Thanks for all of the info

Old March 7th 06, 02:48 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Thanks for all of the info

Similar to NYC XYZ, I was told by the doc that I have a couple bulging disks
in my back, and that a recumbent would be the way to go. I sold all 3 of my
df bikes, and began lurking here in hopes of learning something about
recumbents, and have come away with a great deal of paper knowledge.
Ironically, I also followed the same path as him in terms of what I was
looking for, and started researching the HP Velotechnik offerings. Luckily,
we have a couple great recumbent shops in Chicago, so I was able to ride a
few different brands (other than HP), and I was really amazed at the marked
difference that exists between different models. DF bicycle all have
different characteristics of course, but I was quite surprised at the night
and day differences between the different models of recumbent bikes.
What this all led me to realize was that I really wanted a trike. As far as
real/imagined saftey issues, I really don't plan on riding it that much on
city streets (a mile to/from the lake) as much as I do on the paths and out
on Country roads, and I can't complain about the incredible support it gives
as far as my back is concerned. I tried a few of those as well, Wizwheels,
Catrikes, and finally the Scorpion. Butter.
Now my only challenge is figuring out where to store my new 74" long, 34"
wide Scorpion, while living in a Condo... I will hopefully be able to
supply some info to the group about that trike over the coming weeks and
months, as I hopefully put buckets of mileage on it. Anyway, thanks again
for asking, and then answering all of my questions before I needed to ask
them!

CM

Old March 7th 06, 03:33 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"CM" wrote in message
snip

. I tried a few of those as well, Wizwheels, Catrikes, and finally the
Scorpion. Butter.
snip CM

Sounds like a great choice. I have a HP Velo Speedmachine: butta'. If a
green Earth Cycles Sunset didn't latch onto my wallet first, I would have
bid on the RCN test Scorpion that Bob Bryant just to sold to some deserving
soul. Trails can be rougher than streets.

Old March 7th 06, 12:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

I saw that last Thursday on BROL at $2695.00, and sent him an e-mail right
away, but he had just sold it...
Probably better in my case since I hadn't test ridden one at that point; at
least that's what I'm telling myself to smooth over the $1500.00 difference
in price between what he was selling his for and what I would have paid to
get the same machine at the dealer. I also got to meet a few of the regulars
up at the shop where I bought it, and they seem like pretty easy going guys,
so all-in-all I can't complain that much.

"gotbent" wrote in message

"CM" wrote in message
snip

. I tried a few of those as well, Wizwheels, Catrikes, and finally the
Scorpion. Butter.
snip CM

Sounds like a great choice. I have a HP Velo Speedmachine: butta'. If a
green Earth Cycles Sunset didn't latch onto my wallet first, I would have
bid on the RCN test Scorpion that Bob Bryant just to sold to some
deserving soul. Trails can be rougher than streets.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old March 7th 06, 04:43 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"CM" wrote in message
I saw that last Thursday on BROL at $2695.00, and sent him an e-mail right
away, but he had just sold it...
Probably better in my case since I hadn't test ridden one at that point;
at least that's what I'm telling myself to smooth over the $1500.00
difference in price between what he was selling his for and what I would
have paid to get the same machine at the dealer. I also got to meet a few
of the regulars up at the shop where I bought it, and they seem like
pretty easy going guys, so all-in-all I can't complain that much.

It's alright to name names. Did you buy the Scorpion from Amlings? They
always have a nice bunch of demo bents at the HPRA races in Northbrook every
summer.

"gotbent" wrote in message

snip

Old March 7th 06, 11:26 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"oldslowbenter" no@publicemailaccepted wrote in message

"CM" wrote in message
I saw that last Thursday on BROL at $2695.00, and sent him an e-mail right
away, but he had just sold it...
Probably better in my case since I hadn't test ridden one at that point;
at least that's what I'm telling myself to smooth over the $1500.00
difference in price between what he was selling his for and what I would
have paid to get the same machine at the dealer. I also got to meet a few
of the regulars up at the shop where I bought it, and they seem like
pretty easy going guys, so all-in-all I can't complain that much.

It's alright to name names. Did you buy the Scorpion from Amlings? They
always have a nice bunch of demo bents at the HPRA races in Northbrook
every summer.

Yep. Hit Amling's door at 9:59 as they were opening and was out on the
street behind them shortly thereafter. I had Joe remove the rear rack
(scratched) and the fenders, so I had a bit of time to talk with the folks
who were picking up bikes, or just hanging out. If I were a bit closer to
Amlings, I could easily see myself spending too much time holding the
counter in place with my elbows and talking to the folks there. Rapid
Transit is closer and also had very good people, but after trying the
Scorpion, it was not much of a contest, comfort-wise.

I'm already getting grief from my old riding buddies (all mtb-ers or
serious roadies) about having a bike that can, in their words, have a snack
tray on the back of it, but I'm pretty sure I'll have a hard time prying it
out from under them when they take it out for a ride.

"gotbent" wrote in message

snip

Old March 10th 06, 05:37 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

CM wrote:
Now my only challenge is figuring out where to store my new 74" long, 34"
wide Scorpion, while living in a Condo...

Park it in the middle of the floor and call it furniture.

The more difficult part will be getting in and out of the building,
unless you have a ground floor private entrance.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Old March 10th 06, 04:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
ups.com...

gotbent wrote:

Sounds like a great choice. I have a HP Velo Speedmachine: butta'. If a
green Earth Cycles Sunset didn't latch onto my wallet first,

Heck, that is only one (1) Sunset!

I would have
bid on the RCN test Scorpion that Bob Bryant just to sold to some
deserving
soul. Trails can be rougher than streets.

Ride the west bank Fox River Trail from Wilson to Fabyan at high speed.

They seemed to have smoothed it out quite a bit between when I used to ride
it on the V-Rex and noiw when I ride the Speedmachine.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain
Red and Purple Sunsets, Blue Dragonflyer

Oregon day rides & rental, need info [email protected] Recumbent Biking 7 March 3rd 05 08:16 PM
DiamondBack road frame info Johhny Two Pedals Techniques 1 January 25th 05 06:38 AM
Junior racing info? Trailgalore Racing 6 December 24th 04 12:05 AM
RR Fall on the water small change Mountain Biking 0 November 5th 04 03:10 AM
MUni Militia T-shirt ordering info! mmm...Uni Unicycling 26 May 6th 04 04:34 PM