Tufo sealant - liquid latex ala Stans?

Old October 22nd 05, 11:51 PM
andy

Default Tufo sealant - liquid latex ala Stans?

I was wondering if the sealant that Tufo sells is diluted liquid latex
similar to Stan's Tubeless sealant? All I know is it looks white in color
and the price makes Stan's look like a bargain. I know you can pick this up
at hobby stores and cut it w/ water or windshield washer fluid( to help
avoid freezing) and it works just like Stan's. Just wondered if I should
shoot some into my tubie CX tires for those *@# goatheads!
Thanx in advance.
Andy

Old October 23rd 05, 01:22 AM
Jim Bianchi

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:51:15 -0600, andy wrote:
I was wondering if the sealant that Tufo sells is diluted liquid latex
similar to Stan's Tubeless sealant? All I know is it looks white in color
and the price makes Stan's look like a bargain. I know you can pick this up
at hobby stores and cut it w/ water or windshield washer fluid( to help
avoid freezing) and it works just like Stan's. Just wondered if I should
shoot some into my tubie CX tires for those *@# goatheads!

I'm not any kind of expert on this so cannot answer your question.
However, I once investigated the subject and found that the (then) popularly
available aerosol flat fix thingies were intended for use on autmobiles. In
other words, they'd fill up an auto tyre, and the liquid latex goop would,
under the centrifugal force of being driven, spread over the inside of the
tube, where the heat generated by the tyre being used would cause it to
harden (hopefully sealing off a small hole). While some hard bicycle riding
would generate sufficient centrifugal force, I rather doubt there'd be
enough heat generated to properly finish the sealing process. Thus these
always seemed like a Good Thing to carry in a pack for emergency use, but
not to depend on the results over a long term (my old power wheelchair had
chintzy tube tyres made in China from recycled fish by-products and I ended
up using a LOT of this sealant).

Note: this is about the automotive aerosol latex sealant. I've no
idea about the kinds intended for bicycle use. The message here seems to be
to not confuse the two types.

--

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Old October 23rd 05, 02:00 AM

Oddly enough, I was injecting some tufo sealant into a set of Vittoria
tubies today, and in the process, managed to squirt a few cc's all over
the kitchen. The tufo sealant smells like Jevelot Tire Life, which is
latex dissolved in ammonia. The sealant and the Tire Life both work OK;
they just smell bad.
I used some Tire Life to fill in a puncture site on a clincher tire -
boot on the inside, new rubber on the outside. The excess latex rubs
off easily, and the puncture is covered nicely. It probably won't last
long; I thought I should try it, though.