Retail Performance Stores asking for customer name.

Old August 24th 03, 12:46 AM
Dan O'Brasky

Default Retail Performance Stores asking for customer name.

It's your name dweeb. They do so at a lot of stores including CompUSA so
that they do indeed have a way to reference your purchase and it's date and
price if you need to return it or it is defective and needs to be exchange
so that you aren't SOL and they don't have a ticked off customer who they
have no proof of purchasing through them.

What is the worst thing they could do with your information anyway? Send
you a catalog or sales announcement? Geez, stop being so paranoid and by
the way, try being polite to salespeople in stores instead of an arrogant,
self-righteous weenie. The guy making $8 an hour is told to ask for certain
information. Want to buy an extra phone at your local cellular phone shop,
well you'll have to give your name. Oh and by the way, if a retailer can
track it's customer's purchases, they can develop purchase pattern
information which can help them to stock product that you want or would be
inclined to purchase versus something the buyer "thinks" people like because
that person does and they can go back to their data and say, well you know
we sold 5 times as many Continental tires in red as we did in the generic
tan and black, let's make sure we order appropriately so that we don't
disappoint you Mr. Customer when you come in to buy another couple sets of
red and gee, we ran out 2 weeks ago and we won't be able to get any for
another 2 weeks...they lose a sale, you leave frustrated, have to go
elsewhere, you've wasted time and accomplished nothing and spend half the
rest of the day finding someone else locally who has the tires in the color
you want for your ride tomorrow. Isn't that a better way to run a company
than your way? I'm sure you aren't in sales and you are not in a
decision-making role whatever you do. And one last thing, if you were the
norm, they wouldn't ask the question. Maybe you would be more relaxed if
you left down your guard, relaxed a bit and got off your high horse. I'm
sure you pay taxes dude, so uncle Sam already knows who you are and where
you live. I'm sure your sense of importance is self-importance and I'm sure
you are nothing more than a cog in someone else's wheel at best. And by the
way, try shopping for stuff at a locally owned pro shop and support your
local merchants for a change. I'm sure you don't mind telling them your
name, particularly when you drop your bike for some servicing! Or your
local cleaner or where you make an appointment to get your hair cut or lawn
mowed or car serviced. Such inanity! Dan

"Sam Yorko" wrote in message
Went in to my local Performance to buy a Topeak Mountain Morph pump
(they're on sale). At the cash register, they demanded my name to
complete the purchase. Only after I almost walked out did they relent
on the demand.

The excuse offered: in case I lost the receipt, they could look up the
transaction if I wanted to return my purchase.

Well, OK, that's the story being offered to the customers. And, even
believing for the moment that that is the only reason for getting the
customer name, that doesn't preclude some marketing dweeb within
Performance in the future deciding that there is all this nice customer
data just sitting around, and it's time to mine it for marketing
purposes.

No thanks.

Sam

Old August 24th 03, 01:29 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:04:37 -0800, Sam Yorko
wrote:

Went in to my local Performance to buy a Topeak Mountain Morph pump
(they're on sale). At the cash register, they demanded my name to
complete the purchase. Only after I almost walked out did they relent
on the demand.

The excuse offered: in case I lost the receipt, they could look up the
transaction if I wanted to return my purchase.

Well, OK, that's the story being offered to the customers. And, even
believing for the moment that that is the only reason for getting the
customer name, that doesn't preclude some marketing dweeb within
Performance in the future deciding that there is all this nice customer
data just sitting around, and it's time to mine it for marketing
purposes.

No thanks.

Sam

If you don't want to give a name and the person behind the register is
being told by management that s/he must get names, give a fake name
and address.

If it is for warranty purposes only, all that counts is you
remembering what name you used at that store.
Old August 24th 03, 01:55 AM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

If you don't want to give a name and the person behind the register is
being told by management that s/he must get names, give a fake name
and address.

If it is for warranty purposes only, all that counts is you
remembering what name you used at that store.

Yeah, unless they ask for a driver's license to make sure you're the right
person!

