Frame Kit vs. Basic Model?

Old February 23rd 06, 05:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Frame Kit vs. Basic Model?

Say, what's a framekit, exactly, compared to a basic model?

For the SMGTe, the description sounds almost the same, but with an
US$650 difference??

http://hpvelotechnik.com/shopping/preisliste13_e.html

Since I'm upgrading to hydraulic disc brakes, an air shock, etc., why
not just get a framekit?

And if I get the basic bike but upgrade anyway, right there and then,
should I expect to get my standard factory parts as well? I mean, the
basic model comes with V-brakes...I guess I should get them all the
same, right, only not installed on the bike, of course, since I'm
upgrading to the hydro-discs....

Old February 23rd 06, 06:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

NYC XYZ wrote:
Say, what's a framekit, exactly, compared to a basic model?

For the SMGTe, the description sounds almost the same, but with an
US$650 difference??

http://hpvelotechnik.com/shopping/preisliste13_e.html

Since I'm upgrading to hydraulic disc brakes, an air shock, etc., why
not just get a framekit?

And if I get the basic bike but upgrade anyway, right there and then,
should I expect to get my standard factory parts as well? I mean, the
basic model comes with V-brakes...I guess I should get them all the
same, right, only not installed on the bike, of course, since I'm
upgrading to the hydro-discs....

Why don't you ask tham rather than annoy Usenetizens?

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old February 23rd 06, 06:58 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On 23 Feb 2006 09:16:56 -0800, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

Say, what's a framekit, exactly, compared to a basic model?

A lot less than a complete bike, both in terms of money and what's
present.

For the SMGTe, the description sounds almost the same, but with an
US$650 difference??

http://hpvelotechnik.com/shopping/preisliste13_e.html

Nothing that isn't mentioned is included; at the very least, there are
no shifters, ders, wheels, or brakes. Buying those components new
would likely set you back more than $650 for equivalent kit at retail.

Since I'm upgrading to hydraulic disc brakes, an air shock, etc., why
not just get a framekit?

Ders and shifters at a minimum, perhaps?

And if I get the basic bike but upgrade anyway, right there and then,
should I expect to get my standard factory parts as well?

No. The upgrades are explicitly priced as *upgrades* to a complete
bike. They are most decidedly not a la carte parts to pick and choose
separately. The upgrade prices represent the *difference* in price
between the standard and upgraded kit.

I mean, the
basic model comes with V-brakes...I guess I should get them all the
same, right, only not installed on the bike, of course, since I'm
upgrading to the hydro-discs....

I'd contact the seller and see if they have an appropriate package
available.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old February 23rd 06, 07:30 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Werehatrack wrote:

A lot less than a complete bike, both in terms of money and what's
present.

Well, of course, but is there some standard definition of "framekit"?
Obviously it includes the frame...and then? I ask 'cause the SMGTe
framekit seems to be pretty much the whole bike, save for the wheels.

Nothing that isn't mentioned is included; at the very least, there are
no shifters, ders, wheels, or brakes. Buying those components new
would likely set you back more than $650 for equivalent kit at retail.

Wow, really? Never figured those components so expensive if they're so
standard-entry-level-throwaway....

Ders and shifters at a minimum, perhaps?

I'm getting some Shimano XT or other stuff....

No. The upgrades are explicitly priced as *upgrades* to a complete
bike. They are most decidedly not a la carte parts to pick and choose
separately. The upgrade prices represent the *difference* in price
between the standard and upgraded kit.

HOLY ****ING ****!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, whoa!!

As it is, I'm to take delivery late next month on a souped-up SMGTe...I
was wondering if I should have the dealer build from a framekit for me
instead of ripping apart a basic bike and adding the upgrades....

I don't get something, though: I'm being charged for the basic bike
model. Upgraded brakes are extra. What does the dealer do with the
included brakes, forks, rear suspension, etc.???

I'd contact the seller and see if they have an appropriate package
available.

The guy has a complete bike. Very nice as is, but I was thinking of
going whole hog on this thing once I test rode it -- SOOOOOOOOOOOOO
COMFY!!!! I can see myself doing some coast-to-coast tour on this
SMGTe!!!! Always wondered about busting my balls (literally!) on an
upwrong during a x-country ride....

What would you say is an "appropriate package" for someone who's gonna
upgrade brakes, derailleurs, and all suspension?

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Old February 23rd 06, 08:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

snip
What would you say is an "appropriate package" for someone who's gonna
upgrade brakes, derailleurs, and all suspension?

--

Without going to hpvelo website to check, I would recommend the DT Swiss air
shock. It is way better than either DNM that they offer as stock and the one

Old February 23rd 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On 23 Feb 2006 11:30:50 -0800, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:
...The upgrades are explicitly priced as *upgrades* to a complete
bike. They are most decidedly not a la carte parts to pick and choose
separately. The upgrade prices represent the *difference* in price
between the standard and upgraded kit.

