Cyclist Fined for Riding on Road in the UK

Old August 10th 06, 12:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
petulance

Default Cyclist Fined for Riding on Road in the UK

http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=24246

Old August 10th 06, 01:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

"petulance" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=24246

So I guess he would rather I pass pedestrians at 45 km/h than ride on the
road when I am out on a training ride :S

Old August 10th 06, 01:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
daveL

petulance wrote:
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=24246

Barking.

By that reasoning, pedestrians should be required to cross roads and use
footpaths where provided, rather than shared paths because they might
inconvenience cyclists.

--
daveL
Old August 10th 06, 02:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
persia

petulance wrote:
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=24246

Well that cr*p has got to be stamped out straight off!

That howling sound you can hear is Euan's turbines warming up.....

Persia

Old August 10th 06, 02:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dechucka

"petulance" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=24246

wonder why he was stopped by the cops?

Old August 10th 06, 02:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB

Local commentry he http://www.cyclingforums.com/t358331.html

--
EuanB

Old August 10th 06, 03:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"petulance" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=24246

Hmmm... The pic shows a reasonable shoulder which should allow plenty of
room for both bikes and cars yet - "The police had claimed that the position
Cadden had taken in the centre of his lane forced cars to cross the solid
white line in the centre of the road illegally in order to overtake."

Maybe he was just being a road hog when there were other options?

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old August 10th 06, 03:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2006-08-10, OzCableguy (aka Bruce)

"petulance" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=24246

Hmmm... The pic shows a reasonable shoulder which should allow plenty of
room for both bikes and cars yet - "The police had claimed that the position
Cadden had taken in the centre of his lane forced cars to cross the solid
white line in the centre of the road illegally in order to overtake."

You call that a reasonable shoulder? I call it approximately 0.5m too
narrow. Also, the photo doesn't clearly display the condition of the
shoulder -- just how ridable it is in reality, and not in a 160x116
pixel jpeg.

Note also that article does not explictly mention that the photo is of
the road in question, nor whether it is the spot the cyclist was fined
-- it looks uphill to me, whereas he was fined on a fast downhill.

And then finally, the various articles on this issue all mention he
was approaching a roundabout.

You're either an idiot, or you are prepared to stop and yield until
there is absolutely no traffic, if you approach roundabouts on the
shoulder, because otherwise you are very likely to be taken out by a
driver left hooking in front of you. Heck, if you are turning right
on a two lane roundabout, it's best to be in the right lane if at all
possible (it may not be legal -- that's iffy -- but I sure as hell
prefer to take my safety in my own hands rather than relying on
absolutely satisfying all requirements of the letter of the law).

Maybe he was just being a road hog when there were other options?

I doubt it. Not everyone is a gutter bunny, you know.

--
TimC
My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 cents a can.
Old August 10th 06, 04:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dechucka

"dechucka" wrote in message

"petulance" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=24246

wonder why he was stopped by the cops?

sorry

and I should say good that he was fined, people like this give bike riders
a bad name

Old August 10th 06, 04:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

persia Wrote:
petulance wrote:
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=24246

Well that cr*p has got to be stamped out straight off!

That howling sound you can hear is Euan's turbines warming up.....

Posted this information yesterday + CTC press release to the 'BFA-oz'
(http://lists.topica.com/lists/bfa-oz) & 'Wheels of Justice'
'Bicycle Federation of Australia' (http://www.bfa.asn.au/) and all the
other revelant org's who lurk on that email list now know about it. Now
we have to all keep an eye on how Daniel's case proceeds.

CTC media thingy here (Word doc)
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3961

Been assured that at the next Australia Bicycle Council meeting (the
'other' ABC) that there's a possible ammendment planned that will make
stop any similar court cases here in Australia.

Quote from email received from Jeff Ibbotson:

" .. closest the Aust Road Rules appear to come to the UK rule on
using
a cycle path is the requirement to use a designed bicycle lane if the
road has one – rule 247. But also be aware of the rules about
unreasonably obstructing the path of another driver (125) and not
causing a traffic hazard by moving into the path of a driver (253) .."

You can cross check that here in the AustRoads reg's. (Warning, 413
pages!)
http://www.woj.com.au/AustRoadRulespts1-21.pdf

--
cfsmtb

Cyclist jailed for road rage attack graham UK 24 March 5th 06 07:23 PM
Cyclist attacked in road rage incident. [email protected] UK 40 November 6th 05 09:09 PM
Mail on Sunday andy w UK 92 October 27th 03 12:42 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
PA riders: Easton to Philly? Hal Rides 0 July 18th 03 03:53 PM