Bottle cage material

Old August 20th 13, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_7_]

Default Bottle cage material

A metal cage 'should' only take a plastic bottle whilst a plastic one
can take a metal or a plastic one. Plastic 'should not' undergo any
major property changes at the temps most bottle cages are subjected to.
Why then are metal ones made?
Old August 20th 13, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 08:14:51 +0100
soup wrote:

A metal cage 'should' only take a plastic bottle whilst a plastic one
can take a metal or a plastic one. Plastic 'should not' undergo any
major property changes at the temps most bottle cages are subjected
to. Why then are metal ones made?

Why are metal whats made?

Old August 20th 13, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

A metal cage 'should' only take a plastic bottle whilst a plastic one
can take a metal or a plastic one. Plastic 'should not' undergo any
major property changes at the temps most bottle cages are subjected to.
Why then are metal ones made?

I have some carbon fibre bottle cages, for no other reason than I like
Bike Bling.
Old August 20th 13, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_7_]

Rob Morley wrote:

Why are metal whats made?

See subject header on OP.

Old August 20th 13, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 20/08/2013 08:14, soup wrote:
A metal cage 'should' only take a plastic bottle whilst a plastic one
can take a metal or a plastic one. Plastic 'should not' undergo any
major property changes at the temps most bottle cages are subjected to.
Why then are metal ones made?

I prefer to use the fridge.
Old August 20th 13, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 08:14:51 UTC+1, soup wrote:
A metal cage 'should' only take a plastic bottle whilst a plastic one

can take a metal or a plastic one. Plastic 'should not' undergo any

major property changes at the temps most bottle cages are subjected to.

Why then are metal ones made?

Well, all those I have chosen will take a beer bottle. I don't care what the cage is as long as it holds over cobbles if necessary (it sometimes is). I use a tapered cork (from homebrew shop) to stop the the bottles contents, particularly when on the downtube, from sloshing out. A bit of foam rubber may help the wire cages to hold a glass bottle. I like the cheapo plastic cages and an elastic band can help over the glass bottles shoulder.
Old August 20th 13, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 08:14:51 UTC+1, soup wrote:
A metal cage 'should' only take a plastic bottle whilst a plastic one

can take a metal or a plastic one. Plastic 'should not' undergo any

major property changes at the temps most bottle cages are subjected to.

Why then are metal ones made?

Oh yes, the question.

"Metal ones" are made to sell. There's a market for them and any existing manufacturer or supplier would be foolish to cease trading this, what may be, emotional purchase.