GPS for Android

Old October 1st 12, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

Default GPS for Android

I'm trying to find a GPS application for Android that will use stored
maps and display the position and possibly the route taken.
Similar to Google Maps but using stored maps.

Yes, I know that Google Maps can store maps but ideally the stored
maps would be, say 10,000 Sq. Km. in area and so far I find that
impossible to accomplish with the Google Maps' save function.

Another function that would be necessary is that major items, road
names, etc. have to be printed in English as is done with Google Maps

Any help greatly appreciated.
--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 1st 12, 11:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...1138&bih =629

http://geography.about.com/od/usmaps/a/states-area.htm

where are you headed ?
try Garmin at Walmart

Old October 1st 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 17:32:42 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I'm trying to find a GPS application for Android that will use stored
maps and display the position and possibly the route taken.
Similar to Google Maps but using stored maps.

Yes, I know that Google Maps can store maps but ideally the stored
maps would be, say 10,000 Sq. Km. in area and so far I find that
impossible to accomplish with the Google Maps' save function.

Google goes through some effort to protect its maps. Instead, use a
different map database such as OpenStreetMap.

I'm still using my iPhone 3G with MotionX application for bicycle
navigation and have not bothered finding a suitable Android app. I've
been using a hiking application called MyTrails:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frogsparks.mytrails&hl=en
which uses OpenStreetMap and OpenCycleMap. It supports offline maps,
but I haven't bothered to try it as its cached maps are good enough
for me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openstreetmap
http://www.openstreetmap.org
http://www.opencyclemap.org
http://code.google.com/p/gmapcatcher/

Storing 10,000 sq-km of maps is reasonable. (California is about
400,000 sq-km area). 10,000 sq-km is a box 100km on a side, which
would give you approximately a 50km ride in any direction. I'm not
sure that this would be enough coverage. However, if you're going to
zoom down to the level where you can see individual buildings, the
storage requirements might become exessive. If your Android device is
crammed full of movies and photos, you may run out of storage space.

Another function that would be necessary is that major items, road
names, etc. have to be printed in English as is done with Google Maps

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hint: Running the GPS in an Android phone is a great way to run the
battery down in a short time. My Droid X has a removable battery
making carrying a pocket full of batteries practical. However, with
todays non-removable battery Android phones, you will probably need an
external 5V power source. Something like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160884985262
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160877789144

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 1st 12, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/1/2012 3:32 AM, John B. wrote:

I'm trying to find a GPS application for Android that will use stored
maps and display the position and possibly the route taken.
Similar to Google Maps but using stored maps.

Yes, I know that Google Maps can store maps but ideally the stored
maps would be, say 10,000 Sq. Km. in area and so far I find that
impossible to accomplish with the Google Maps' save function.

Another function that would be necessary is that major items, road
names, etc. have to be printed in English as is done with Google Maps

Any help greatly appreciated.

I use CoPilot. Not free. I think it's $18 for the U.S. now. I have it on
a tablet and phone. It's gotten much better over the past year.

Old October 1st 12, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

I'm trying to find a GPS application for Android that will use stored
maps and display the position and possibly the route taken.
Similar to Google Maps but using stored maps.

Yes, I know that Google Maps can store maps but ideally the stored
maps would be, say 10,000 Sq. Km. in area and so far I find that
impossible to accomplish with the Google Maps' save function.

Another function that would be necessary is that major items, road
names, etc. have to be printed in English as is done with Google Maps

Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm very happy with Backcountry Navigator. It costs $10 US, but there's a
free demo version that I think is usable for 30 days.

Old October 1st 12, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

John B. wrote:

I'm trying to find a GPS application for Android that will use stored
maps and display the position and possibly the route taken.
Similar to Google Maps but using stored maps.

