What happened to BentRiderOnline?

Old July 8th 04, 10:18 PM
Edward Dolan

Default What happened to BentRiderOnline?

"John Rooker" wrote in message

Edward Dolan wrote:

Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the world is using
Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates problems that I don't get on IE. I

would
be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like about IE. It

seems
fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up too many web

sites.
What am I missing?

For me, it's cross platform uniformity. I run a couple Win2000 boxes
and a Linux box and I like to use the same browser on each.

Good Grief! Who are these people who are running more than one operating
system? I am surprised you are not also running a Mac (Apple) OS as well,
although I guess you need a separate computer for that.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 8th 04, 10:36 PM
John Rooker

If I had my druthers, it would be Linux and nothing else, but we have to
have some Windows machines for my wife's job.

Old July 8th 04, 10:47 PM
chrisbacon

I tried uninstalling Mozilla 1.7 and Firefox, but IE (version 6.0.2800)
still doesn't work. At various times I saw all of the things that have
been reported. Upper frame blank, looking for that IP address (127.0.0.0
or whatever it is). Every other site is ok, so it must be some
combination of the BROL site and what I have on my system.

I just tried getting in using my laptop (Windows XP up to date, same
IE version) and get the same result in the lower left:

"Opening page http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm..."

Since I did never installed Mozilla or Firefox on the laptop, it
doesn't seem like they would be the source of the problem.

Ain't computers fun?

Chris

Old July 8th 04, 10:54 PM
Randy Rhine

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Larry Varney" wrote in message

I've heard from a couple of people that they've been having problems
getting in. I'm not sure what the common denominator is. I'm using
Mozilla (on Linux), but I haven't updated it lately. I wonder if that's
a clue? If everyone who is having problems, did they recently make some
changes to their browser and/or computer in general?
I do think that 'waiting for 127.0.0.1 may be a smoking gun as well.

John Rooker wrote:

Chris,

I'm having the same problem. I use Mozilla as well. I did a bunch of
updates on Mozilla apps, Thunderbird, Firefox and Moz 1.7 and then
discovered the problem with BROL. I have another PC that I did not
update and it's going fine. When I try to access BROL, it says "Waiting
for 127.0.0.1 which is weird...that's Localhost..

chrisbacon wrote:

Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my end. I started
using Mozilla instead of MS Internet Explorer, but even MSIE just sits
there with the status Opening page
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm

I'll figure it out.

Chris

Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the world is using
Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates problems that I don't get on IE. I would
be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like about IE. It seems
fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up too many web sites.
What am I missing?

I like the way Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox has a personal toolbar on top
for organizing bookmarks. I also like the tabbed-browsing feature. And I
like that most viruses are targetted towards IE so not using it (or
Outlook) makes me a little bit safer. And I think the file scheme that
Netscape uses is cleaner and more straight foward than IE, which makes
it easier to backup, and move to other computers. And I've been usng it
for years so...why switch. It used to be that with the prior version of
Netscape, every so often I would run across a web site that didn't work
and would have to bring up IE to see it. Haven't had that problem since
upgrading to Netscape 7 about 8 months ago.

rr

Old July 8th 04, 11:58 PM
MLB

"Edward Dolan" wrote in news:PJudnYrc_rKYKXDdRVn-
:

"MLB" wrote in message
.136...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in
:

chrisbacon wrote:

Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my end. I
started using Mozilla instead of MS Internet Explorer, but even
MSIE just sits there with the status Opening page
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm

I'll figure it out.

Chris

Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the world is

using
Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates problems that I don't get on

IE. I
would be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like about
IE. It seems fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up

too
many web sites. What am I missing?

Guess you missed that nationwide call from computer experts that

"it's
time to switch" of IE due to the proliferation of more complex bugs
every month. The latest security problem is MAJOR and not to be

ignored.
You have been warned.

Good Grief! I have got an anti-virus program (QuickHeal) which updates
automatically every day, I have got ZoneAlarm (a firewall) and I have

got
SpyBot for adware and spyware. I also download all the Microsoft

updates
religiously. What else do I need? If IE is taken down, I suspect

Mozilla
won't be far behind.

You haven't been reading!! The new worms and viruses are MUCH more
elaborate than the old types that attacked one known vulnerability. The
new ones are seeming to use multiple attacks on multiple openings. Much
harder to detect and treat. They are also more virulent and dangerous.
What you have for protection is what EVERYONE has. It's not enough. ANd
will be even less sufficient from here forward. There is a
HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE difference in the user base of IE to anything else.
Nothing else gets even 1% of the attention of the hackers, not to
mention MS ineptitude in fixing the PROBLEM as a whole instead of
sticking one finger in one hole each time. Ask someone that knows this
stuff (I don't) and they'll tell you that IE is
BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, as in unbelievably bad. As in, shouldn't
be on the market bad............. It has always been bad, but now it's
dangerously bad for you personal information!
The new programs allowed them to access bank records and other
institutional sources. They could gain access to your credit cards,
account numbers, etc WITHOUT YOU EVER USING THEM on the web. One also
that corrupted hard drives, making them unusable! Not a kill it and
you're ok thing anymore!
There is a VERY LARGE difference between today and a year ago when it
comes to internet problems. Keep IE and you'll find out. Eventually.
Old July 9th 04, 03:57 AM
Mike Moore

Cletus Lee wrote:
In article , says...

Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my end. I started using Mozilla instead of MS Internet Explorer, but even MSIE just sits there with the status
Opening page
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm

I'll figure it out.

I don't think the problem is on your end. Last night I got two empty frames and the ubiquitous
message "Waiting on 127.0.0.1" This was on Firefox and IE. Today at work All is dandy.

BTW the link to the forums (on another server) http://p206.ezboard.com/bbentrideronline worked fine
on every browser I tried. I think the problem is on the BROL host server. The reverence to the
localhost (127.0.0.1) is suspicious.

Yes, the reference to 127.0.0.1 is suspicious. I had been experiencing
the same problems accessing BROL since installing Mozilla 1.7 last week.
I had been using 1.6 with no problems before. By using an older PC with
Windows 98, I was able to get to BROL. I then looked at the page source
for both the top and main frames. They include lines like:
script language='javascript'
src='http://127.0.0.1:1026/js.cgi?pa&r=14272'/script

If you turn off Javascript in Mozilla, BROL loads fine. It just doesn't
look as "pretty" as it used to.

You can turn off Javascript by going to
Edit/Preferences/Advanced/Scripts & Plugins and unchecking the "Enable
JavaScript For: Navigator" checkbox.

Old July 9th 04, 04:38 AM
Larry Varney

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Larry Varney" wrote in message
[...]

It's a fun ride - and I recommend the Tour of the Scioto River Valley
to everyone - it's not really that tough, just a few rollers along the
southern third. And the murals on the floodwalls in Portsmouth make it
all worthwhile.
But don't stop with just that article - read the rest of them. Maybe
I'll see you - and lots of other readers/posters on Bike Florida, GITAP,
TRIRI, the Florida Bicycle Safari, etc.!

Varney is doing nothing but easy rides. He needs to go West and do some more
difficult rides. I recommend BRAN (Nebraska) or CANDISC (North Dakota) and
he would soon find out what he is made of.

I was just talking to someone who rode BRAN this year. She said the
almost incessant wind just about drove her crazy. And as for CANDISC, a
friend of mine rode that last year. He said it was fun, but not
particularly tough.
If you want something tough, try the century route of the Old
Kentucky Home Tour. It's just 2-day weekend ride, but the century on
Saturday has three of the toughest hills I've ever encountered, right at
the 92-mile mark. I'm serious when I say that you almost feel like the
front wheel is going to come off the ground!

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Old July 9th 04, 06:43 AM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

Larry, I never do centuries. I hate them with a passion! The main Wisconsin
ride which I have often done (GRABAAWR) averages about 70 miles per day.
That is more than enough. However, I do note that many Eastern rides will
average far less than that. I heartily approve of such rides as just piling
up miles is brainless and counter productive to enjoyment. When I am doing
a week long group tour I like to have a bit of time to myself and not have
to spend all day just pedaling. The GOBA (Ohio) has got it right as far as
I am concerned. The Bike Florida has also got it right.

BRAN is a devil of a ride, CANDISC is not so bad, but the daily mileage can
be a bit much some years. The main problem with these rides as far as I am
concerned are the eternal winds which detract greatly from the enjoyment. I
much prefer Eastern rides because they are not so difficult and you are not
constantly battling the wind.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 9th 04, 07:02 AM
Edward Dolan

"MLB" wrote in message
.136...
[...]

MLB, you do not understand my psychology. First off, if my hard drive goes
and I lose all my music (over 40 GB worth) I will have to kill myself. There
is no other possible solution.

However, my back up plan is to say screw all this computer crap! The
Internet is nothing but chaos and if Microsoft can't get a handle on it,
then I sure as hell am not going to get a handle on it. I have lived 99% of
my life without computers and I can easily go back to living without a
computer. I will only take so much aggravation and then I will be gone. It
will be ... "got along before I met you, will get along without you now!"

But what are you recommending that I do to avoid all the problems that you
foresee for the immediate future?

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 9th 04, 07:12 AM
Edward Dolan

"Randy Rhine" wrote in message

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
[...]

Randy, I am only concerned about viruses taking down my computer. All the
bells and whistles that you may get with other browsers do not matter to me.
I have tried Netscape in the past and was not overly impressed. But I do
worry about viruses, worms, hackers, etc. I wonder if Firefox might not be
worth a try? I dread the thought of a new OS such as Linux.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota