Beating a NYC bike traffic ticket on a technicality

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 11th 03, 04:05 AM
JoeD

Default Beating a NYC bike traffic ticket on a technicality

Hi,

I have been riding around NYC off and on for 30 years. After 9/11, I
decided to minimize the use of my car and gas consumption, I began
commuting to work by bike again averaging over 4000 miles a year. I
consider myself a reasonble and safe rider. I wear a a helmet and have
blinking lights in the front and back.
I got my first ticket recently. Although I have never fought a ticket
before and I want to fight this one.

The ticket describes the infraction as " improper riding of bicycle" in
violation of section 1232 sub A.

Section 1232. Riding on bicycles.
(a) A person propelling a bicycle shall not ride other than upon or
astride a permanent and regular seat attached thereto, nor shall he ride
with his feet removed from the pedals.

I ride an older well maintained road bike with toe clips so the above
violation I am being accused of does not describe the infraction at all.
If the police officer shows up, can I assume that since he selected the
wrong violation that I would win on a technicality?

The ironic thing was that a SUV ran a red light right in front of me and
this police officer in his squad car while we were both waiting for my
light to turn green, and he gives me a ticket.

Any constructive comments to fight this ticket are welcomed.

Regards

Joe