What happened to BentRiderOnline?

Old July 8th 04, 08:32 PM
Edward Dolan

Default What happened to BentRiderOnline?

"Larry Varney" wrote in message
[...]
It's a fun ride - and I recommend the Tour of the Scioto River Valley
to everyone - it's not really that tough, just a few rollers along the
southern third. And the murals on the floodwalls in Portsmouth make it
all worthwhile.
But don't stop with just that article - read the rest of them. Maybe
I'll see you - and lots of other readers/posters on Bike Florida, GITAP,
TRIRI, the Florida Bicycle Safari, etc.!

Varney is doing nothing but easy rides. He needs to go West and do some more
difficult rides. I recommend BRAN (Nebraska) or CANDISC (North Dakota) and
he would soon find out what he is made of.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 8th 04, 08:46 PM
Edward Dolan

"Larry Varney" wrote in message
I've heard from a couple of people that they've been having problems
getting in. I'm not sure what the common denominator is. I'm using
Mozilla (on Linux), but I haven't updated it lately. I wonder if that's
a clue? If everyone who is having problems, did they recently make some
changes to their browser and/or computer in general?
I do think that 'waiting for 127.0.0.1 may be a smoking gun as well.

John Rooker wrote:
Chris,

I'm having the same problem. I use Mozilla as well. I did a bunch of
updates on Mozilla apps, Thunderbird, Firefox and Moz 1.7 and then
discovered the problem with BROL. I have another PC that I did not
update and it's going fine. When I try to access BROL, it says "Waiting
for 127.0.0.1 which is weird...that's Localhost..

chrisbacon wrote:

Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my end. I started
using Mozilla instead of MS Internet Explorer, but even MSIE just sits
there with the status Opening page
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm

I'll figure it out.

Chris

Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the world is using
Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates problems that I don't get on IE. I would
be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like about IE. It seems
fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up too many web sites.
What am I missing?

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 8th 04, 08:57 PM
MLB

chrisbacon wrote in
:

Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my end. I started
using Mozilla instead of MS Internet Explorer, but even MSIE just sits
there with the status Opening page
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm

I'll figure it out.

Chris

--

Switched to FireFox last weekend and haven't been able to access BRO since
also. Every thing else is fine.
Old July 8th 04, 08:59 PM
MLB

John Rooker wrote in news:2l5gbfF8rfvbU1@uni-
berlin.de:

I had been running Moz 1.7 betas with no problems and installed the

1.7
rinal release last week as well as upgrading the other Mozilla aps.

The
first thing I noticed last week was that the upper frame was blank,

but
the lower frame displayed OK. Now, the line separating the frames
appears and nothing else. I've checked the nosts file and nothing as
added so I'm stumped. IE doesn't work now either, BTW.

chrisbacon wrote:

Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my end. I

started
using Mozilla instead of MS Internet Explorer, but even MSIE just
sits there with the status Opening page
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm

I'll figure it out.

Chris

--

Similar here, first the banner on top was blank but I could access the
forums from the bottom. Now nothing.
Old July 8th 04, 09:00 PM
MLB

"Edward Dolan" wrote in
:

chrisbacon wrote:

Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my end. I
started using Mozilla instead of MS Internet Explorer, but even
MSIE just sits there with the status Opening page
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm

I'll figure it out.

Chris

Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the world is using
Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates problems that I don't get on IE. I
would be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like about
IE. It seems fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up too
many web sites. What am I missing?

Guess you missed that nationwide call from computer experts that "it's
time to switch" of IE due to the proliferation of more complex bugs
every month. The latest security problem is MAJOR and not to be ignored.
You have been warned.
Old July 8th 04, 09:23 PM
John Knezevich

chrisbacon wrote:

Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my end. I started
using Mozilla instead of MS Internet Explorer, but even MSIE just sits
there with the status Opening page
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm

I'll figure it out.

Chris

Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the world is using
Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates problems that I don't get on IE. I would
be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like about IE. It seems
fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up too many web sites.
What am I missing?

I'm using Firefox as my browser, not Mozilla. Firefox is a stand alone
browser produced by the Mozilla organization. Here are the reasons I
use Firefox.
- I like the tabs for page management.
- Built in popup blocker.
- Firefox generally feels faster than IE.
- I use Linux and Windows. IE doesn't run on Linux.
- I find that for the pages I use Firefox hangs less than IE. That
being said, both IE and Firefox exhibit far to much quirky behavior.
- I'm an advocate of open source software. Given 2 solutions, and all
other things being nearly equal, I'll go with the open source solution.

-John

Old July 8th 04, 09:29 PM
John Rooker

For me, it's cross platform uniformity. I run a couple Win2000 boxes
and a Linux box and I like to use the same browser on each.

Old July 8th 04, 09:52 PM
Edward Dolan

"MLB" wrote in message
.136...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in
:

chrisbacon wrote:

Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my end. I
started using Mozilla instead of MS Internet Explorer, but even
MSIE just sits there with the status Opening page
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm

I'll figure it out.

Chris

Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the world is using
Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates problems that I don't get on IE. I
would be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like about
IE. It seems fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up too
many web sites. What am I missing?

Guess you missed that nationwide call from computer experts that "it's
time to switch" of IE due to the proliferation of more complex bugs
every month. The latest security problem is MAJOR and not to be ignored.
You have been warned.

Good Grief! I have got an anti-virus program (QuickHeal) which updates
automatically every day, I have got ZoneAlarm (a firewall) and I have got
SpyBot for adware and spyware. I also download all the Microsoft updates
religiously. What else do I need? If IE is taken down, I suspect Mozilla
won't be far behind.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 8th 04, 10:04 PM
Cletus Lee

In article , says...
Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my end. I started using Mozilla instead of MS Internet Explorer, but even MSIE just sits there with the status
Opening page
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm

I'll figure it out.

I don't think the problem is on your end. Last night I got two empty frames and the ubiquitous
message "Waiting on 127.0.0.1" This was on Firefox and IE. Today at work All is dandy.

BTW the link to the forums (on another server) http://p206.ezboard.com/bbentrideronline worked fine
on every browser I tried. I think the problem is on the BROL host server. The reverence to the
localhost (127.0.0.1) is suspicious.

--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro
Old July 8th 04, 10:09 PM
Edward Dolan

"John Knezevich" wrote in
message ...
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
[...]

John, anyone who uses two operating systems is way beyond my level of
competence. I figure I can spend the rest of my life trying to figure out
Windows XP. IE as a browser seems to work well most of the time, but it
likes to freeze on me more than I would like. Usually a reboot will correct
the problem, but sometimes I have to go to a restore point in order to get
back to a normal operating condition.

I am an old dog now and I refuse to learn any new tricks. I grew up in an
era where all you had to know was how to turn something on and how to turn
something off and tune the station and adjust the volume. All this computer
stuff is going to be the death of me.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota