Bikes and Ham Radio

Old August 29th 03, 10:16 PM
KØHB

Default Bikes and Ham Radio

Recently took up recreational bicycling as a means of exercise and
relaxation. My bike is a Marin "Redwoods" model.

One of my other hobbies is ham radio, and I carry a Yaesu VX-5R HT on my
belt for "company" and possible means of summoning help (I ride on some
rather isolated rural trails sometimes). I'm looking for a plug-in
lightweight headset (preferably earbud and throat mike) with a PTT switch
which I could situate on the handlebars.

Anyone here know of such a unit which works with the Yaesu radios?

--
ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB

Old August 30th 03, 12:24 AM
ThreeLeggedDog

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:16:53 GMT, "KØHB" wrote:

Recently took up recreational bicycling as a means of exercise and
relaxation. My bike is a Marin "Redwoods" model.

One of my other hobbies is ham radio, and I carry a Yaesu VX-5R HT on my
belt for "company" and possible means of summoning help (I ride on some
rather isolated rural trails sometimes). I'm looking for a plug-in
lightweight headset (preferably earbud and throat mike) with a PTT switch
which I could situate on the handlebars.

Anyone here know of such a unit which works with the Yaesu radios?

--
ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB

If you haven't already check out the MH-37A4B. That may be what your
looking for.

Even if it isn't, post an update if you find one and use it for a
while. I found nothing that could hold up to daily use on a Motorola
Radius.
Old August 30th 03, 02:39 AM
Thomas Reynolds

"KØHB" wrote in message nk.net...
Recently took up recreational bicycling as a means of exercise and
relaxation. My bike is a Marin "Redwoods" model.

One of my other hobbies is ham radio, and I carry a Yaesu VX-5R HT on my
belt for "company" and possible means of summoning help (I ride on some
rather isolated rural trails sometimes). I'm looking for a plug-in
lightweight headset (preferably earbud and throat mike) with a PTT switch
which I could situate on the handlebars.

Anyone here know of such a unit which works with the Yaesu radios?

--
ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB

Ham Radio Outlet sells an earpiece with a small boom mike. I don't
recall the model number or manufacturer but I use them with both a VX1
and an FT50. I use it more to listen to PBS or the ballgame while
riding than hamming. The PTT switch could be mounted on the handlebar
but I find it more convenient to clip it too my shirt collar. Most of
my hamming/cycling occurs during endurance events when I communicate
to my crew (also hams) in the support van. Moving my hand to my
jersey collar to press the mic button has never been a problem.

73s,
Tom
Old August 31st 03, 04:47 PM
Skip

"KØHB" wrote in message
k.net...
Recently took up recreational bicycling as a means of exercise and
relaxation.

--
ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB
--

Welcome to the hobby(ies).

You may be interested in the Bicycle Mobile Hams of America
(http://bmha.lafetra.com) and/or
Both vary between "not much going on" and "a fair amount of activity".

In my case, I've found that a headset provides a lot of transmitted wind
noise (although putting tape over many of the microphone's "vent holes"
reduced this problem quite a bit). My currently-preferred solution is an
in-the-ear solution (think of a speakermike stuck in your ear -- including
the microphone).

- Skip AA6WK

Old August 31st 03, 05:36 PM
Eric Oyen - N7ZZT

Radio Shack used to have one that was nice. it could work with just about
any radio that had the small mic jack and the slightly larger ear jack
side by side.

I have one here, but the ptt switch has since gone south (use the vox
almost exclusively on it these days).

Check with radio shack or your nearest Ham radio outlet or AEA store.

DE N7ZZT
Phoenix, Arizona

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:16:53 +0000, KØHB wrote:

Recently took up recreational bicycling as a means of exercise and
relaxation. My bike is a Marin "Redwoods" model.

One of my other hobbies is ham radio, and I carry a Yaesu VX-5R HT on my
belt for "company" and possible means of summoning help (I ride on some
rather isolated rural trails sometimes). I'm looking for a plug-in
lightweight headset (preferably earbud and throat mike) with a PTT switch
which I could situate on the handlebars.

Anyone here know of such a unit which works with the Yaesu radios?

--
ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB
--
Help support youth involved in Amateur Radio.
http://www.mnyarc.org
http://www.k0bsa.org

--
the difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence
has its limits.