Tubeless Tires

Old August 1st 18, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Tubeless Tires

On 7/31/2018 11:44 PM, James wrote:
On 01/08/18 12:32, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2018 11:00 AM, wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 5:02:58 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/27/2018 7:36 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/27/2018 3:13 PM,
wrote:

I have a problem understanding what sort of riding you people are
doing. Joerg and I seem to ride in the same manner as does (or did)
Joy. 32 mm tires are for Cross or Gravel bikes. Why would you ride a
high rolling resistance tire on a commuter which operates in the
speed
regime where rolling resistance is the prime source of friction?

I'm not certain, but you seem to be implying that 25mm tires must roll
easier than _32mm_ tires. I don't believe that's the case.

https://road.cc/content/feature/1825...ch-wider-tyres

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/...es-are-slower/

https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_i...ing_resistance

Sorry, I corrected my typo. "you seem to be implying that 25mm tires
must roll easier than _32mm_ tires."

Frank - of course there is a point of diminishing returns. The
pressure to support a rider gets lower and lower with increasing tire
width so at some point the amount of rubber on the road starts to
increase the rolling resistance.

Here's another Jan Heine article on the topic:
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/...ure-take-home/

A friend rode a fat bike for some distance (70-80km I think) over the
weekend.Â* He found it a real drag to pedal compared to his dual
suspension MTB.

Fatter tyres must be heavier and contribute more aerodynamic drag.

There must be a point at which the lower rolling resistance of wider
tyres is outweighed by the increased weight and aerodynamic drag.

Yes, and I think the point moves or varies depending on several factors,
for example average speed, roughness of the road or trail surface, mass
of the rider, construction of the tire, etc.

But on our cracked, potholed and patched roads, I know riders who are
still running 120 to 160 psi on 19mm or 21mm tires. I'm positive they're
mistaken in their belief that those are faster.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 4th 18, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 7:32:36 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2018 11:00 AM, wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 5:02:58 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/27/2018 7:36 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/27/2018 3:13 PM,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 10:15:02 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 17:39:49 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

A couple of months ago I was struck by a car that decided four way
stop intersections were not what they meant. I had come to a
complete stop and allowed ALL of the traffic to pass and started
across. I got 2/3eds of the way across and the woman who had been
behind a pickup I let pass rolled the stop sign and accelerated
directly into me. She was obviously distracted but the old bat might
have been having her first clear shot at a bike for all I know.

In any case perhaps I should start from the beginning - back around
2008 I bought a new Time VX Elite carbon fiber bike. With the normal
120 psi 23 mm tires it was completely un-ridable. It was so stiff it
would hammer your balls through your skull on the first bump. So it
went up on the shelf. I removed the components and used them
elsewhere and that frame just sat there. Anyway I decided to put it
back together and since the latest fad is fat tires I put 28 mm
Michelin Krylon Endurance on them. What an F-ING difference! With
the fat tires it is one of the best rides I've ever had.

My Pinarello Stelvio was the one I was riding when I was hit and
while the frame and fork came though OK every component on the bike
was broken.

I had Campy Scirroco CX wheels on it and I discovered that I HATE
aero wheels with a passion. Since her insurance company was paying
for it I bought a set of Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels that were last
year's and on clearance. When they arrived they were already set up
for Tubeless. Well, I had been wanting to try that as well.

The older steel bikes won't fit fat tires so the largest that would
fit are 25's. I installed the tires on the wheels. I had bought 4
ounce bottle of Orange sealant which was the best in the tests I read.

Now the tires will not go onto the rims because they are a bit
tight. So first I put the filler at the bottom and using a Park
Valve Tool I removed the valve head. Pumped in 2 ounces of Orange
then turned the wheel perhaps 1/8th of a turn so that when you
release the squeeze bottle it doesn't suck the sealant back in. Then
I hit it with a CO2 cartridge. POP!!! it was on and I rotated the
wheel while laying it on one side and then the other since initial
leaks are from the tire and rim not being a perfect fit.

Every morning I had to pump the tires up until I finally took it for
a ride and that fit the tires well onto the rim and the bumps packed
sealant into any voids.

