Muc-Off warning

Old March 27th 05, 04:48 PM
Richard Bates

Default Muc-Off warning

Don't spray Mucoff on your frame and then distract yourself with
another task. It *WILL* eat the top layer of paint/lacquer/whatever on
your beloved bicycle if left on for ten minutes or so.

Fortunately, it was only my going-to-work bike.

--
Microsoft Sam speaks his mind:
www.artybee.net/sam_speaks_his_mind.mp3
Old March 27th 05, 04:58 PM
Arthur Clune

Richard Bates wrote:
: Don't spray Mucoff on your frame and then distract yourself with
: another task. It *WILL* eat the top layer of paint/lacquer/whatever on
: your beloved bicycle if left on for ten minutes or so.

Ah. THat's why yor want a Ti frame.

(smug grin)

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes
Old March 27th 05, 05:13 PM
Roger

"Richard Bates" wrote in message
Don't spray Mucoff on your frame and then distract yourself with
another task. It *WILL* eat the top layer of paint/lacquer/whatever on
your beloved bicycle if left on for ten minutes or so.

Fortunately, it was only my going-to-work bike.

Unfortunately I can say the same thing about blue stencil marking liquid
from bikeregister.com, completely wiped the top coat of paint of my £2500
Kona Coiler Primo within 30 seconds or so. I managed to cover the mess with
one of the bikeregister.com metallic stickers and I don't think Alu is
effected by water anyway so I don't need to worry if it rains.

Old March 27th 05, 08:42 PM
Sam Salt

"Richard Bates" wrote in message
Don't spray Mucoff on your frame and then distract yourself with
another task. It *WILL* eat the top layer of paint/lacquer/whatever on
your beloved bicycle if left on for ten minutes or so.

Fortunately, it was only my going-to-work bike.

--
Microsoft Sam speaks his mind:
www.artybee.net/sam_speaks_his_mind.mp3

I always water Muc-Off down half and half with water.Goes further,does just
as good a job and I haven't noticed any paintwork degredation.

Sam Salt

Old March 27th 05, 10:42 PM
Eatmorepies

"Richard Bates" wrote in message
Don't spray Mucoff on your frame and then distract yourself with
another task. It *WILL* eat the top layer of paint/lacquer/whatever on
your beloved bicycle if left on for ten minutes or so.

It's an excellent product but I can see that it could do something like
that. I used some traffic film remover a friend in the fire brigade gave me.
It dissolved the surface of the rubber bellows on the front forks of my BMW
motorbike.

Since then I have always diluted such products. I spray my bike with water,
then brush MucOff over it. After a couple of minutes I rinse the bike off -
I find it works well. I buy mine from Nelson's Cycles near Abergavenny, it's
about 65% the price that Halfords charge.

John

Old March 27th 05, 11:10 PM
Tony Raven

Richard Bates wrote:
Don't spray Mucoff on your frame and then distract yourself with
another task. It *WILL* eat the top layer of paint/lacquer/whatever on
your beloved bicycle if left on for ten minutes or so.

Fortunately, it was only my going-to-work bike.

It will also eat the anodising on aluminium if you leave it on - if you
have anodised parts on the bike wash it off quickly or the colour will
fade quite quickly.

Tony
Old March 27th 05, 11:54 PM
spencer bullen

"Roger" wrote in message

"I don't think Alu is effected by water anyway so I don't need to worry if
it rains."

Aluminium is affected by water, and will oxidise. The reason people think
it isn't is that aluminium oxide is not very water soluable, unlike rust.
However, it is softer, will flake off, expose un-oxidised aluminium, etc.
If you have had the paint/lacquer scraped, please don't ignore it, and try a
bit of touch up paint. For small scratches a good nail varnish isn't too
bad.

T.T.F.N.

SPENNY

Old March 28th 05, 01:28 AM
Tom Anderson

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Richard Bates wrote:

Don't spray Mucoff on your frame and then distract yourself with another
task. It *WILL* eat the top layer of paint/lacquer/whatever on your
beloved bicycle if left on for ten minutes or so.

And don't, if you've leant your bike against a garden chair to spray it,
neglect to hose the garden chair down as well - Muc-Off'll have that, too.
******* powerful stuff!

tom

--
an optical recording release. copyright digitally mastered. .,

Old March 28th 05, 10:24 AM
Roger

"spencer bullen" wrote in message
k...

"Roger" wrote in message

"I don't think Alu is effected by water anyway so I don't need to worry
if
it rains."

Aluminium is affected by water, and will oxidise. The reason people think
it isn't is that aluminium oxide is not very water soluable, unlike rust.
However, it is softer, will flake off, expose un-oxidised aluminium, etc.
If you have had the paint/lacquer scraped, please don't ignore it, and try
bit of touch up paint. For small scratches a good nail varnish isn't too
bad.

Well I've stuck a metallic sticker over the spot the paint has come off, I
could always try and find some white or clear nail varnish if the sticker
comes lose. It would have been better if the stencil was made of cardboard
or plastic rather than toilet tissue then at least I'd still have a readable
identity sign even though it would be bare Alu rather than the useless
smudged mess I'm covering now.

severe weather warning joemarshall Unicycling 15 January 14th 05 06:41 AM
Weather warning ... elyob UK 11 January 5th 05 12:54 AM
Universe 2 Needs a warning label Jayne ZA Unicycling 2 September 4th 04 09:27 PM
The Best Bicycle Warning Device Steve McDonald General 16 November 13th 03 10:06 PM
Warning - watch out buying an MTB on eBay (LONG)! iddqdATworldonline.dk UK 5 July 25th 03 12:47 AM