Watch out, there's a thief about.

Old October 18th 11, 03:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Watch out, there's a thief about.

On Oct 17, 8:01*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:

The share price has *crept up slightly since the costs to them of their
environmental disaster are now not going to be as high as they first seemed.
They have a long way to go to get back to pre-disaster price. *I am surprised
Simple has not told us how much the disaster cost him personally.

A pocket calculator would tell you.

If rise of 20p made him £1,800, a fall of 358p would have lost him
£32,220.

Ah but the day after the oil started to come up, I saw what the
consequences were going to be in a few seconds and sold every single
share I had for 6-22 in April '10, as it did not take Einstein to work
out what was going to happen to the share price.
..
Two months later the price was 2-96, so I made a packet and since then
I have been buying them back for peanuts.

Win - win.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 18th 11, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:34:32 +0100, Judith
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:01:15 +0100, Bertie Wooster wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:06:36 +0100, Judith
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:35:44 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

snip

My company shares had gone up 20p this morning meaning that I had made
around 1800 quid in the time it took me to walk there, so I was
feeling flush.

The share price has crept up slightly since the costs to them of their
environmental disaster are now not going to be as high as they first seemed.
They have a long way to go to get back to pre-disaster price. I am surprised
Simple has not told us how much the disaster cost him personally.

A pocket calculator would tell you.

If rise of 20p made him £1,800, a fall of 358p would have lost him
£32,220.

Bugger - you are not playing fair at all.

He really did not want to know that :-)

Ahhh... But that's not the full picture.

I expect he was in some sort of scheme whereby he had the option to
buy shares set at 20% below market value some five years earlier.

If that, or similar, is the case his actual loss would have been
substantially less than the figure I quoted, or maybe not even a loss.

I wonder why so many of the psycholists here have to tell us how much they have spent on this thing or that thing.

I think it must be some sort of insecurity.

Old October 18th 11, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:25:03 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Oct 17, 8:01*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:

The share price has *crept up slightly since the costs to them of their
environmental disaster are now not going to be as high as they first seemed.
They have a long way to go to get back to pre-disaster price. *I am surprised
Simple has not told us how much the disaster cost him personally.

A pocket calculator would tell you.

If rise of 20p made him £1,800, a fall of 358p would have lost him
£32,220.

Ah but the day after the oil started to come up, I saw what the
consequences were going to be in a few seconds and sold every single
share I had for 6-22 in April '10, as it did not take Einstein to work
out what was going to happen to the share price.

Wow! Impressive.

I flogged my Japanene tracker fund to pay the deposit on my house,
then saw the price climb initially; the following month Japan suffered
a triple whammy - Earthquake, Tsunami and Nuclear Meltdown. That was
luck not judgement.

I flogged a large portion of my FTSE tracker on 12 April this year
(just into the new tax year to avoid income tax) to fund the
refurbishment works to my new house. The value then peaked in Early
May and has fallen steadily since. I bought the tracker fund on the
eve of the land attack of the Second Oil War (19 February 2003) for
68.02p per sha I sold at 130.6p, it peaked at 131.8p; it's now
worth 112.83p.

Two months later the price was 2-96, so I made a packet and since then
I have been buying them back for peanuts.

Win - win.

Or, in Judith's mind, envy - envy.
Old October 18th 11, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Oct 18, 8:05*am, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:34:32 +0100, Judith

If rise of 20p made him £1,800, a fall of 358p would have lost him
£32,220.

Bugger - you are not playing fair at all.

He really did not want to know that :-)

Ahhh... But that's not the full picture.

I expect he was in some sort of scheme whereby he had the option to
buy shares set at 20% below market value some five years earlier.

If that, or similar, is the case his actual loss would have been
substantially less than the figure I quoted, or maybe not even a loss.

That's right, a load of those will mature in Sep '12, so I don't care
what price they are today just as long as they are above the option
price next year which they will be.

There is also a parallel scheme where we buy 125 quids worth of shares
every month and we get two free shares on top.
After 5 years we can sell them tax free, so with price as low as it is
now, we are simply getting more shares for our 125 quid.

As I said, the last time I actually sold any, they were 6-22.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 18th 11, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Oct 18, 8:20*am, Bertie Wooster wrote:

Ah but the day after the oil started to come up, I saw what the
consequences were going to be in a few seconds and sold every single
share I had for 6-22 in April '10, as it did not take Einstein to work
out what was going to happen to the share price.

Wow! Impressive.

I flogged my Japanene tracker fund to pay the deposit on my house,
then saw the price climb initially; the following month Japan suffered
a triple whammy - Earthquake, Tsunami and Nuclear Meltdown. That was
luck not judgement.

I am a typical Scorpio male.
We can see a situation, analyse it and then figure out the
consequences in less than a second.
When a road opened between Hungary and Austria during the Cold War and
the guards did not shoot people passing through that chink in the Iron
Curtain, in an instant I knew that in a short time the whole Soviet
empire would collapse, which it did.
When Tiger Woods' wife chucked that golf club at him, I told my oppo
that the idiot would never win a golf match again, now he is out of
the Top 50.
There are many more examples of that.
I have a very analytical brain which can amass a large amount of data
and figure out what the end result will be.

That is my job as well.

Someone gives me an totally unknown chemical out of an old drum from
50 years ago that needs disposing of and I have to analyse it. I use a
variety of techniques to find out what it is. One such sample was
labelled up "very nasty stuff" which is not much of a start, but I
didn't need a clue. I did a pH on it and it was 0.1.
Christ I thought, that is bloody acidic. I then noted it was orange
which indicates a dichromate ion, so I analysed it for Chromium which
came back as 20%, but it also had 30% zinc in it. I then concluded it
was a solution of Zinc Chromate in Chromic Acid once used to treat
zinc plate to make it corrosion resistant.
Very nasty stuff indeed if you splashed it on yourself.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 18th 11, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Oct 18, 8:23*am, Simon Mason wrote:
..

There is also a parallel scheme where we buy 125 quids worth of shares
every month and we get two free shares on top.
After 5 years we can sell them tax free, so with price as low as it is
now, we are simply getting more shares for our 125 quid.

What I should have said was that for every free share we buy, we get
other two free ones on top.
So that 125 quid will be worth at least 375 quid after five years.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 18th 11, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:23:09 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

snip

That's right, a load of those will mature in Sep '12, so I don't care
what price they are today just as long as they are above the option
price next year which they will be.

There is also a parallel scheme where we buy 125 quids worth of shares
every month and we get two free shares on top.
After 5 years we can sell them tax free, so with price as low as it is
now, we are simply getting more shares for our 125 quid.

As I said, the last time I actually sold any, they were 6-22.

You will soon be able to afford a decent car.

Old October 18th 11, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

.
Two months later the price was 2-96, so I made a packet and since then
I have been buying them back for peanuts.

Win - win.

You will be telling us that you have a really good job paying more than the
minimum wage in a minute.

Old October 18th 11, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 01:52:31 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

[...]

I must write it up and tell people how smart I am - my education, my jobs - not
forgetting my salaries and share options.

I suppose a cycling newsgroup will be the perfect place to share this.

Old October 18th 11, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

wrote:

[...]

I have to be more organised than that.

I keep a very detailed record of my assets, and I can tell you the
history in fine detail. E.g. The value of my cash assets rose £3,418
week ending 30 Sept; fell £4,854 week ending 7 Oct (however, I did
give my builder a cheque for £5,000); rose £2,816 week ending 14 Oct,
and are up £1,874 so far this week.

The best I can do is have a good guess at the total value of all my
assets. I reckon they have risen by between £31,000 and £75,000 per
annum since April 2006.

With interest rates at record lows, and savings rates in negative
territory in real terms I have spent the last year or so moving from
net saver to net borrower. It is a long term strategy, and this change
should produce dividends throughout my retirement - which I hope to be
in ten years when I turn 55.