How can tires ride "harsh"?

Old August 4th 04, 08:32 PM
Ralph Bean

Default How can tires ride "harsh"?

"Lewis Campbell" wrote in message
om...
Tires can NOT ride 'harsh'.

They might ride 'harshly', in which case you may have 'harsh words for

them.

Hoping this will help you.

Lewis.

Lewis -

So, do you 'think big' or 'think largely'?

Just curious...

Old August 4th 04, 09:43 PM
Lewis Campbell

Thanks for taking the time to think about this.

Here in Texas _I_ would say (and I think your English teacher from
college would agree) "the stars shine brightly".

However, this being Texas, I think it fair to say that most of my
friends would say, "the stars shine bright". YIKES!!!!!

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*************************************

(Gary Young) wrote in message . com...
(Lewis Campbell) wrote in message . com...
Tires can NOT ride 'harsh'.

They might ride 'harshly', in which case you may have 'harsh words for them.

Hoping this will help you.

Lewis.

Since you're lecturing other people on grammar, perhaps you know what
you're talking about, but I'm not convinced. To me, "the tires ride
harshly" conveys the idea that it's the tires doing the riding,
whereas the OP was trying to convey the idea that the tires are harsh
in their ride. Do you also think "the stars shine bright" should be
"the stars shine brightly"?

Old August 4th 04, 10:57 PM
Gary Young

(Gary Young) wrote in message . com...
(Lewis Campbell) wrote in message . com...
Tires can NOT ride 'harsh'.

They might ride 'harshly', in which case you may have 'harsh words for them.

Hoping this will help you.

Lewis.

Since you're lecturing other people on grammar, perhaps you know what
you're talking about, but I'm not convinced. To me, "the tires ride
harshly" conveys the idea that it's the tires doing the riding,
whereas the OP was trying to convey the idea that the tires are harsh
in their ride. Do you also think "the stars shine bright" should be
"the stars shine brightly"?

I just consulted English Grammar, by George O. Curme ("Late Professor
of Germanic Philology, Northwestern University"), copyright 1947 (in
other words, no post-6Os generation grammatical slacker).

According to Prof. Curme, some adverbs "have in part no distinctive
form, as in here, there, then, where, when, why, long, slow, fast,
quick, etc." To this list, I personally would add "harsh."

Other adverbs "have the distinctive suffix -ly, as in rapidly,
diligently, etc., also often in case of some of the words in the first
group, which now have a more common form in -ly alongside their simple
form, as in slowly, quickly, etc."

He goes on to say that where an adverb has both a simple form and an
-ly form, the meaning is sometimes different. "'He works hard,' but 'I
could hardly hear him.'"

Though "harshly" sounds wrong to my ear, it seems either harsh or
harshly is correct.
Old August 5th 04, 08:59 AM
James Thomson

wrote:

Dear Gary,

Oh, holy night, the stars are brightly shining . . .

J.S. Dwight

Dear Carl,

The Sun came up upon the left,
Out of the sea came he!
And he shone bright, and on the right
Went down into the sea.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Old August 5th 04, 04:11 PM
John Dacey

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:59:16 +0200, "James Thomson"

Dear Gary,

Oh, holy night, the stars are brightly shining . . .

J.S. Dwight

Dear Carl,

The Sun came up upon the left,
Out of the sea came he!
And he shone bright, and on the right
Went down into the sea.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

O the moon shone bright on Mrs. Porter
And on her daughter
They wash their feet in soda water
Et, O ces voix d'enfants, chantant dans la coupole!

T.S. Eliot or g.daniels, I forget which.

Poets are often lousy examples of proper usage, since many (most)
avail themselves of the "poetic license" clause which allows them to
commit any linguistic crime in the name of rhyme or meter. Only our
own Limericker Emeritus, Carl Fogel has proven to be above such
liberties. Other poets are as likely to mix adjectives for adverbs as
many rbt'ers are to cavalierly mix the snap-connector from one chain
mfr. with the links of another.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Our catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com
Old August 5th 04, 09:20 PM
Ralph Bean

Indeed, I take issue with Mr. Campbell's grammar lesson as well.

A very simplistic view of English grammar is that every word that appears to
modify a verb must be an adverb. In fact, there is a class of "linking"
verbs that
link subject with complement. At first glance, it may appear that the
complement
modifes the verb, but the modification is essentially shared between subject
and
verb, with the nod given to the subject. Bottom line: with linking verbs
the
complement is an adjective, not an adverb, because it modifies the subject,
a noun.

If you know what to search for (a Catch-22 for sure), you can find many