{Melb} Farren Bicycle Collection + Mountain Goat Brewery

Old May 5th 06, 01:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default {Melb} Farren Bicycle Collection + Mountain Goat Brewery

************************************************** **************
Friday 5 May Farren Bicycle Collection + Mountain Goat Brewery:
************************************************** **************
6pm - 131 Brighton Street, Richmond (Melways 58 F1)
Come along, mingle with fellow cyclists, and view the amazing vintage
bicycles & tricycles collection. Later during the evening we can
adjourn to the Mountain Goat Brewery (cnr of River & Clarke St,
Richmond) Goat Management allows your trusty bike to be parked inside
the premises & the doorbloke is very nice. (where have we heard that
before?)

Is anybody going tonight?
What's the protocol. Would it be uncool to rock up clad in Lycra?
Are there places to park bikes at Farren?

Cheers
DaveA

Old May 5th 06, 02:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Dave A Wrote:

Is anybody going tonight?
What's the protocol. Would it be uncool to rock up clad in Lycra?
Are there places to park bikes at Farren?

Ah the usual suspects + more, weather permitting.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/reg/IDR023.loop.shtml

There is ample bike parking around the back (from memory) Wear whatever
you want, as the weather looks ****e. If you attended the last opening
in March, this time the catering is a bit more minimal, but there's
d*n*ts for those who rock up early. Afterwards - ride down to the Land
of Goat or go for a meal somewhere along Bridge Road.

--
cfsmtb

Old May 6th 06, 01:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In turned out to be an delightful evening, despite the dark and stormy
conditions. About 20+ good cyclists attended the Farren Collection,
where Charlie and Paul gave a fun, informative talk about the
collection, it's mostly pre-1900 origins and history etc. After last
night I really do need to get overbooties, walking around in cold,
wrinkled wet feet certainly ain't fun. Especially when they start to
cramp...

About a dozen cyclists later decamped to the Land of Goat where much
merriment, chips and deep-fried goodness were to be had. Actually I've
never seen so much chippage outside a deep fryer, so everyone present
was nicely fed and watered. Must organise another similar event
again & I hope you enjoyed the donuts

--
cfsmtb

Old May 6th 06, 02:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Resound Wrote:
I was working until late. *grumps* Actually, one of the few downsides to
getting a full time position is that I'll be working late for the
forseeable future so Goating looks like it may not be on the cards for
a while. Bumfaces.

Bikesoiler has raised the topic of further PubBUG activities, like
visits to *other interesting establishments*. We'll let you know.

--
cfsmtb

Old May 6th 06, 02:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
Bikesoiler has raised the topic of further PubBUG activities, like
visits to *other interesting establishments*. We'll let you know.

It's more the idea of evening activities rather than the venue.
Weekends are go though

--
Resound

Old May 6th 06, 03:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Dave A Wrote:
************************************************** **************
Friday 5 May Farren Bicycle Collection + Mountain Goat Brewery:
************************************************** **************
Thanks for posting this. Ended up getting along after a small detour on

my wet commute home. The Penny Farthings or Highwheelers got me the
most. Hadn't known a great deal about then till last night. It got me
looking around the net this morn seeing if ppl are making them still.
Found this guy in the UK making a really noice lookin' one. He's also
trying to ride around the world on one. 3rd attempt from what I can
gather with the quick read. He recently had a prang
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...e_id=31559&v=i and
stuffed his shoulder/wrist.
Cool tent setup for the trip too;
http://www.pennyfarthingworldtour.com/penpics.htm (bottom of the page)
Even a trailer goin' on;
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...e_id=32375&v=c

--
JayWoo

Old May 6th 06, 07:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Resound Wrote:
It's more the idea of evening activities rather than the venue. Weekends
are go though

A weekend event was what was being considered, more soon!

BTW for those of you either too wussy to brave the elements, or in
places other than Melboring, here is a pictorial of the collection back
in March:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63757337@N00/tags/farren/

--
cfsmtb

Old May 6th 06, 12:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
A weekend event was what was being considered, more soon!

BTW for those of you either too wussy to brave the elements, or in
places other than Melboring, here is a pictorial of the collection back
in March:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63757337@N00/tags/farren/

meaning me...yep wussy, actually under orders from my coach not to
ride last night or this morning, ( regular update for the MHR test this
arvo, and I survived....pharque!!! deep down i do have a heart)

so last night when the old Stuttgart mode 'd perambulation coughed and
spluttered and said she wasnt going anywhere no matter what the bloke
from the RACV did to tickle her belly...that was it...sad, had to stay
in for a pasta night with a Mc Chouffe ( Brune d'Ardenne)...bwuddy gut
ja!...

future activities sound like the go...

thanks all for having a great night for us who couldnt...you braved the
coldy for coldies...well done...

--
rooman

Old May 6th 06, 02:04 PM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
Bikesoiler has raised the topic of further PubBUG activities, like
visits to *other interesting establishments*. We'll let you know.

I hear there's a new brewery opening in sth melb region in near
future.
'someone' knows more on this...

--
flyingdutch

Old May 7th 06, 09:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb wrote:
In turned out to be an delightful evening, despite the dark and
stormy conditions. About 20+ good cyclists attended the Farren
Collection, where Charlie and Paul gave a fun, informative talk about
the collection, it's mostly pre-1900 origins and history etc.

Yeah, was good. I hadn't heard the womens lib angle on bicycles before,
new concept for me but it does make some kind of sense.

After last night I really do need to get overbooties, walking around
in cold, wrinkled wet feet certainly ain't fun. Especially when they
start to cramp...

I haven't found overbooties which are 100% effective. I've got a pair
of neoprene ones and they at least keep your feet warm if not dry.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a couple of pairs of Sealskin socks
or similar and using my XC race shoes in winter. Those with booties and
a pair of boots at each work location should see me right.

About a dozen cyclists later decamped to the Land of Goat where much
merriment, chips and deep-fried goodness were to be had. Actually
I've never seen so much chippage outside a deep fryer, so everyone
present was nicely fed and watered. Must organise another similar
event again & I hope you enjoyed the donuts

Skippped Goat this time around, had a busy day planned for Saturday
which turned out to be busier than we expected. Ah the sacrafice!
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,