Training or Plain Riding?

Old December 15th 08, 11:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Training or Plain Riding?

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:15:52 -0500, RonSonic
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 00:47:18 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:53:33 -0800, Fred Fredburger
wrote:

I do not understand why people believe the Government, or anything else,
can remove all risks from life.

Think of the children! Please, won't someone please think of the
children?

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...06_736x800.jpg
Old December 15th 08, 11:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:46:06 -0800 (PST), hizark21
wrote:

On Dec 14, 5:26*pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:23:00 -0800 (PST), Bill C

wrote:
. One will fail more than the other, but we have no
real hard evidence of which, and in what magnitude, or what types.

You don't think tens or hundred of thousands of days of racing forks
of either material with almost no catastropic failures is evidence?

With a steel fork the you will see some visible cracks and flexing
over time. Even a steel fork that has been crashed and straightened
there is little chance of catastrophic failure.

I've noticed you have a strong ability to make statements or respond
to questions that are just a little bit off what you responding to.

For example, my comment above is about the tons of forks w/o
catostrophic failures and, rather than refute that, you say something
a little different.

So I'll ask you a question about that (though I'm doubtful you'll
actually get an answer): controlling for the number of forks of each
type in use, are there more catastropic failures of carbon forks than
steel forks or aluminum forks?

Old December 15th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

wrote:

I do not understand why people believe the Government, or anything else,
can remove all risks from life.

Think of the children! Please, won't someone please think of the
children?

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...06_736x800.jpg

Perfect example.

I blame mostly the influence of nationwide news coverage. Every bad thing that
happens anywhere is multiplied by the coverage to make the entire world seem
dangerous and frightful.

It isn't.
Old December 15th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:51:58 -0800, Howard Kveck
wrote:

wrote:

I do not understand why people believe the Government, or anything else,
can remove all risks from life.

Think of the children! Please, won't someone please think of the
children?

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

Yep, it is you. Cool.

That link is a good one, by the way. I'm so tired of hearing about people who
won't let their kids do anything because "It isn't safe out there." We learned to
ride bikes without helmets and pads. At least the skateboard kids are moving away
from all the protection when they street skate.

When I was 11, we used to ride 6 miles to the next town. No helmets, crap bikes,
no adult supervision. Life was good.

Now the perception of risk is so grave .... Have you noticed the size of new
home construction in the last 10 years or so - houses have doubled in size
because nobody's outdoors anymore. Kids stay in and play video games unless
someone drives them somewhere.

What stunted lives and experiences.
Old December 16th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

wrote:

I do not understand why people believe the Government, or anything else,
can remove all risks from life.

Think of the children! Please, won't someone please think of the
children?

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

I was riding the bike up the street, saw a soccer ball,
and heard a plaintive cry from behind a 12 foot razor
wire fence. It was a middle schooler asking for the
ball. I retrieved it and went up to him. Said "They
will not let you out to retrieve it." He said "No."
I said "That sucks."

Climbing forbidden fences is part of growing up.
My occasional interactions with the children and
adolescents around here suggest that they are
typically well-adjusted and respectful, though not unduly so.

--
Michael Press
Old December 16th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,

wrote:

I do not understand why people believe the Government, or anything else,
can remove all risks from life.

Think of the children! Please, won't someone please think of the
children?

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...06_736x800.jpg

Allowed? I had a bicycle and went where I pleased. Spent
a summer with relatives in rural Pennsylvania when I was
eight. My cousins and I ran like savages, made weapons,
smoked. I was very thirsty one day. My cousins said there
is a spring down there. As I started they then said there
are rattlesnakes. *******s trying to screw with me. I
took off and found the spring. Damn good tasting water.

--
Michael Press
Old December 16th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
RonSonic wrote:

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:51:58 -0800, Howard Kveck
wrote:

wrote:

I do not understand why people believe the Government, or anything else,
can remove all risks from life.

Think of the children! Please, won't someone please think of the
children?

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

Yep, it is you. Cool.

That link is a good one, by the way. I'm so tired of hearing about people
who won't let their kids do anything because "It isn't safe out there." We
learned to ride bikes without helmets and pads. At least the skateboard kids
are moving away from all the protection when they street skate.

When I was 11, we used to ride 6 miles to the next town. No helmets, crap
bikes, no adult supervision. Life was good.

Yeah, I had the same deal going on. We were all over the countryside on bikes and
foot. Total freedom. And everyone made it back (and in one piece, for the most
part...). That was so damn fun.

Now the perception of risk is so grave .... Have you noticed the size of new
home construction in the last 10 years or so - houses have doubled in size
because nobody's outdoors anymore. Kids stay in and play video games unless
someone drives them somewhere.

They drive them somewhere to play video games.

What stunted lives and experiences.

I can't argue with that.

Mo

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23935873/

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old December 16th 08, 08:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

On Dec 14, 11:34*pm, Howard Kveck wrote:
In article ,

*hizark21 wrote:
On Dec 13, 9:03*pm, Howard Kveck wrote:
In article
,

*hizark21 wrote:
*Carbon fiber wheel are safer
because the spoke and hub structure will prevent the wheel from simply
breaking in half. You will have to replace the wheel. But you will be
able to stop safely.

* *When did aluminum rim and stainless spoked wheels start breaking in
half? I must have missed that.

Excuse me, but stainless steel spokes break in half often...
Aluminum rim do, but on rare occasions.

* *Yes, spokes do break (usually at the elbow) and rims do break on occasion but that
isn't what you said above. You seem to be implying that non-CF wheels break in half.
Anyway, every time I've seen a spoke break or a rim crack, the rider has been able to
stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4HN3B51kc

--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * tanx,
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Howard

* * * * * * * * * * * * *Caught playing safe
* * * * * * * * * * * * * It's a bored game

* * * * * * * * * * *remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok

I should have said no wheels break in half.
Old December 16th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Tom Kunich wrote:
But if he was riding a steel bike with a steel fork he wouldn't
have crashed like that.

Same message here http://vimeo.com/2489092
Old December 16th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Ted van de Weteringe" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:
But if he was riding a steel bike with a steel fork he wouldn't have
crashed like that.

Same message here http://vimeo.com/2489092

That looked almost fake it broke so easily!

Salisbury Plain byway query didds UK 11 June 28th 08 05:56 PM
New Movie: Plain with Pallets... Evan Byrne Unicycling 27 September 21st 05 08:45 AM
Land Rider - just plain bad... Bill H. General 19 August 8th 05 02:59 AM
just plain fun (informative, too!) Birchy Rides 0 December 21st 04 11:28 PM
Rail riding training... andrew_carter Unicycling 46 February 7th 04 09:25 AM