HOLY ****ING ****!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, whoa!!

As it is, I'm to take delivery late next month on a souped-up SMGTe...I
was wondering if I should have the dealer build from a framekit for me
instead of ripping apart a basic bike and adding the upgrades....

If you order the bike with the upgrades, the dealer will most likely
place the order with the manufacturer for delivery with those upgraded
parts already included, rather than taking an assembled unit from
stock and replacing the components. If you talk to the dealer, I
suspect you'll discover that the upgrades can only be ordered at the
upgrade price when the bike order is placed; to add them on later most
likely will cost more unless the dealer is confident of being able to
recover enough from the sale of the take-offs to cover the difference.

I don't get something, though: I'm being charged for the basic bike
model. Upgraded brakes are extra. What does the dealer do with the
included brakes, forks, rear suspension, etc.???

Not get them to begin with, if the ordering process is as I suspect it
must be.

I'd contact the seller and see if they have an appropriate package
available.

The guy has a complete bike. Very nice as is, but I was thinking of
going whole hog on this thing once I test rode it -- SOOOOOOOOOOOOO
COMFY!!!! I can see myself doing some coast-to-coast tour on this
SMGTe!!!! Always wondered about busting my balls (literally!) on an
upwrong during a x-country ride....

Chances are good that if you ordered a frameset, the dealer would
order that from the factory. Depending upon a number of factors,
though, the dealer might be willing to make you a deal of some sort on
the showroom model with bits removed or replaced...but you'll have to
discuss that with them; speculation is pointless.

What would you say is an "appropriate package" for someone who's gonna
upgrade brakes, derailleurs, and all suspension?

If that's your plan, then the frameset seems like the appropriate
choice. You'll still end up discarding the rear shock and the front
fork, and you probably stand to do better selling the removed bits on
eBay than trying to get a price reduction for their removal from the
package. (Unless that's a 26" front wheel, though, the stock fork
will probably bring very little at auction, and even if it's
mtb-useful, that model of fork is not highly prized for mtb use.)

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old February 23rd 06, 09:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

gotbent wrote:

Without going to hpvelo website to check, I would recommend the DT Swiss air
shock. It is way better than either DNM that they offer as stock and the one
they offer as the cheaper upgrade; lighter and easier to adjust and a
couple of hundred bucks more. I replaced the DNM (the one with the coil
spring and secondary air chamber) that was on my Speedmachine with the DT.

Yeah, I'm about to get that Swiss Air shock, too. What do you think of
a MEKS AC upgrade on the front? Same easier to adjust advantage, too.
I'm most likely to go whole hog after all, for all Pete Clinch's advise
(oops!), but I'm curious as to opinions.

also changed out the Magura Clara calipers with Magura Louise. I hated the
Claras. They squealed and rubbed the rotors and finally the piston seals
started to leak. They work fine with the old Clara levers that were on the
bike. I don't know why Hp offers a Maggy that's used on full-on downhill and
freeride mountain bikes.

What do you think about the Magura Marta hydraulic disc brakes?

Old February 23rd 06, 10:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
"G.T." writes:

And if I get the basic bike but upgrade anyway, right there and then,
should I expect to get my standard factory parts as well? I mean, the
basic model comes with V-brakes...I guess I should get them all the
same, right, only not installed on the bike, of course, since I'm
upgrading to the hydro-discs....

Why don't you ask tham rather than annoy Usenetizens?

I for one am not annoyed. But I am beginning to get the
impression recumbents are more about [thinking aboug] buying
than riding. Oh, well. Maybe they just require so much more
pre-purchase decision analysis. If I had that much money to
spend and so much trouble deciding how to spend it, I think
I'd just spring for a full set of professional copper cookware.

mmmm ... chafing dish ...

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old February 23rd 06, 11:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"G.T." writes:

And if I get the basic bike but upgrade anyway, right there and then,
should I expect to get my standard factory parts as well? I mean, the
basic model comes with V-brakes...I guess I should get them all the
same, right, only not installed on the bike, of course, since I'm
upgrading to the hydro-discs....

Why don't you ask tham rather than annoy Usenetizens?

I for one am not annoyed. But I am beginning to get the
impression recumbents are more about [thinking aboug] buying
than riding. Oh, well. Maybe they just require so much more
pre-purchase decision analysis. If I had that much money to
spend and so much trouble deciding how to spend it, I think
I'd just spring for a full set of professional copper cookware.

Same here, I'd buy some professional cookware, too, since cooking is one of
my other hobbies and I've spent plenty on bikes recently. Oh, wait, I'd buy
that cookware after a Canon 30D. No, no, wait, after a 30D and a new
computer. Yeah, that's it.

Greg