Cannondale Road Warrior 600 - Can this possibly be normal?

Old August 6th 04, 12:41 AM
Mark Jones

Default Cannondale Road Warrior 600 - Can this possibly be normal?

"Keith Boone" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
Now here's my problem which I only noticed at home: when I turn the
handle bars more than a few degrees, the front tire will hit my foot!
Basically you have to stop pedaling in order to turn the handlebars.
The wheel hits my foot just forward of the ball of my foot around the
base of the toes - in other words the clearance is too short by about 2
inches.

I have this problem on my Trek 1200 because I removed the
toe clips from the pedals because I came close to dumping
the bike a couple of times. It is easy to let your feet get a
little too far forward and get it in the turn path of the tire.

Old August 6th 04, 01:36 AM
Keith Boone

Robert wrote:

Think of the track riders. they often have lots of overlap, ride real
slow on the curves (during the first laps of the sprint), do trackstands
. . . no problem for them either.

Believe me, you have *not* made a mistake by buying this frame.

/Robert

Thanks Robert, and everyone else who replied. It seems that everyone
agrees toe overlap is not a problem except at very slow speeds, and I
appreciate the input. My point of view however is that I end up going
slow many times during each ride - every time I slow for a stop, and
every time a pull away again. There are also enough times when I'm on a
mixed use path that I have to slow way down to weave between pedistrians
blocking tha path or some other obstacle.

Maybe I'm just being way too cautious, but I want to feel comfortable
with the bike, so I have returned it, and I'm getting a Trek 7500 FX.

Thanks again for the help.

-Keith
Old August 6th 04, 04:09 AM
Paul Kopit

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:16:15 GMT, Keith Boone
wrote:

So what say you all? Do I have to learn to ride without turning the
bars? Accomplish every turn by leaning only? Amputate my toes???
I'll be contacting the LBS first thing in the morning, but I'd like to
be armed in advance with more information and opinions from the experts.
Comments anyone?

At 10 mph, try to make the front wheel hit your foot. Try it at 5
mph. You can do it only at very low speed and when making a very
sharp turn. You will not fall when the foot touches the tire.

Toe overlap is common.