Retail Performance Stores asking for customer name.

Old August 26th 03, 01:56 PM
Mark Hickey

Default Retail Performance Stores asking for customer name.

(Hunrobe) wrote:

So exactly why would anyone that:

1- is a "security expert" and
2- "know(s) what can happen with insecurities (?) and information theft" and
3- doesn't want to even give their *name only* to a retailer when there is a
valid customer service issue involved

even *have* a personal webpage under their real name? You say it hasn't been
updated in over five years. If you're a security expert then you know that
outdated personal info is actually a great tool to find people.

There's really only one answer possible. He's a troll. In another
thread he claimed to carry only a passport for ID so he wouldn't get
points on his license when he gets pulled over by the police. Now
THERE'S something we all have to worry about at least as much as
giving our name to a bike shop. Wonder what he does to avoid black
helicopters or getting hit by meteors? ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old August 26th 03, 04:33 PM
Paul Bielec

When I bought my bike at my LBS, I did give all the information. This way,
when I showed up to fix something under the warranty, I didn't have to
bother looking for my receipt.

"Sam Yorko" wrote in message
Went in to my local Performance to buy a Topeak Mountain Morph pump
(they're on sale). At the cash register, they demanded my name to
complete the purchase. Only after I almost walked out did they relent
on the demand.

The excuse offered: in case I lost the receipt, they could look up the
transaction if I wanted to return my purchase.

Well, OK, that's the story being offered to the customers. And, even
believing for the moment that that is the only reason for getting the
customer name, that doesn't preclude some marketing dweeb within
Performance in the future deciding that there is all this nice customer
data just sitting around, and it's time to mine it for marketing
purposes.

No thanks.

Sam

Old August 26th 03, 06:39 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

When I bought my bike at my LBS, I did give all the information. This way,
when I showed up to fix something under the warranty, I didn't have to
bother looking for my receipt.

Legally, the shop has no choice but to obtain contact information from you,
as it is *their* responsibility to contact the customer in the event of a
recall. Having gone through that a couple of times (for suspension forks),
let me assure you that it's not a whole lot of fun!

Having said that, you can, and perhaps should, request that absolutely
positively your name doesn't get used for marketing purposes. We decline
marketing "partnerships" all the time that involve the use of our customers'
data.

At some point, it becomes an issue of trust. Sam doesn't trust Performance,
or apparently anybody else, with even his name. That's fine, people are
free to do as they wish, but it also greatly devalues any relationship that
*I* have with *my* customers. I'd rather not live in a world where they
thought I was out to get them or sell their names etc... I'd prefer to think
that my customers appreciate that I keep track of things for them, and can
more efficiently deal with repairs etc., and that I'm doing them a favor,
not something nasty.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 28th 03, 04:04 AM
Pete Hickey

In article m,
Mike Kruger wrote:

At places where I find this obnoxious, I used to give my name as
Bill Clinton
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 90210

Isn't it a federal offense to impersonate a president?

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 85% of North Americans cannot
taste the difference between fried dog and fried cat?

Old August 28th 03, 04:11 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 03:04:21 GMT,
,
(Pete Hickey) wrote:

Isn't it a federal offense to impersonate a president?

Not if you're the former governor of Texas.
--
zk
Old August 28th 03, 07:51 PM
M Gagnon

"Zoot Katz" a écrit "

At worst, just tell them "Cash".

That's what I say and if they get lippy or look perturbed, I tell 'em,
"Jay, Jay Cash". ......

I used to use "Elvis" when waiting for a table. I started doing it in
Montreal where the Francophones regularly slaughtered my name into
some unrecognisable forms. "Elvis" made it easy for both of us.

If Zoot Katz bears any resemblance with your real name, I see all kind of
funny possibilities in French....

Michel

Old August 28th 03, 09:15 PM
Paul Bielec

If Zoot Katz bears any resemblance with your real name, I see all kind of
funny possibilities in French....

such as...

Old August 29th 03, 04:23 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:15:31 -0400, ,
"Paul Bielec" wrote:

If Zoot Katz bears any resemblance with your real name, I see all kind of
funny possibilities in French....

such as...

Actually it's, "Zut! . . .cats", like you stepped barefoot onto a
hairball. Sorta moitié French et half Anglais.
--
zk
Old August 30th 03, 04:50 AM
Mike Kruger

"Pete Hickey" wrote in message
In article m,
Mike Kruger wrote:

At places where I find this obnoxious, I used to give my name as
Bill Clinton
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 90210

Isn't it a federal offense to impersonate a president?

Uses like this are covered under the same "satire" provisions that allow
comedians on Saturday Night Live to impersonate the president. I'm clearly
not ACTUALLY pretending to be the president (note the zip code is the zip
code for Beverly Hills, California -- well known because of the TV show
"Beverly Hills 90210". The phone number was the number for "information").

If I actually charged merchandise to the president (or, to anyone else!),
that would be another matter.

A "google" search on Clinton Impersonator turned up 5810 entries(*),
including some like this:
http://www.counterfeitbill.com/cb.html
and a page with photos of ten different Clinton impersonators:
http://www.internationalcelebrityima...illClinton.htm
along with Hillary impersonators like:
http://www.hillarylookalike.com/

If someone wants to contend that American presidents as a whole have been
better at providing comedy material than leadership over the past, say, 35
years I'd say it "wouldn't be prudent" to agree.

(*) A Google search on "Elvis Impersonator" turns up "about 39,000" entries.
A Google search on "Eisenhower Impersonator" turns up 500 entries, but most
aren't really Eisenhower impersonators, just the words "Eisenhower" and
"Impersonator" showing up on the same web page. In fact one site
http://www.entertainmentforhire.com/...Eisenhower.htm
notes "Online talent for Dwight Eisenhower is currently under consideration
and will be added shortly. Click hereto be notified when a Dwight Eisenhower
impersonator has been added.
If you're a celebrity impersonator who performs as Dwight Eisenhower, click
on the mask below to email us immediatly!"(sic)

You may draw your own conclusions about American popular culture from these
numbers.

Old August 30th 03, 08:25 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"M Gagnon" writes:

After all, it shouldn't take more time
to pay then it takes to find the product on the shelves.

You've just reminded me of the times I've been stuck in
line-ups behind customers whom insist upon paying for
every little thing with their debit card. And then
nervously forgetting their PIN, and punching guess after
guess into the handheld keypad.

cheers,
Tom