San Diego area commuting questions

Old May 9th 04, 08:25 PM
Noel Llopis

Default San Diego area commuting questions

I'm going to be moving to the San Diego area (Carlsbad) in just about a
couple of weeks and I had a couple of questions for those of you who know
the area of live the

- I'm planning on commuting to work as much as possible. Are rain/wet roads
really as infrequent as they say? I'm wondering whether it's worth keeping
my current bad-weather commuter or not.

- Is bicycle theft a problem around the Carlsbad/Leucadia town centers? I'm
not talking about fancy racing bikes, but not crappy K-mart bikes either
(about a $800 bike. Specifically of bikes with locks attached to bike racks
while at the post office, library, or movie theater.

Basically, I'm trying to decide whether to bring my Redline cross bike which
is my current bad-weather commuter. If I'm not going to need it for
commuting in the rain, and it's too nice for around-town errands because of
bike theft, then I'll definitely try to sell it before I move.

One more quick question: I've been to the area a few times but I haven't
been able to ride while I was there. Are the bike lanes around 101, Palomar
Rd, and El Camino Real fairly smooth and free of debris? As in, would I be
able to use my regular road bike with 23mm tires safely and not get flats
all the time for commuting?

Thanks in advance, and maybe I'll see you on the road soon!

--Noel

Old May 10th 04, 03:42 AM
Thomas Reynolds

Noel Llopis wrote in message ...
- I'm planning on commuting to work as much as possible. Are rain/wet roads
really as infrequent as they say? I'm wondering whether it's worth keeping
my current bad-weather commuter or not.

I would recommend that you keep it. What rain we get comes in the
winter and spring. Its almost over now. If you are a serious bike
commuter you will be glad you have it next year.

- Is bicycle theft a problem around the Carlsbad/Leucadia town centers? I'm
not talking about fancy racing bikes, but not crappy K-mart bikes either
(about a $800 bike. Specifically of bikes with locks attached to bike racks
while at the post office, library, or movie theater.

If you have a quality bike lock it is generally not a problem.

One more quick question: I've been to the area a few times but I haven't
been able to ride while I was there. Are the bike lanes around 101, Palomar
Rd, and El Camino Real fairly smooth and free of debris? As in, would I be
able to use my regular road bike with 23mm tires safely and not get flats
all the time for commuting?

I commute those roads on 23mm tires on a road bike.

Thanks in advance, and maybe I'll see you on the road soon!

My name is Tom and I am easily recognized because I have 8-10 inches
of blond hair hanging out the back of my helmet. Say hello if you see
me.

Tom
Old May 12th 04, 03:47 AM
Collin

Noel Llopis wrote:

I'm going to be moving to the San Diego area (Carlsbad) in just about a
couple of weeks and I had a couple of questions for those of you who know
the area of live the

- I'm planning on commuting to work as much as possible. Are rain/wet roads
really as infrequent as they say? I'm wondering whether it's worth keeping
my current bad-weather commuter or not.

Rain is infrequent, but can be harsh when it arrives. (Disclaimer: I
moved to Chicago from Encinitas sixteen months ago. San Diego weather is
the best!)

- Is bicycle theft a problem around the Carlsbad/Leucadia town centers? I'm
not talking about fancy racing bikes, but not crappy K-mart bikes either
(about a $800 bike. Specifically of bikes with locks attached to bike racks
while at the post office, library, or movie theater.

Any decent lock will be safe.

Basically, I'm trying to decide whether to bring my Redline cross bike which
is my current bad-weather commuter. If I'm not going to need it for
commuting in the rain, and it's too nice for around-town errands because of
bike theft, then I'll definitely try to sell it before I move.

One more quick question: I've been to the area a few times but I haven't
been able to ride while I was there. Are the bike lanes around 101, Palomar
Rd, and El Camino Real fairly smooth and free of debris? As in, would I be
able to use my regular road bike with 23mm tires safely and not get flats
all the time for commuting?

They are smooth but not free of debris. After putting on tire liners I
never had a problem.

Thanks in advance, and maybe I'll see you on the road soon!

--Noel

Last few newbie questions... (coaster, drum, S-RAM/Nexus, etc...) Lobo Tommy General 5 April 23rd 04 02:42 AM
Q - Eating breakfast before commuting RL General 38 April 11th 04 11:46 PM
Commuting by Bicycle John General 0 December 9th 03 08:23 PM
Commuting Report: Week 1 Jeff Williams General 20 October 9th 03 09:04 PM