Junior Drug Use?

Old November 7th 04, 03:22 PM
TritonRider

(gustavo)

I would be very curious to know what group and under what coaches and
circumstances this is occuring. If there is an association with USAC
they should look at contacting Greg Strock's atty. If adults are in
anyway involved they should be prosecuted for practicing medicine
without a license among many other civil charges including negligence.
From what I know of the Strock case it was too late for them to pursue
criminal charges, but if USAC hasn't learned their lesson this would
be an excellent opportunity. It is one thing if seasoned pros are
participating in doping, but a whole different ethical issue with Jrs.
and probably minors.

Take a look at who's involved in running Jrs. stuff here now, and who was
involved wiht the National Team stuff back then. Lot's of the same people.
Bill C
Old November 8th 04, 04:46 AM
chris

I feel like I'm deceased! Though I admit I'm a bit flattered. Still,
I imagine I'll have something going for next season, but it doesn't
look good for my program.

Hey, but I know the drill on killing juniors, the USCF were experts at
this for years. Ah, but I digress. Really what it comes down to is
team! Not to sound cliche, but team work counts for everything. I
like to take kids nobody wants and turn them into something; maybe not
superstars, but something, and I think we did that. I've got two kids
moving up, one is a cat 2 who I sent over to Sakonett and then other
we're waiting to see. However, Mr. Lafferty was talking drugs...

Well I've heard many stories of drug use in juniors. I think its
happening with some programs, some it performance enhancing, some
recreational, none of it good! I won't say what team/teams, but ****s
not all good. I think its ludicrous for kids to be doping for too
many reasons to name. But the woes of NE juniors goes beyond just
drug use; its all about guidance. Am I a good role model? I think
so, but I don't make stuff up to tell the kids. We had a lot of fun
this year...

Now if anyone has 10 grand, pass it along and I'll keep my program
going on my terms!
CH

From: "B. Lafferty"

A little birdie (unrelated to Wonkette) has told me of significant drug use
on junior teams, particularly in the Northeast. Does anyone else have
knowledge of this. BTW, I consider my source to be impeccable in this
regard.

Glad to back on topic, too bad it's this one though.
I don't ask the riders that I know, but I'm not real crazy about where were
headed with Jrs here. I have real questions about the couple of big
organizations that are left. They have track records of taking kids in, using
them up, and spitting them out with a hatred for everything cycling if they
can't/won't do what it takes to get to the top.
I'd rather put 100 kids into cat3 who loved to race, and maybe get a D1 pro
someday than burn out as many as needed to get that 1, D1.

I don't think that we should be taking anything all that seriously before they
are at least 16. It should be fun. Unfortunately that is NOT the prevailing
view here in NE today. Our kids race series opted out of the regional scoring,
and ranking that was being put together because we just didn't see our races
that way.
Ranking 10 year olds and scouting them for recruitment is pretty sad IMO.
I think that Chris Harnisch gave it a hell of a shot this year and did really
well, maybe too well for his own good.
With them gone for next year, if Robert was going to race again I'd either
keep him with our club, or beg Richie Sachs to take him on, because they've
both done a lot of really good things for young racers.
Bill C