Pat in TX

Old August 24th 03, 02:48 AM
Don Wiss

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Sam Yorko wrote:

Went in to my local Performance to buy a Topeak Mountain Morph pump
(they're on sale). At the cash register, they demanded my name to
complete the purchase. Only after I almost walked out did they relent
on the demand.

The excuse offered: in case I lost the receipt, they could look up the
transaction if I wanted to return my purchase.

So what are they going to do with only your name? Without an address it
isn't good for much, other than as a way to control returns.

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Old August 24th 03, 03:16 AM
Jeff

"Dan O'Brasky" wrote in message
It's your name dweeb. They do so at a lot of stores including CompUSA so
that they do indeed have a way to reference your purchase and it's date

and
price if you need to return it or it is defective and needs to be exchange
so that you aren't SOL and they don't have a ticked off customer who they
have no proof of purchasing through them.

That's what receipts are for. If Joe Customer is too incompetant to safely
save his receipts, he deserves no support from the retailer.

[...]

As far as tracking their sales, they don't need my name to track the
quantities of each product sold in a given period; they can do that by
scanning the barcode on the product and updating their database accordingly.

Cellular phone service represents an on-going business relationship; of
course the vendor has both a need and a right to know who I am. Buying a
bicycle pump, for cash, is a one-time encounter and the vendor has no need,
and therefore no right, to know anything about me. You're comparing Apples
and PCs.

Personally, I don't really care who tracks what information about me (I
don't know about the OP). I do get annoyed with companies who want my name
and address and phone number when I'm making a small cash purchase. They
are making a big production, and wasting time, over a trivial sale.
Information that they don't need they don't get.

Actually, given the rising number of identity thefts each year, we probably
ought not be cavalier with our personal information.

Old August 24th 03, 05:29 AM
B. Sanders

"Ray Heindl" wrote in message
Sam Yorko wrote:

Went in to my local Performance to buy a Topeak Mountain Morph
pump (they're on sale). At the cash register, they demanded my
name to complete the purchase. Only after I almost walked out did
they relent on the demand.

The excuse offered: in case I lost the receipt, they could look up
the transaction if I wanted to return my purchase.

They apparently think it's better to insult their customers by assuming
they're idiots than to admit they want to collect info for their
marketing database.

Well, OK, that's the story being offered to the customers. And,
even believing for the moment that that is the only reason for
getting the customer name, that doesn't preclude some marketing
dweeb within Performance in the future deciding that there is all
this nice customer data just sitting around, and it's time to mine
it for marketing purposes.

No thanks.

Radio Shack used to ask for a phone number, even for the most trivial
purchases. But they were always nice about my refusal to give them any
info. Once enough people refuse at Performance they'll probably quit
being obnoxious about it. If not, you can always vote with your feet.
Or make up a name and address and let them waste the cost of mailing
their innumerable catalogs.

Heh. Yeah, I like that idea. We should all use the same name, just to
cause a huge, inexplicable spike in the data.

-Barry

Old August 24th 03, 05:58 AM
Bernie

wrote:

[...]

You don't mind lying about who you are just to get a cashier out of your
face? Sorry. I won't do it. Radio Shack used to be prretty insistent
about name, etc. blablah,. The proper thing (IMHO) is to decline to give up
the information and keep your receipt.
Why do they need to know?
Bernie

Old August 24th 03, 01:36 PM
example.com

Yeah, unless they ask for a driver's license to make sure you're the right
person!

I don't have a license, that's why I'm here, I ride a bike...

x-no-archive:yes

Old August 24th 03, 02:35 PM
Don Wiss

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, "example.com" wrote:

Yeah, unless they ask for a driver's license to make sure you're the right
person!

I don't have a license, that's why I'm here, I ride a bike...

NY State issues an non-driver ID card that looks almost exactly like a
driver's license. You also get them at the Motor Vehicles Dept. More info
he http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#nondriver. Then follow link
to "brochure" for picture.

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Old August 24th 03, 03:06 PM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
Dan O'Brasky wrote:

What is the worst thing they could do with your information anyway? Send
you a catalog or sales announcement?

Sell it a thousand times for a penny and god help you if you gave them
a phone number.