Now the tires with tubes would normally run around 110 lbs and be
not very easy riding. But now I ride between 60 and 80 psi (letting
the pressure go down over a week before refilling).

The ride is exceptional. With the higher pressure they are sort of
bouncy so fast downhills can be scary. With the lower pressure the
rolling resistance doesn't seem to increase detectably. Riding with
guys with the high pressure tube tires I find myself coasting while
they are pedaling.

Not to mention they cannot get a pinch flat and with the sealant
they cannot get flats. So I can leave that damn 2 lb flat kit at
home and just take a multitool and a CO2 cartridge and filler just
in case I get a large enough hole that the tire gets too soft before
sealing. And I doubt I'll ever need that.

So if you've had any questions about how tubeless works I am quite
satisfied with it after a couple of months.

Now I ride sport bikes and I don't know that this would be a good
idea for 32 mm commuter tires. Though probably, because they talk
about using them for CX tires which have a lot of pinch flat
problems. But these normally run higher pressures than you would
with a tube in it. There's always the possibility of it blowing the
tire off of the rim unless you're using Mavic tires and rims
specifically designed to work together tubeless. As far as I know
Mavic are the only people to have "systems" designed.

One, off topic comment. Regardless of what a tire says on the side
there are optimum inflation pressures that are usually lower then the
numbers on the side walls - 110 psi - 120 psi.

Look up one of the numerous weight/pressure tables and try the
recommended pressure. You'd be surprised how comfortable they are.

I'm a little guy, 61 Kg and I usually run ~75 psi for the usual city
streets.

1. The tire manufacturer supplies a list of advised pressures for
rider weight.
2. The advised pressure for my weight on a 25 mm Michelin is 108-110 psi.
3. And with over 80,000 ft of climbing and over 2,500 miles so far
this year despite a couple of prime months lost to weather or medical
problems leaves me at over 82 kgs.

[...]

The tire manufacturers are quite implicit that you fill the tire to the recommended pressures. I'm 185 lbs when not riding really hard for awhile and the bikes weigh in another 22 lbs. This is 207 lbs or 93 kg.

So they recommend 0ver 110 psi for a 28 mm tire under these conditions. This is no doubt to prevent pinch flats since the tire will support the rider at lower pressures.
Old August 18th 18, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 5:39:51 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I again rode my tubeless which for the Pinarello are 25 mm. Running at 80 psi they actually felt a little over-inflated since there was a little too much "bounce" to them. I am 6'4" and right now weigh 181 lbs. The bike is 22 lbs complete with a very small seat pack that contains only a CO2 inflator and cartridge.

The rougher the surface the lower the pressure you should run. On a tubeless the limit is when the tire begins to "squirm" or roll around and threaten to slip off of the rim. On tube tires the threat of a pinch flat is there even at full pressure if you hit a sharp bump such as a missing utility cover which around here can be only 6" across.

In any case, the other guys were riding high pressure 23's with tubes in them. I was taking about 2 pedal strokes for every 3 they were and I was continually having to put the brakes on as I kept coasting up on them because the rolling resistance was so much less. If I take the lead and just pedal easy I drop them. But they are old farts like me so that is no surprise. This is why I ride lantern rouge.

This isn't in order to start any more arguments - it is giving the people who are interested in tubeless tires information that they can use and test for themselves.

As I said elsewhere - the lower performance rider you are the more important rolling resistance becomes because it is a larger percentage of the drag on you and the bike.
Old August 18th 18, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 2:41:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I have never used tubeless, so no comment there, but I think you're just faster than your friends, and tires probably have very little to do with the relative speed difference. Tell us how the tubeless compare to your prior light tube/light clinchers.

I'm working through my back-stock of 23mm Pro4s (I'm now using 25s on the fast bike) and have one of those on my rear wheel. I got a flat today and popped in a tube and hit it with a CO2 inflator -- 16g, and man, that really gets it rock hard, for better or worse. I'm pretty sure the flat was from a rock strike, but it wasn't a big blow-out. Anyway, sealant probably would have taken care of it, and flying down a hill with bad surface, a rock hard 23mm tire doesn't inspire confidence.

