handlebar corrosion under tape

Old March 28th 05, 12:46 AM
Kyle.B.H.

Default handlebar corrosion under tape

Upon stripping two layers of tape (cotton outer, fake cork inner) from
my wife's handlebars, I saw the following:

http://www.hollasch.com/bars/bars.htm

Serious corrosion of the surface of the Profile AL bars. As you can
see, underneath the electrical tape, there was no corrosion.

She doesn't wear gloves, so I'm guessing that salt is the culprit.
Could plain old moisture and wetness do this as well?

I've already decided to replace the bars, as I'm concerned with any loss
of structural integrity, so my question is - how do I prevent this from
happening again? I'm thinking of wrapping the entire bar (underneath
the tape) with electrical tape, as that seemed to be an effective barrier.

Thanks,

Kyle
Old March 28th 05, 07:23 AM
Derek Hodges

Kyle.B.H. wrote:
Upon stripping two layers of tape (cotton outer, fake cork inner) from
my wife's handlebars, I saw the following:

http://www.hollasch.com/bars/bars.htm

Serious corrosion of the surface of the Profile AL bars. As you can
see, underneath the electrical tape, there was no corrosion.

She doesn't wear gloves, so I'm guessing that salt is the culprit. Could
plain old moisture and wetness do this as well?

I've already decided to replace the bars, as I'm concerned with any loss
of structural integrity, so my question is - how do I prevent this from
happening again? I'm thinking of wrapping the entire bar (underneath
the tape) with electrical tape, as that seemed to be an effective barrier.

Thanks,

Kyle

My approach would be to remove, clean under, and replace the tape every
so often. Something to do on those cold Canadian winter and (early
spring) nights.

Derek Hodges
Old March 29th 05, 06:11 AM
jim beam

Kyle.B.H. wrote:
Upon stripping two layers of tape (cotton outer, fake cork inner) from
my wife's handlebars, I saw the following:

http://www.hollasch.com/bars/bars.htm

Serious corrosion of the surface of the Profile AL bars. As you can
see, underneath the electrical tape, there was no corrosion.

She doesn't wear gloves, so I'm guessing that salt is the culprit. Could
plain old moisture and wetness do this as well?

I've already decided to replace the bars, as I'm concerned with any loss
of structural integrity, so my question is - how do I prevent this from
happening again? I'm thinking of wrapping the entire bar (underneath
the tape) with electrical tape, as that seemed to be an effective barrier.

Thanks,

Kyle

those are cheap bars - look for something more expensive with better
anodizing. and change the tape periodiacally too. /don't/ keep using
those bars - corrosion in aluminum frequently leads to fatigue or other
cracking.

Old March 29th 05, 06:08 PM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:46:29 -0500, "Kyle.B.H."
wrote:

Upon stripping two layers of tape (cotton outer, fake cork inner) from
my wife's handlebars, I saw the following:

http://www.hollasch.com/bars/bars.htm

Serious corrosion of the surface of the Profile AL bars. As you can
see, underneath the electrical tape, there was no corrosion.

She doesn't wear gloves, so I'm guessing that salt is the culprit.
Could plain old moisture and wetness do this as well?

I've already decided to replace the bars, as I'm concerned with any loss
of structural integrity, so my question is - how do I prevent this from
happening again? I'm thinking of wrapping the entire bar (underneath
the tape) with electrical tape, as that seemed to be an effective barrier.

A layer of electrical tape would likely be effective. A good coat of
varnish might do just as well. Using both would not, in my opinion,
be a mistake in my opinion, though it's likely to be overkill.

That said, I have my doubts about the seriousness of the strength
reduction resulting from the surface corrosion seen in the photo.
Cleaning the bars with ammonia would allow you to see how deep the
pitting is, if any is present.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old March 29th 05, 06:42 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:08:33 GMT, Werehatrack
wrote:

... Using both would not, in my opinion,
be a mistake in my opinion, though it's likely to be overkill.

Yeesh. I can only plead excessive lood in the caffiene stream.

I will not brew decaf. Decaf is the mind-killer. Decaf brings the
little sleep that leads to total oblivion. I will embrace my
caffiene. I will let it flow through me, and when it is gone, only I
will remain alert.

[with apologies to Frank Herbert]
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Cross over handlebar tape wrapping MSeries UK 10 January 6th 05 10:50 PM
Fatigue, Corrosion, and Tape. waxbytes Techniques 0 November 11th 04 09:05 PM
Flashlight Handlebar Mount NLee1875 Techniques 2 October 3rd 04 11:00 AM
long handlebar tape? Steve Watkin UK 3 August 9th 04 09:44 PM
WTB Pink handlebar tape Morgan Fletcher Marketplace 1 May 24th 04 03:39 AM