasant.
(Like it or not, building an independent network of segregated and/or
separated bike paths is damned expensive. Plowing it reliably in winter
is a continuing expense. For an American city where perhaps 0.5% of its
citizens ride in winter, that plowing is the first item on the "no
money" chopping block.)

My next question is "Why ignore the places where this has been tried and
has failed?" In Britain, Stevenage and Milton Keynes are famous for
having separate path networks that reach all parts of town,
purpose-built when the towns were founded. Their bike mode shares are
less than one seventh that of Oulu, despite much better climate.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...pped-stevenage
That makes the video's claim at 12:14 false: "It's a proven fact that
people of all ages will ride a bicycle in the winter, but only if the
city's designed for it." Maybe some people will, but that number is more
likely to be very small. Other factors will likely prevent mass cycling,
and the most important may be simple fashion. (IIRC, even Portland's
bike mode share has dropped in recent years.)

BTW, at https://youtu.be/Uhx-26GfCBU?t=606 the speaker touts
Yellowknife's impressive bike infrastructure. Gosh, you can ride for
dozens of feet before the bike path runs into a curb!

Someone said the key to happiness is low expectations. The corollary is
"Any bike facility is a good bike facility." But I don't buy that.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 24th 21, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 22:43:02 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Of course it is not dangerious, in fact it is so safe that it is
almost ludicrous to talk about "bicycle deaths" After all there are
more than 500,000 deaths ascribed to the Virus and we are assured that
this is a meaningless number so a mere 800 or so deaths annually is
certainly not even worth mentioning.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 24th 21, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 22:51:21 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Bicycle mounted troops date back to, at least, the end of the 19th
century when both the British and French experimented with bicycle
mounted infantry. In fact the French even developed a folding bicycle
and by 1900 each French line infantry and chasseur battalion had a
cyclist detachment, intended for skirmishing, scouting and dispatch
carrying.

The first U.S. Army bicycle troops seem to be the 25th United States
Infantry. Using a variety of cycle models, they carried out extensive
bicycle journeys covering between 800 and 1,900 miles In 1896 the
Unit, stationed in Montana rode bicycles across roadless landscapes
for hundreds of miles at high speed. The "wheelmen" traveled the 1,900
Miles to St. Louis Missouri in 40 days with an average speed of over 6
mph.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 24th 21, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

wrote:

Do
hunting magazines constantly broadcast tales of accidental gun deaths?

It would be more to the point to broadcast tales of falling out of
tree stands -- that's the most-common way to be injured while hunting.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Fake Youtube videos Mike Collins UK 1 June 15th 20 09:14 AM
Fake Youtube videos Mike Collins UK 94 May 26th 20 06:31 PM
Some high quality recumbent trike videos on YouTube Anton Berlin Racing 1 November 28th 10 06:58 PM
Some high quality recumbent trike videos on YouTube Phil H Racing 0 November 27th 10 03:15 PM
Cycling doctor gets death threats after posting videos of crapdriving on Youtube. spindrift UK 29 March 27th 08 03:24 PM