I did miss my discs a little. I had to bail out onto a gravel shoulder when a f****** meat-head in a PU pulling a boat went way over the center line and into my lane on a descent. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NPqQptjbF0 -- except sunny and dry. I stopped before going down a ravine, which was good.

And since I'm telling stories, there was a three or so mile gravel climb, which also sucks on narrow tires, and to add insult to injury, I ended up in a pack of gravel bikers -- more ad hoc Portland bike racing. I've got some OE wheels that came on my Emonda that I might set up as tubeless just to try the goop experience.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old August 19th 18, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 3:52:42 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Well, I am faster than they are but they didn't start out slow yesterday. In the second mile they were doing 20 mph on the flats and that isn't like them. Especially since the guy leading was on knobbies.

The trouble is that old guys can tire themselves out fast and we stopped for coffee at the half way mark and after that they were dead slow. So the first half of the 25 miler was at record speed and the apple juice stop at the end had these guys looking like they are going to keel over. And one of them had another 7 miles to ride home. At that point he could barely hold 10 mph so my low rolling resistance really showed up and I was pedaling one stroke and then coooooaaaaaaaasssssssssttttttttt.

The problem with Portland shows plainly in your video - it's always wet all the time. I had that problem in Seattle - the dry days were wet.

On the Time Edge I'm trying to sell I could NOT ride it with hard 23's. But with 28's it really rides like a very good bike. That was the largest change I've ever seen in the ride of a bike. The 28's would fit on that bike but most modern bikes won't mount tires that large. On my old Basso I fit the Pro4 Endurance 25's. They are still tube tires since they're worn and I would wait for new one's.

I note that Vittoria now has a tire that uses Graphene in the cord so I bought a set to try. That is the strongest material known to man presently so they ought to be light. My only fear is that they will have gone too far trying to make it light and reduced the tread depth to so thin that they will wear out in a ride.

Oh well, the wheels and handlebars and compact front derailleur aren't due till the end of the month so I have to maintain patience. But rough estimates are that the finished bike will be about 16 lbs. My younger brother's Giant TCR-0 weighs that and every time I lift it up I'm amazed. So I'll get to try something that light out.

Old August 20th 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 8:11:10 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Man, it's been dry for months -- and hot. We were headed for a record of consecutive above 90F days and just missed because of the fires. The smoke rolled in and blocked the sun. Our first sub 80F weather will come at the end of next week.

Speaking of speed differentials, I was in a pick-up race last week and got dropped in a surge, which was a reminder that I've grown old. I was by far the oldest person there. This is Portland -- a Sunday morning Cat. 1-5 pick-up race with 50 people downtown and out to Sauvie Island (12M mostly flat loop 2X). It was a huge pack last week. You just find the right grupetto. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP1L9chBH-o Racing starts after the bridge at 1:50. Amazingly no squirrels in the bunch. A very stable group.

-- Jay Beattie.

Imagine Portland dry. I didn't think that possible.

Here we have this continuous crap about man-made global warming and then saying "It hasn't been this warm since 1911". Uh if it was this warm in 1911 exactly what man-made global warming did they have then? And "With all out work we're making inroads on global warming". Again, uh, we are emitting more CO2 than ever before. The US is the only country that tried to reduce their CO2 output and they did that by switching from coal fired power supplies to natural gas Twice the cost, 30% less energy per unit and no change whatsoever in CO2 emissions.

Now that scientists have a voice under Trump without losing their research grants suddenly that 97% of all scientists crap has disappeared. Now it's back to the real 2% of scientists think that CO2 causes global warming. And they are the same 2% that don't know anything about spectrometry.

Tubeless Tires [email protected] Techniques 5 April 12th 17 03:49 AM
tubeless tires steve Techniques 2 March 14th 08 12:18 PM
Tubeless vs Tubed Tires mary General 6 April 19th 05 02:53 PM
Tubeless tires MT Techniques 2 March 30th 05 09:08 AM
tubeless tires Operator Mountain Biking 10 July 26th 04 10:39 AM