Try the apps using Open Street Map. OSMAnd will utilise stored maps (BIG
download) or online tiles if you're out of the stored area. It does the
tracking, but unfortunately for battery life insists on keeping the
screen lit while tracking. I also have OSMTrack, which uses online
maps only, but allows tracking to continue with the screen off. All the
Open Street Map maps in the UK have good coverage of footpaths and other
off-road trails, which Google maps and other motor vehicle-centric apps
do not. I cannot speak about coverage for the USA though.

Mike

Old October 2nd 12, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

wrote:

[...]

I tried out a couple of GPS apps that used OpenStreetMap that had
street names in the local language which is not helpful.

Storing 10,000 sq-km of maps is reasonable. (California is about
400,000 sq-km area). 10,000 sq-km is a box 100km on a side, which
would give you approximately a 50km ride in any direction. I'm not
sure that this would be enough coverage. However, if you're going to
zoom down to the level where you can see individual buildings, the
storage requirements might become exessive. If your Android device is
crammed full of movies and photos, you may run out of storage space.

The 10,000 sq.Km. is probably sufficient. As a general statement I
don't need GPS in rural areas, there's only one way to get there, but
I do in the cities. If you are on highway 102 between two cities you
probably won't get lost, but if you are in a municipal area where
streets change their name three times before you get to the river it
can be a problem.

Memory isn't really a problem, at least not yet :-)

Another function that would be necessary is that major items, road
names, etc. have to be printed in English as is done with Google Maps

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hint: Running the GPS in an Android phone is a great way to run the
battery down in a short time. My Droid X has a removable battery
making carrying a pocket full of batteries practical. However, with
todays non-removable battery Android phones, you will probably need an
external 5V power source. Something like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160884985262
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160877789144

Yes, I know that GPS uses batteries, which does become a problem on an
8 hour ride but if I have the on board maps there is no real necessity
to having the GPS on all the time. My main reason for having it is
when I get lost.

I've got one of those "power Packs" thingies. It works well.
--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 2nd 12, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 03:52:08 -0700 (PDT), datakoll
wrote:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...1138&bih =629

http://geography.about.com/od/usmaps/a/states-area.htm

where are you headed ?
try Garmin at Walmart

The idea was not to need an additional electronic marvel.
--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 2nd 12, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

John B. wrote:

I'm trying to find a GPS application for Android that will use stored
maps and display the position and possibly the route taken.
Similar to Google Maps but using stored maps.

Try the apps using Open Street Map. OSMAnd will utilise stored maps (BIG
download) or online tiles if you're out of the stored area. It does the
tracking, but unfortunately for battery life insists on keeping the
screen lit while tracking. I also have OSMTrack, which uses online
maps only, but allows tracking to continue with the screen off. All the
Open Street Map maps in the UK have good coverage of footpaths and other
off-road trails, which Google maps and other motor vehicle-centric apps
do not. I cannot speak about coverage for the USA though.

Mike

I did try them and the Thai maps use the Thai language, which I can
read just well enough to find a toilet. Other then that they are just
what I wanted. For SEA you can download the maps by countries and the
storage isn't excessive.

Ideal, if I could read them :-)
--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 2nd 12, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

pip pip alllllastern....yaaahaaaa rowers on the right yawl better shape up or its overboard...

itsa toy costs $100

rann ive a coupla tourers headed over the pass the upper Madison River, touring with a phone GPS.

I aske dthe rider without the phone where the GPS was n he said the cell guy handles space and time that he wasn't uptight about it but the cell guy was checking his progress.

I have one furmuh kayak with marine charts. Other yakkers go oooooohhh ahhhhh wooooww...

It hooks into a 1705E/9400 Dell on doghouse where it sits now using NROUTE a topo visual of where you are..

then to get over to X its Streets and Trips saving mega gas and energy.

Did a cross LA loop on a supply run with S&T....amazing....god bless the audiovox TV side view mirror merges from the right at 50-60 mph like from under abridge(s)

The marine VHF is a gas....I can speak with the Chinses freighter tellum I's stationary. They say 'haaaso kayak thank you....'

the guy without the cell phone was dubious yet tolerant.

cell towers are not universal.